• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

PXL_20240504_231558479.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.df85b3f66f3a73c84c55d5066ef80575.jpg

Manado, Indonesia style chicken rica rica. This is traditionally super spicy but I used mostly big red chillies to make it edible.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Posted (edited)

We both got another round of Covid vaccinations the other day; and we both had more side effects than usual.  Just a general malaise, headache, body aches, etc.

So...

58490325-B73E-4F2F-B663-9CFFF69FAB78.thumb.jpeg.6aa75656ba0b810c6995b034786496a1.jpeg

Chicken noodle soup, from scratch.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 14

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Trying to work my way through the freezer and pantry--especially the "emergency" stuff. And improve my eating habits as a household of one.

I defrosted a couple of chicken thighs and pulled out some old pantry items. Had some grape tomatoes on their last legs. I did not intend to put quite so much of the seasoning blend on this but my hands got out of control when I was sprinkling it over. It worked out fine because this turned out to be very tasty. I had never used canned potatoes before and wasn't sure how they would be. I remember buying them thinking they'd be good to keep on hand for emergencies--add a can of veggies and some stock and instant soup. But had not used them and they were expired so needed to get off the shelf and used or into the trash. I wouldn't want them on a regular basis, but roasted as I did this, I couldn't really tell they were canned.

I thought I had a photo of it after being cooked, but apparently not.

image.thumb.png.5157421b6252989eca758dd8082879d8.pngimage.thumb.png.2d1fe133aca6cb3e46423a8b6844651c.png 

image.thumb.png.4447041b8111c555510abf15e1e3ba64.png

image.thumb.png.0fc859ca00aca945eb8cb1ed511fe3e4.png 

image.thumb.png.adf07e1498e6f0b3788800c3d84e1354.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

On 5/3/2024 at 1:41 PM, Dejah said:

I had picked up a bundle of Ong Choy / Water Spinach. It was SO fresh and I loved it when we had it on our trips to Asia. But I have never been able to cook it properly. It always seems to come out stringy. Would appreciate any suggestions on technique! @liuzhou @liamsaunt and anyone who cooks this lovely vegetable.

I don't think I have ever cooked water spinach.  Sometimes my CSA box gives me greens (pea shoots come to mind) that get stringy when you cook them up, and I do find it frustrating.  After having to struggle through eating big clumps of them in various soup bowls and stir fries I now usually end up mincing them really fine or blitzing them into a pesto or something.  If anyone has better ideas for this type of green I would also be very interested!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I don't think I have ever cooked water spinach.  Sometimes my CSA box gives me greens (pea shoots come to mind) that get stringy when you cook them up, and I do find it frustrating.  After having to struggle through eating big clumps of them in various soup bowls and stir fries I now usually end up mincing them really fine or blitzing them into a pesto or something.  If anyone has better ideas for this type of green I would also be very interested!

@Dejah For me, it depends on how old the water spinach is (when it was harvested).  When I grew my own, I could pick it relatively young and just stir fry it with garlic and a splash of stock.  I'd still separate the tougher stalks from the leafy parts and cook the stalks first then toss in the stems and the stock.  If it's older and more woody, you can separate the stalks from the leaves, then blanch in some water with salt and a bit of baking soda which will help them keep their green color.  Remove to a cold water bath to stop cooking then drain.  Then stir fry.  The blanching time depends on how tough the stems are.  Hope this helps.  You can also check out this video

but I'm not a fan of splitting the stems like he does as you don't see it that way in SE Asia.  They're usually just cut into 3-4" lengths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

love the counter-top drainage system they have.

The water on top of the table is actually necessary - the heat from the wok is so hot that it would warp and damage the stainless steel table, not to mention burn anyone near it.  So a small stream of water constantly flows into the "bucket" and overflows onto the table to keep the table cool.

• Like 4

Tasmanian curried scallop pie. Apparently a speciality of the state. Could have used more scallops but they were insanely expensive at the grocery store. Could still taste them though. Made with Keen's curry powder, of course (originated in Tasmania).

image.thumb.jpeg.20f603b013c892c27c13e33625c05e69.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8ff2b2f8a5db2118ba3e24c40d36aabe.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Posted (edited)

Shrimp and squid fried noodles. I also threw in some pumpkin flowers I had leftover unused in the fridge. Chaoshan fish sauce, chilli, Chinese chives and coriander leaf.

.thumb.jpg.b977b77f3e578ee38809138052afc2b2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Chicken curry salad in lettuce wraps with squiggles of sriracha.  

currykettuce.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Hainanese Chicken Rice.  First had it at Hainan Jones at Urban Hawker on 50-51st Street in NYC last year.  Now we make it about once a month.

IMG_20240506_193002027~2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 5

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Maison Rustique

if you have easy access to Trader Joe's

consider sub'ing TJ's lightly smoked salmon , in cans for a canned tuna Rx"

cansalmon.jpg.4d27ca67ea1f7393a8221ab0c211c515.jpg

very tasty stuff

if you like salmon.

I had that on a salad not long ago. Still have a can in the pantry if I'm not mistaken. Very tasty!

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

Back home from a caravanning trip and not interested in doing much for dinner. The wife said she felt like pie..

OK!  Beef pie in a bowl.

IMG_20240507_185254.thumb.jpg.2a4dfab71094d15462361a8579c310a7.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 5

Salmon with mint/cilantro chutney over shrimp roe noodles with some of last summer's long beans, house oyster mushrooms, blistered shishitos and the first of this season's hosta shoots pan fried with garlic, ginger, chili oil, green onion  and fish sauce.

Enjoyed with a dry NS cider from Lake City.

SalmonHostaShishitosLongBeansOysterMushroomsandShrimpRoeNoodles.thumb.JPG.4eebeabbf9606287d29ed8ce0fd11d18.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Variation on Libyan sharba - meatballs (ground beef, soaked bread, fresh mint), chickpeas (quarter of it mashed to give the soup some body), diced tomatoes with chilies, harissa, cumin, turmeric and fresh mint cooked in chicken broth

IMG_9322.thumb.jpeg.69e49bf6f7ef4ccb99269607a2da862c.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3