Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

How to use invert sugar?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

After much fretting over absurd online prices, I gave in and made my own invert sugar. The "Chef Eddy" recipe below works very nicely, and remains liquid for at least a few weeks.

http://www.chefeddy....1/invert-sugar/

I do, however, have a few questions:

1. Is it true that alcohol functions similar to invertase in its' capability to invert sugars? I've seen alcohol used in cordial cherry confections to invert the sugar, but was wondering if this was an unrelated effect. If so, a splash of everclear may be useful to prevent crystallization and sustain the usability of the product.

2. How much invert can or should I use in baking? And where might I use it? I made it for ganache centers and ice cream, but as long as I'm keeping it in the fridge, I'd like to try improving my pastry.

3. How much invert is recommended for ice creams and sorbet? A complete replacement keeps the result from sometimes freezing at all.

PS:

Go make some invert sugar. It's handy!

#2 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

I stopped using invert for my ganaches about a year ago. I use a "natural, pure" form of invert--Honey.

The stuff will start to get weepy/watery and separate after about 6-9 mths, depending on how old it was when you got it.

For sorbets, I used to sub 10% of the sugar for invert, and one of the caveats about using invert was not to heat it above 80 Celcius--if memory serves me, I think I got that from one of Wybauw's books