Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Understanding Rum

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#241 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 839 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:38 PM

I picked up a bottle of the Hamilton 151 after following a couple threads on TikiRoom discussing replacements for LH 151. (A limited supply of Hamilton's available now at Spec's downtown Houston, for those in the area. I understand that Hamilton distribution is tiny. There is no more LH in Texas as far as I know.) I don't recall anything about this in what I've read online, so I'm a bit skeptical, but the guy who ordered it for me said the distributor told him that Hamilton bought the old LH production facility and is using the same recipe as LH 151 for Hamilton 151... taking that with a big grain of salt.

Hassouni, I'd agree with your conclusion--Hamilton 151 is a good sub for LH 151. Side-by-side, they taste pretty similar, if perhaps a little weaker and less concentrated in flavor than the LH.

People on TikiRoom are saying there's a yellow label LH 151 floating around... not really sure what this means for the product's future.

Do you mean the yellow label LH 151 that proceeded the more recent red label version of LH 151 that seems to be discontinued as well at the moment? Don't have a picture handy but shown here on this website if you scroll down a bit. Might be a few of them still floating around. Worth buying the old yellow label version to me if I see it and the price is reasonable.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#242 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:16 PM

Yes, yellow label is what I mean by the original

#243 Fernet-Bronco

Fernet-Bronco
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:35 AM

Oh, I see. Apologies for confusing things. I've never had the yellow label that I know of. I tasted the Hamilton 151 against the red label. Never having had the original, I like the red label a lot, but if it's a different recipe perhaps that's what accounted for the difference in taste against the Hamilton 151.

tanstaafl2, the yellow label is what someone at TikiRoom spotted in the wild recently: http://www.tikiroom....=10&start=30

#244 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 839 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:31 PM

Yes, every now and again you might still see it on a shelf. It wasn't that long ago that it switched to the red label version. 3 years maybe?

There is also a lower proof version out there that you have to watch out for because as I recall the labels were pretty similar. Always check the proof/ABV!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#245 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

Getting back to Lost Spirits navy style:  I put my (more or less) monthly rum order in tonight.  I did not purchase Lost Spirits only because I still have a good supply in house.  I do not make a practice of quaffing Lost Spirits by itself, save for one or two tastings against Pusser's, who for some unfathomable reason offer only 80 proof on these shores.  (I still maintain that, for me, Lost Spirits navy strength tastes similar to Pusser's -- whatever street cred that may cost me.)

Now that zombies are difficult or impossible I consume Lost Spirits only in my mai tais -- as at the moment -- along with equal parts of Smith & Cross and Neisson Reserve Speciale.  I have not found better.

#246 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:49 PM

Yes, every now and again you might still see it on a shelf. It wasn't that long ago that it switched to the red label version. 3 years maybe?

There is also a lower proof version out there that you have to watch out for because as I recall the labels were pretty similar. Always check the proof/ABV!

Here are the various labels for reference (photo by aphonic/Eric Witz). I stocked up on the yellow label before it switched to the red. I still have a couple of bottles left.

#247 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:57 PM

And to be more complete... here is the video that Ed Hamilton and Martin Cate did when the new Lemon Hart 151 was released.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 12 June 2015 - 02:57 PM.

#248 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:08 PM

Wish they didn't diluted to half. 100-125 would have been a better start to asses the change in flavors

#249 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:30 PM

Here are the various labels for reference (photo by aphonic/Eric Witz). I stocked up on the yellow label before it switched to the red. I still have a couple of bottles left.

Great pic of the older bottles! I also have a couple of the older yellow label that existed before it changed to red but have never had a chance to try those two older yellow label bottles on the left.

~tanstaafl2

#250 mhdousa

mhdousa
  • participating member
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

Just finished off my bottle of El Dorado 3, which was mostly used for making daiquiris. Also have Barbancourt 8 and Smith & Cross at home.

What do you all recommend I pick up next as another great daiquiri rum?

#251 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:07 PM

A white rhum agricole would be my pick, but I know it's not traditional.

Flor de Caña extra dry is a safe bet. I also really like Plantation 3 Stars. Havana Club añejo 3 años if you can get it. Banks 5 is an interesting twist.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 31 July 2015 - 12:07 PM.

• ChrisTaylor and tanstaafl2 like this

#252 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:25 PM

+1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#253 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:54 AM

Just finished off my bottle of El Dorado 3, which was mostly used for making daiquiris. Also have Barbancourt 8 and Smith & Cross at home.

What do you all recommend I pick up next as another great daiquiri rum?

Rhu JM Blanc 100. It's hard to choose anything else afterwards--at least in the 40-45% APV range.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#254 Moto

Moto
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:23 AM

Once you go Agricole Blanc you never go back!  The 50% abv for these is the important part.  You get the funk and grassiness to come through and it just makes the daiquiri an amazing drink.  My preference is for La Favorite so far.

Plantation 3 Star works good as well.

Edited by Moto, 01 August 2015 - 10:27 AM.

• ChrisTaylor likes this

#255 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 839 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:10 PM

Flor de Caña extra dry is a safe bet. I also really like Plantation 3 Stars. Havana Club añejo 3 años if you can get it. Banks 5 is an interesting twist.

While I too think a nice 100 proof agricole blanc is always a good choice I would second the Flor de Cana Extra Dry as a good place to start for a readily available good quality and yet relatively inexpensive choice.

~tanstaafl2

#256 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:12 AM

A new rum on the Australian market, No41. It's named after a Brisbane rum bar, Substation No41. They commissioned this rum, apparently. It's inexpensive and low apv--37%--for what I imagine are tax reasons. Despite the price tag they're billing it as a premium rum: a sipper and a mixer. I wish there was a boozier version.

On the nose there's rubber. Freshly burned tyre tread. Molasses. On the palate there's a boatload of molasses. Vanilla. I can't stomach a side-by-side with Sea Wynde but I'm reminded of it ... but not in a bad way. Almost like this is a somewhat sweeter, more approachable, less completely bonkers version of Wynde. It's very drinkable even though it's not especially complex or even especially delicious. For a cheap rum it's workable. Shame about the APV--I reckon the base flavour profile would be pretty banging in something like a Mai Tai or Zombie.

IMG_0381_zpsbpphcwpf.jpg

• haresfur likes this

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between