• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Garlicky oven-roasted chicken (ga ro-ti), marinated with garlic, black pepper, soy sauce, fish sauce, and a little sugar. Stir-fried spinach with garlic and dried chiles.

Mrs. C was on a bland diet after outpatient surgery, and this is as bland as I cook. 😉

Ga-ro-ti_202404.thumb.jpg.7b126a4716e2dffd9a3c26573444366e.jpg

• Like 18
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, TicTac said:

Love this idea.  My uncle is actually writing a book on a similar vein, but the concept of 'doubling up' or making a bit extra for future use is such a great, efficient and ecological method to practice.

Interesting comment. That's something I wouldn't think twice about doing and just added it on.

And yes it is a good practice.

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Your garlicky oven roasted chicken looks great for something "bland", @C. sapidus!

I had a surplus of arugula I wanted to use up and made the warm white bean salad with arugula pesto and preserved lemon from Melissa Clark's Dinner: Changing the Game. In addition to the arugula, the pesto has almonds, parmesan, preserved lemon, garlic, salt, olive oil. For the preserved lemon component, I used this condiment inspired by yuzu kosho - essentially the same thing, with habaneros for an extra kick.

The beans were Marcella white beans from Rancho Gordo, cooked in the instant pot (details here). The beans are mixed with the pesto while still warm. To that is added arugula dressed with lemon juice and olive oil.

I loved the peppery arugula with the preserved lemon & lemon juice, it's a good combo!

warm white bean salad with arugula pesto and preserved lemon

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 7

Oven-roasted cauliflower (with tahini, olive oil, paprika, curry and cumin) mixed with beluga lentils (with shallots, garlic, olive oil, champagne vinegar), dried tomatoes and watercress. Topped with some dressing made from pureed avocado, garlic, yoghurt and lime juice

IMG_9293.thumb.jpeg.01cedd2ebe722d93915a4a742b15b46d.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Slow braised a rack of ribs in the oven while cleaning up the vegetable garden and early planting.

The rack will be part of dinner for the next 3 or 4 days in various roles.

Yesterday was glazing a portion with crabapple habanero jelly and serving with a green salad, coleslaw, oven fries with sriracha, freezer gazpacho and a dry Bulwark cider. This was pretty good so I'll more than likely repeat it today.

HabaneroAppleGlazedRibsandSides.thumb.JPG.af721df03ae833fb1d3f707610a4a0d9.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Stir-fried chicken with okra, scallions, garlic, gnger, chilli, Shaoxing wine and soy sauce. Rice.

_20240430202135.thumb.jpg.bb44330ad7e44d6d959986b908b95ea8.jpg

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Out of all the things I make occasionally, empanadas are my least favorite.  I have not yet been able to find those ready made wrappers and I'll keep looking because making those suckers from scratch is a real bother.

IMG_1585.jpg

I think your empanadas look great! If you are near the airport, pop into Los Hornos for some empanadas. The owner is delightful and the food is great. https://www.facebook.com/loshornoskansascity/ 

• Thanks 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

Mrs. C fried chunks of halibut in cajun spices. Horseradish, mustard, Cajun spices, and fresh dill in the sauce

Halibut_202404-1.thumb.jpg.d74febf2586e8ce775f8cb806ef5ea12.jpg

I stir-fried broccolini and shiitake mushrooms with lots of garlic and ginger, plus oyster sauce, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, a smidge of sugar, and fish sauce.

Halibut_202404-2.thumb.jpg.3ad2865208b53751538ad38015b107c7.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus
Sauce (log)
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Variation on Dak Naengchae (Korean chicken salad with pine nuts dressing) - diced poached chicken breast, shredded red cabbage, green beans, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, scallions in a dressing made in the blender with pine nuts, yellow mustard, gochuhang, lemon juice and some water.

IMG_9296.thumb.jpeg.41f9ac994826ee4cf76a3c7b4a2b5193.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

On 4/22/2024 at 10:24 PM, NadyaDuke said:

@liuzhou That looks delicious! I have an ignorant American question. Do you eat all the chile peppers? It would seem like a waste not too, but also that’s a lot of chile peppers, and they’re dried. I’ve had dishes like this in restaurants and always wonder!

I had the same dish with friends today, but this time in a restaurant next door to my apartment block. Here is a poor cell phone shot of the dish being served. Enough chillies for ya⁈

.thumb.jpg.5af36164ff3b09d26ef5a0853a81afdc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou said “ . Enough chillies for ya⁈ “

Good grief, that’s a whole lot of chillies. 

I am still on a slight Indian fad atm having watched the brilliant Rick Stein’s India again for about the 6 th time. I love that telly programme… the music, the colours and of course, the food. The first time I watched it I bought the book and find it excellent reading with the recipes straight forward and easy to follow. 

The below is Murgh Makhani better known as butter chicken, the including of Fenugreek makes it special, with a poor man’s biryiani including my pomegranate seeds and juice. 

633F5531-7F85-4DF7-A4A8-3157C3ADB48B.jpeg.69d7b711e0c98dd08035e905527e42c7.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

A friend shared some wild onions he foraged. I roasted them with grape tomatoes. Added some spinach and bacon to top a baked potato. More fast food as I learn to cook healthy food for one.  I have enough left for another meal.

image.thumb.png.7741a3902d1cb6886317fccda8ac6404.png

image.thumb.png.b131f1c84c14314d720654c743efa6c6.png

• Like 12
  • Delicious 4

Deb

Liberty, MO

Posted (edited)

@liuzhou That’s a lot of chiles! I can see why finding the chicken is a sport.

Last year we had to replace our double ovens and bought a pair that has one steam convection oven one regular convection oven. I’ve been trying to figure out more ways to use the steam convection. (Yes, I’m haunting the CSO thread!).  I found a recipe for a CSO frittata where you steam the potatoes, and blanch the kale in full steam, then cook the frittata in CSO. So this was fun and I think I have a better feel for full steam mode possibilities, I’d only ever just steamed plain veggies before. Here’s the final potato frittata with linguica and kale.  I’ll definitely use this general outline again.

Used the bottom oven to cook off half a loaf of TJ’s garlic bread.

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1485.jpeg

Edited by NadyaDuke (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 3

On 4/30/2024 at 11:20 AM, Ann_T said:
Last night's dinner.

Grilled Sterling Silver New York Strip with a Vittorio salad.
Not a big fan of salads, but have always loved the salad served at Vittorio's an Italian restaurant in Toronto that we use to go to back in the late 70's.

Curious to hear more about this salad!

• Like 2

Yassa, apparently based on a Senegalese restaurant in DC. Grilled chicken with a sauce of mustard, green olives, onion, lime, chile habanero, and a bay leaf. Marinade was a paste of garlic, chile habanero, black pepper, salt, and oil. Jasmine rice to go with.

Mrs. C air-fried asparagus with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Chicken off the grill:

Yassa_202405-2.thumb.jpg.fb03b47e7a9bb68fa1f1af20cfae0f56.jpg

Plate:

Yassa_202405-1.thumb.jpg.10116e76c1355286ebbaa154658b55cb.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2