Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Drinks! 2014 (Part 2)

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#91 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

What ratio did you use? I like Punt e Mes in my Manhattans, but it's assertive enough that I cut back on it versus a mellower sweet vermouth like, say, Dolin. You could always do what Death & Co. does and do a mix of Dolin Rouge and Punt e Mes in your Manhattans...

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#92 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

I went with the usual 2:1.

You are right, mixing with another sweet vermouth seems to be the way to go. I also suspect it may be something with the Bulleit rye and Punt that did not click, so trying a different rye is another option.

#93 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

From various eGullet posts I understand that the weather in some parts of the northern hemisphere is uncomfortably hot.  Here it is cool, dare I almost say cold, given the season of the year.  I walked home from work tonight without a jacket, and badly needed somewhat to warm my toes.  Particularly as I am dead tired and it is well after midnight.

The logical choice was a double autumn in Jersey.  Garnish of lovely fresh mint.

Unfortunately the Laird's bonded ran out.  Search as I might, I could not find another bottle.  How could this happen?  I ended up using half Laird's bonded and half Laird's 12 year.  One could do much worse.  I filled the measure to the very top with fresh squeezed lemon juice.  No idea quite how much that is.  But it sure works.  The drink is delightfully warming and sips slowly as a perfect foil for salted peanuts.

Any time now I should start to feel my toes.

#94 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,823 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:20 AM

A very nice Greenpoint with Bulleit rye, Margerum amaro, yellow chartreuse, Angostura and orange bitters (Fee + Regan).

14595289328_23591f6ef2_z.jpg

#95 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 163 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:37 PM

A drink called the Tempest popped up on Cocktail Virgin Slut. I had all the ingredients and have been looking for some non-Tiki uses for Passionfruit Syrup, and this fit the treat.

Tempest

1.5 Oz Ron Abuelo Rum (Appleton V/X)

0.75 Oz Meletti

0.5 Oz Passionfruit Syrup

1 Oz Lime Juice

1 Oz Soda Water

Shake with ice and strain an ice filled rocks glass.

This took me two attempts to make, as I missed the line about the soda water and ice the first time, and just did it up. The drink actually worked both ways, the soda-less version being excellently intense, the other was much more refreshing. This is a fantastic drink overall, one of the better uses of Meletti I have found.