Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

What Tea Are You Drinking Today? (Part 3)

• Please log in to reply
417 replies to this topic

#61 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

I'm having an oolong day too--the end of the Yunnan Sourcing Oriental Beauty that was so lovely, and now finishing a sample of Tie Guan Yin from Jing Tea Shop, and excellent tea that sadly faded a little as the sample drifted to the bottom of the tea box. Still nice, however, just not as brilliant as it was when freshly opened.

#62 nakji

nakji
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:40 PM

My husband brought me back an assortment of Kusmi Russian blends from a recent trip to Paris-- I think I'll give one of those a try this afternoon.

Russian teas! I haven't had one of those in years. Please report when you've tried some.

Jasmine tea for me today; the house blend at my favourite tea house in Suzhou.

#63 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

Yesterday, more of the Old Plantation Oolong; the Winter Harvest 2009 Jin Xuan Green Tea from Norbu Tea; the 2010 Organic Asatsuyu Shincha from yuuki-cha.com; and a puerh that Wholemeal Crank gave me last year. An interesting tea day.

Today I started with the puerh held over from yesterday. Delicious! Followed by the 2010 Organic Magokoro Shincha from yuuki-cha.com. Next? Probably a hojicha brewed in my truly weird lidless kyusu.

#64 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

Russian teas! I haven't had one of those in years.

That reminds me that I had a lovely tea in a Russian restaurant a few years ago--don't remember enough about it to be sure what was so special, but I recall it seeming like a black tea, with a little spice, and that even though it seemed like a black tea, I liked it.

Today was jade pole green tea from Yunnan Sourcing, a surprisingly delicious brewing, probably improved due to the better temperature control I have with the pino kettle, and a thermos of white bud sheng puerh. Not too much tea because I need to get to bed early for an early start tomorrow. I don't have any more white bud sheng here with me, so will have to do something different for the long drive ahead.

#65 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:08 PM

Started out today with the Castleton Estate Darjeeling, Wiry from teasource.com. I got his at least a year ago and it is beginning to fade; still good, but I should have been drinking more of it sooner.

During the Rangers vs Yankees game I sipped the 2010 Organic Asatsuyu Shincha from yuuki-cha.com in an unsuccessful attempt at keeping me calm. Now finishing the day with the Bai Mu Tan White Tea from The Cultured Cup.

There's a new Tea Tasting & Discussion in this forum featuring three first flush Darjeelings from Tea Source. Free samples! Check it out.

#66 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:26 PM

A quiet tea day here: Red label SeaDyke Ti Kuan Yin (a thermos full) and then some Camellia Sinensis Da Wu Ye (gongfu cha, quite nice), and some Tai Ping Hou Kui from Wing Hop Fung.

A nice mix of teas, but I need to get started earlier tomorrow so I can have some SENCHA to start the day.

#67 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:39 AM

Yesterday, the Nilgiri, the 2010 Organic Asahina Kabusecha featured in a previous TT&D and a Phoenix Mountain (DanCong) Oolong.

Starting out the day today with the Dian Hong Imperial, Hand Processed Yunnan Black (Red) Tea from Norbu Tea.

What teas are you all drinking today?

(There are free Darjeeling tea samples from Tea Source available to eGullet Society members. Check out the topic for the details.)

#68 12BottleBar

12BottleBar
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

My standard home brew is half Assam and half Ceylon. The wife loves Assams, but I find them too "tannin-y" sometimes. Personal favorite is Czar Alexander from Chado.

#69 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:48 PM

Slow, but good, tea day. In addition to the Dian Hong Imperial early today, Another very nice brewing session with the 2001 Organic Asahina Kabusecha (Shincha) from yuuki-cha.com. Interestingly, the fifth infusion was probably the best of many good infusions!

