Online privacy is a constantly evolving landscape, and the Society takes all reasonable efforts to maintain up to date and effective online privacy standards and practices.
- We have linked every page of eGullet.org to this policy for your convenience, and you may also contact us at privacy@eGullet.org with any questions or concerns you may have.
- “Personal information” means any information that may be used to identify an individual, including, but not limited to, a first and last name, a home or other physical address and an email address or other contact information, whether at work or at home.
- The Society strives to comply with all applicable laws around the globe that are designed to protect your privacy, however this policy is limited to the online information practices of the Society with respect to US citizens residing in the US, and neither covers all corporate information practices of the Society nor the privacy policies and practices of other websites or entities.
- Registration. In order to join the Society and take advantage of the many member offerings at eGullet.org, you must first complete a membership registration form and create a member profile name and password. During registration you are required to provide certain personal information, including your name and email address.
- Communications with the Society. Whenever you contact the Society or Society personnel, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Confidential personal information. In addition to the personal information provided during the registration process, you may provide further personal information when using eGullet.org for activities including, but not limited to, upgrading your membership category, updating your member profile or reactivating an expired membership.
- Non-confidential personally identifiable information. Personally identifiable information you disclose to the general public or the Society membership at large via eGullet.org can be read, collected or used by any members, individuals or entities able to view such personally identifiable information. This includes, but is not limited to, personally identifiable information contained in eG Forums posts, a signature or a personal message sent to another member. The Society is not responsible for any non-confidential personally identifiable information disclosed via eGullet.org, but does reserve the right to investigate reported abuses of non-confidential personally identifiable information and to take action against any member, individual or entity using eGullet.org in a manner inconsistent with our statement of purpose or member agreement.
- Log Files. The Society gathers certain information automatically and stores it in log files. This information includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp and clickstream data. We use log file information, which does not identify individual users, to analyze trends, to administer eGullet.org, to track users’ movements around eGullet.org and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We also link some of this automatically collected data to personal information. Specifically, we record your IP address when you register for membership and also record your IP address every time you make an eG Forums post.
- Types of cookies. We use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies. We use session ID cookies to make it easier for you to navigate eGullet.org. A session ID cookie expires when you close you browser. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for an extended period of time. You can remove persistent cookies by following directions provided in your Internet browser’s “help” file. If you choose the "Remember me?” option for logging in, eGullet.org sets a persistent cookie to store your log in information until you lot out. Persistent cookies also enable us to track and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on eGullet.org.
- Rejecting cookies. If you reject cookies, you may still use eGullet.org, but your ability to use any member features will be limited.
- Personal information. Because the Society is a member-based organization, we record personal information in order to maintain an accurate record of our membership. We do not share personal information with third parties, except with your express permission.
- Group emails. The Society, from time to time, uses registration information to send informational emails to the Society’s membership about eGullet.org and the various activities of the Society, as well as other items that may be of interest. Because the Society is a membership organization, members must be able to receive these emails. We do not provide an opt-out mechanism other than resigning your membership.
- Aggregate information. We share aggregated demographic information about our user base with our sponsors and in our fundraising and development literature. This information does not identify individual users. We also analyze information that does not contain personal information for trends and statistics. We do not link aggregate member data with personal information.
- Society staff. The Society has several staff that assist with maintenance and monitoring of the website. This is a select group of staff bound by a confidentiality agreement. These volunteers may come into contact with personal information as well as communications sent to other members through eGullet.org. These staff have access to this information to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
- Legal disclaimer. We reserve the right to disclose your personal information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on the Society.
- Personal Information. Your eGullet.org personal information is password-protected. Only you and certain Society staff may view and edit your personal information. We recommend that you do not divulge your password to anyone. The Society will never ask for your eGullet.org password in an unsolicited telephone call or email. If you share a computer or use a public computer, remember to log out of your eGullet.org account and close your browser window when you have finished your visit.
- Data security. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. No method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
- Financial information. Financial information is not collected directly through eGullet.org. When donations are made to the Society through eGullet.org, payments are collected via Paypal.com. The only personal information the Society receives through the donation process is a Paypal account number, email address, mailing address, name and donation amount.
- eGullet.org is a general audience website. We support and comply with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act and other laws. We do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13, nor do we share such information with third parties. Children under the age of 13 are not permitted to register and create a profile at eGullet.org.
- The eGullet.org website is owned and operated by Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, 1845 Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd. Apt. 4A, New York, New York 10026. For further information about eGullet.org and the Society, please visit www.eGullet.org.