Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Help with crispy or crunchy vegetarian side dish

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NadyaDuke

NadyaDuke
  • participating member
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'm cooking dinner for some vegetarian friends this weekend. I plan to make The Very Full Tart from Plenty (roasted veg and cheese), and garlic roasted mushrooms. The dinner will be accompanied by 2003 Oregon Pinot Noir from various wineries, to have the fun of a horizontal tasting.

My husband suggested I need something crispy or crunchy to round out the meal. Since Pinot Noir is a focus, vinegar or very spicy foods are out. Any suggestions, wise eGulleters?

Edited by NadyaDuke, 05 February 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#2 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

I cannot keep deep-fried root chips -- taro, potato, carrot, yam, parsnip -- in the house for more than a few minutes after they're done if they've been tossed with a freshly made ras al hanout spice mixture.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#3 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,751 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

toasted kale!

#4 tsp.

tsp.
  • participating member
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Is ras al hanout strictly vegetarian if it includes cantharides? OK, I joke.

Do you know what is really good from Plenty, that bean, tarragon and nigella seed salad. It will provide the crunch you're after and tarragon is a nice match to pinot noir.

#5 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

What about a chunky salad of crunchy vegetables with a dressing based on flavoring some veganaise? (so it's lower in acid than a vinaigrette)

#6 Mjx

Mjx
  • manager
  • 6,309 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

Something based around water chestuts, especially if you can get your hands on some fresh ones.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#7 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

How about some crisp salad greens with lightly toasted walnuts or pecans with salt, tossed with some very good olive oil, no vinegar. Sprinkle at the last minute with pomegranate seeds for a bit of zing and color.

#8 Snadra

Snadra
  • legacy participant
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

I like to make a green cabbage, apple and walnut slaw for a crunchy side salad dressed with lemon juice and walnut oil. Hazelnuts and their oil work well too.

#9 ElainaA

ElainaA
  • participating member
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

My favorite crunchy salad: julienned celery, carrot and crisp apple with radicchio and Belgian endive. Dressed with lemon juice and evo. Crunchy, tasty and very pretty.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

#10 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Asparagus wontons.....
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#11 NadyaDuke

NadyaDuke
  • participating member
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas! The asparagus wontons have me drooling, but I think I have enough on my hands, since I'm a wonton rookie. I'm leaning towards some time of salad or slaw, probably based on what looks good at the market tomorrow. And I love the idea of just using olive oilntobdress it because it gives me an excuse to buy some higher grade olive oil than my usual all purpose! But I'll have some lemons in reserve in case they're called for.

#12 radtek

radtek
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

How about tempura vegetables? Sweet potato etc...