#70 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:03 AM

Today I couldn't wait and dove right into the Yunnan Jade Dragon tea from the TT&D, but ended up doing a rather fractured brewing, because I didn't really have enough time--first infusions before work, last infusions after. More in the TT&D soon after I treat it a little better. This afternoon, a thermos of the 2009 Lao Cha Tou, also from Norbu, a 'dump & add hot water' thermos full for a meeting. Such a forgiving tea on these occasions!

#71 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

I'll be interested to read your posts about the Jade Dragon in the Chinese Green Tea TT&D, WC.

Started the day with the Nilgiri Glendale Estate Handmade from teasource.com, and am now sipping - yet again - the 2010 Organic Ashina Kabusecha from yuuki-cha.com. I'm brewing it in various Japanese teapots to see if one does better than the others with this green tea.

#72 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:45 PM

Need to get the Jade Dragon pics off the camera first....

Started the day with it again. Then on to some chamomile hibiscus; Wuliang Shan loose sheng puerh from Norbu, and some of the spring 2010 Jin Xuan green tea (warming up the 'brewing muscles' for working with the winter version from the TT&D next); then some Hankook 'oolong' aka Hwang Cha, which I seem to enjoy more and more the more I drink of it. It just has such a long finish, and the finish doesn't just shade into a dilute sweetness, but retains an earthy fruity depth even as it fades. Unique.

#73 nakji

nakji
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:30 PM

The weather has changed a bit here in Suzhou, and my Chinese friends have said I should switch to a "red" tea to keep warm. I'm thinking of looking for a Keemun - any suggestions?

I have been so busy at work I have been drinking my Tie Guan Yin "grand-pa style" all day from my plastic mug. Tsk Tsk.

#74 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:33 PM

Several teas over the past few days ---

Black & Red Teas
Castleton Estate Darjeeling wiry and Nilgiri Glendale Estate, Handmade, both from Tea Source; Fujian Bai Liu Gongfu from jingteashop.com.

Green Teas
Jin Xuan Winter Harvest 2009 (Taiwan) and Jade Dragon (Yunnan) from Norbu Tea, both featured in the current Tea Tasting & Discussion. Plus the interesting (almost included it in the TT&D) Green/Oolong Xue Dian Mei Lan, also from Norbu. And the 2010 Organic Asahina Kabusecha (Shincha) from Yuuki-cha.com.

Oolong
The 2009 Spring Harvest Shui Jin Gui Wu Yi from Norbu.

I am sure I left out something.

So, what teas are you all drinking in your part of the world?

#75 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:14 PM

The same two teas from the tasting this weekend; also some young sheng mao cha from a tasting from another forum, more on those in the puerh topic after I get my notes transcribed; yesterday discovered that one of the 'commercial' dan congs I bought from Tea Habitat is not happy in the thermos--it acquired an unpleasant taste I attribute to the long holding, but could also have been due to overly careless brewing.

Today has been some more loose sheng mao cha from Norbu, the 2010 Spring Nan Nuo - Shi Tou Xin Zhai. Lovely and did very well in the thermos for clinic. This evening, Dragon Well, a couple of brewings.

#76 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

Had a particularly nice sencha this morning--the Honyama from Yuuki-cha--in my Sansai Hagi cup. It is quite large--holding easily 2 infusions from my small kyusu--really too large for my everyday use, but still feels very good in my hands, and looks even lovelier full of sencha.

Posted Image

#77 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

Handsome cup, WC.

The last couple of days, for red/black teas it's been Ceylon Vithanakanda Estate, Extra Special and Nilgiri Glendale Estate Handmade, both from Tea Source, and Dian Hong Imperial and Yi Mei Ren, Wuliang Mountain Yunnan red/black tea, both from Norbu Tea.

For green teas - 2001 Organic Asahina Kabusecha Shincha(many sessions) from Yuuki-cha, and Lots of Jade Dragon from Norbu. And a very nice session with the Old Plantation Qing Xin Oolong, 2009 Fall Harvest from Norbu.

