Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

[Modernist Cuisine] I noticed an interesting typo: how to make zero calorie recipes

Modernist Cuisine Forums modernist Cookbook

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymous Modernist 3117

Anonymous Modernist 3117
  • general member
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:41 AM

Hi to all the team, and thanks for a most fantastic book

Juste one little thing, I noticed a small typo : if you look at the table on the top left corner of page 357 (units conversion) you will notice that the conversion factor from Joules to Kcal is expressed as... multiply by 0.000

Does this imply that to make calories dissapear from my meals all I have to do is to convert Kcal to Joules back and forth, to end up with a zero calorie dinner?

My guess is that the correct value should be 0.239. Irrelevant anyway since the concept of calories is an obsolete and inadequate method of evaluating the nutrition potential of food.

/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gif

Cheers from Belgium

Eric

#2 Wayt Gibbs

Wayt Gibbs
  • participating member
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:45 PM

To clarify, this error appears on page 5·XXXVIII. The value in the third row of the "Common Conversion Values" table was incorrectly truncated. It should read: J kcal 0.000239 Thanks for pointing out the error.
Wayt Gibbs
Editor in chief, Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Cooking and Modernist Cuisine at Home
The Cooking Lab, LLC

#3 Anonymous Modernist 9743

Anonymous Modernist 9743
  • general member
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Thanks to notify this.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist Cuisine Forums, modernist, Cookbook