BTW, yet another Tea Tasting & Discussion offering will go up within the next day or two. If you subscribe to this Coffee & Tea Forum, you'll be among the first to know.

So, what teas are you all drinking in your part of the world?

#78 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:09 PM

It's a Japanese tea day so far. The Organic Hime hikari black tea from Yuuki-cha, three very nice, smooth infusions this morning. And more of the 2010 Organic Asahina Kabusecha Shincha this afternoon. I think this one prefers to be brewed in the older Bizen hobin I used today - best balance of the tea pots I have tried so far.

What's brewing in your part of the world?

#79 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:25 PM

Yesterday the Ceylon Vithanakanda Estate, Extra Special from Tea Source. Followed by the Jade Spring 2010 Dragon Yunnan Green Tea and the Spring 2010 Jin Xuan Green Tea, both from Norbu Tea.

This morning started with a couple of cups of a Chinese red tea, the Fujian Bai Liu Gongfu from jingteashop.com. This a fine, lovely, complex red tea. Next? Probably a green tea and an Oolong.

What teas are you all drinking today?

#80 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

Only one tea today so far, because tonight I'll be sampling a number of teas at The Cultured Cup's T-Bar Club. I usually start the day with a red/black tea, but this morning pulled out a small Yixing container holding a late 90's Shu Puehr from yunnansourcing.com and drank many infusions.

#81 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:43 AM

Drinking a Castleton Estate Darjeeling, Wiry 2nd flush from Tea Source. This is one I bought from Tea Source last year, not from the current Tea Tasting & Discussion sample, and so may be somewhat different. This is one of a very few teas that I have bought more than an ounce or two, and it's still delicious after a year or so.

So, what's in your cup, tea sippers?

#82 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

The usual things lately....a little oolong, something green, oolong, morning sencha, and a new tea yesterday that is unidentified, a gift from a friend of a friend who visited China, and said to be very high quality. It is a bright green rolled tea, with a grassier than floral scent to the dried leaf, and a sweet oolong flavor in the first brewing--although since I was distracted, did not time it carefully enough, and was eating salsa-flavored chips before & after--so can't really report in detail on the flavors. Interestingly, the mystery teas leaves were quite broken up at the edges, but none of the edges were reddish.

#83 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:10 PM

Some typically variable tea days this weekend: Honyama sencha to start both days, and afterwards, some Hawaiian oolong, yunnan silver needle, Jade dragon green tea, and....horrible to contemplate....no puerh!

Today started with some 2010 spring TGY from norbu, but now will have to make up for lost opportunity with some puerh. The puerh tasting posted today reminds me of the excellent young loose puerh I have sitting in the drawer. Mmmmm.

#84 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:34 PM

Took a little detour on the way to the sheng puerhs, when the 2006 Menghai tribute brick shu puerh from Norbu caught my eye. More in the puerh topic, but long story short, it was very pleasingly fruity/sweet/earthy/spicy.

Fun to go treasure hunting in the puerh collection, and find them!

#85 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

The last two days the Organic Hime hikari Japanese black tea from Yuuki-Cha and the Yunnan Golden Tips from The Cultured Cup.

The Castleton Estate Darjeeling, Wiry from Tea Source again today for the morning cup. And for the last couple of hours, multiple infusions of the mild toasty-nutty Organic 2010 Asatsuyu Shincha/Sencha from yuuki-cha.

BTW, check out the current Darjeeling TT&D and the current offer of free samples of three new young sheng puerhs in newest TT&D, in this eG Coffee & Tea forum, of course.

#86 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

Yesterday I made some fall 2009 Taiwanese Tie Guan Yin, a heavy roasted version from Norbu, for my long drive. It's a bit more roasted than I prefer for daily drinking, but that heavy roast is reliable and stable when held for many hours on the road.

Today, the 2007 White Bud Sheng Puerh from Norbu, an old favorite that continues to make friends and influence people. Today, Lisa said, "this is the first time I haven't added anything--no honey or lemon or sugar--to my tea!"

And this was a cup from an admittedly inferior brewing--fit in around some crazy fast-paced work that went right through lunch--a 30 minute first infusion (not a typo, yes, 30 MINUTES!), several more almost as insane infusions, mixed in the thermos, and the end result was not only drinkable, but charmed someone new to my teas. Good job, dear puerh!

#87 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

Last weekend tea friend Greg Glancy and I tasted most of his new Japanese teas on norbutea.com in order to select some for a future Tea Tasting & Discussion. Wow! I was buzzing a bit at the end of four hours. Lots to choose from, but the TT&D will have to wait until sometime early next year. There's one more from another tea merchant that I hope to do before the end of the year, and that will be it for 2010.

This morning a Yi Mei Ren Chinese red/black tea from Norbu, enhanced by a Yixing teapot, as are all of the red Chinese teas I have brewed in it. Now on the third infusion of the 2010 Organic Kabusecha Shincha from yuuki-cha.com. I have been drinking a lot of this for the past week or 10 days. Have a new gyokuro in from yuuki-cha; I plan on opening the bag tonight or tomorrow and will report back.

So what teas are you all drinking in your part of the universe?

#88 Richard Kilgore

Richard Kilgore
  • 6,376 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

Ended up the day yesterday brewing a Norbu sample '05 Shu broken off a ginormous brick. Very nice. It's not on the norbutea.com website yet so I don't know the full name.

Started today with a Japanese black tea from yuuki-cha, the Organic Makurazaki Black Tea Hatsumomiji. More on this after I have played with it a bit.

#89 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:24 PM

Still haven't opened my black or oolong from Yuuki-cha yet. Working on too many others at this time.....

After lonely drinking yesterday--a quart of lovely 2007 white bud sheng puerh from norbu all to myself--today has been a sharing day. Started with sencha with breakfast, a particularly nice rich brewing of the Yuuki-cha sayamakaori, and then on to share some of Norbu's Huang Jin Gui at work with a candidate interviewing for a position with us, and while that particular batch might have been losing a bit of it's freshest bloom after being opened for more than a month now, I think it still helped to leave a good impression on her.

Then....well....a mistake. I was slow getting the afternoon thermos prepped, and after some good results with quite a few oolongs and puerhs recently from setting the tea to hot water in the Kamjove while I go down to lunch--ending up with mostly one very concentrated brewing, and pouring enough additional water through the leaves afterwards to get most of the residual flavor, generally with good results, I tried it with the wrong candidate. My Phoenix Honey Iris oolong from Wing Hop Fung turned rather unpleasantly bitter. Sigh. It wasn't horrible so it was still traded around a bit in the afternoon clinic, but people weren't clamoring for seconds, and much was mercifully dispatched before the evening session with Precious Rare [Anji] White Tea from WHF. Sweet, spicy, vegetal, rich, washed the sadness of the Phoenix honey iris right away. I love this stuff.

#90 Wholemeal Crank

Wholemeal Crank
  • participating member
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

Today, shared some Bi Luo green tea in the office, and this afternoon, a wonderful infusion of Wuliang Shan Mao Cha, Loose Sheng Puerh Tea, Spring 2009 Harvest by Norbu. Today I bulk brewed up a thermos of it, starting with cooler water, because I was simultaneously working with the Bi Lo Chun, and then ramping up the temp for the last few infusions to nearly boiling. As always, this is a lovely tea, but what was a little unusual and different is that somehow the flavor has a very strong sweet/caramel/woody note that was so strongly reminiscent of the 2008 Yi Wu bamboo aged puerh I’ve been drinking that I could have sworn it was the same tea. And since I love that Yi Wu, this was a pleasant surprise. Now drinking some more of it--refreshed the leaves with hot water and going for more. Love these long-lasting young shengs.