• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving (US) 2023

gulfporter

On 11/23/2023 at 5:07 AM, rotuts said:

a Happy thanksgiving to all .

from yesterday's ' Food ' NYTimes :

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/20/dining/lubys-cafeteria-thanksgiving.html?searchResultPosition=1

Ive enjoyed some very fine BBQ visiting my sister in TX in the past

but I must say , not this meal , from Luby's :

2222.thumb.jpg.348249c4bdaedb00065045d7cc2398a7.jpg

looks mighty fine to me .

Happy Thanksgiving , one more time.

from the article :

''''  Thanksgiving Day, when the chain serves 152,000 customers and 57,000 pounds of turkey. Though the cost of turkey has surged in recent years, he said he’s tried to keep prices as low as possible.  '''

Now that is a plate full of goodness.  Well except for the mac and cheese. Not a fan of it any day and it isn't   something traditionally served with a turkey dinner here.  Is it a regional side

everywhere in the US or just in the south?

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1

Thanksgiving_2023.thumb.jpg.5af431a9b188ac2991954663601ffacd.jpg

Thanksgiving leftovers for breakfast, counterclockwise from bottom right:

Maple-ginger-soy glazed coho salmon and steelhead for fish-fiend nephew, courtesy of Mrs. C

Stuffing with giblet gravy

Creamy braised Brussels sprouts

Bourbon sweet potatoes with orange sauce, made with Cointreau and about half the brown sugar specified

Green bean salad in the middle

Saag paneer with homemade paneer (fresh cheese) – very popular but I shall spare you the picture . . . :shock: 

Also not pictured:

Moist and tender turkey (nice job Mrs. C) - apparently we gave it all way, except for the big pile of bones simmering in a stockpot

Mashed potatoes, courtesy of SIL

Store-bought pumpkin cheesecake

We interspersed gluttony with two long dog walks, so I’m sure the day was calorie-neutral. :rolleyes:

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

3 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Now that is a plate full of goodness.  Well except for the mac and cheese. Not a fan of it any day and it isn't something  something traditionally served with a turkey dinner here.  Is it a regional side

I associate mac and cheese with Thanksgiving meals that include glazed ham. I think you are right - probably a southern thing.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Now that is a plate full of goodness.  Well except for the mac and cheese. Not a fan of it any day and it isn't   something traditionally served with a turkey dinner here.  Is it a regional side

M&C isn't a Thanksgiving tradition in the Northeast.  Southerners seem to like it, but they'll other questionable things too.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm from a starched Maine family.   Mid-Century Thanksgiving, without exception was stuffed turkey, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, mashed winter squash, creamed onions, cranberry sauce, rolls, pumpkin pie.   Tastes of younger generation lead to straining giblets from the gravy, eliminating creamed onions, adding peas to the menu.    Still later "downstream", eliminating squash, adding mac and cheese.   And most recently, eliminating turkey and switching to ham.   This year I even ditched the pumpkin pie and made a chocolate cream pie, this season's fave with the grandkids.    My grandparents and father would be whirling at these atrocities but the spirit of the day is maintained. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

eGullet member #80.

11 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

We're Americans living in South Africa. The last couple of years we've done a pretty traditional Thanksgiving here, which was fun. 

This year, we had decided instead to go to our favorite Chinese Hot Pot restaurant to celebrate. However, late in the game we ended up taking in three children from a bad situation (friends of our kids). They'll be staying with us while their mom gets treatment. Because of their background, hot pot was not likely to go over well, so we cobbled together a last minute meal.

We roasted some carrots, got corn and green beans, mashed potatoes and even found a jar of cranberry sauce that was quite nice.

For the meat ... We first tried to order a couple of roasted chickens from two different places, but kept striking out (not available, out of stock). By the end of the mad scramble we had one roasted chicken and one bucket from KFC (which is far better in this country than my experiences back home).

Store bought apple pie to finish it off. There was some kind of 'pumpkin pie' but it was terrible. We had fun, despite the chaos and less than ideal circumstances. It was the first Thanksgiving meal these kids have ever eaten, and their diet in general has been pretty poor up til now. Kind of reminds you why we stop to be thankful in the first place!

Wow thanks for sharing that story. To give those kids their first Thanksgiving meal and it sounds like it was joyful which is key.Not about perfection, but rather people.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Mid-Century Thanksgiving, without exception was stuffed turkey, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, mashed winter squash, creamed onions, cranberry sauce, rolls, pumpkin pie.  

I grew up with a very similar spread.  No rolls but with the addition of mashed carrots, mashed sweet potatoes, mashed turnips, mashed rutabaga and god knows what mash I may have forgotten plus a "relish tray" of olives, pickles and celery.

Yesterday's feast here in SoCal included a stuffed, 27 lb turkey, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, corn casserole, roasted Brussels sprouts & apples, green bean casserole, blackberry & caraway slaw and rolls. Dessert was pumpkin pie, pecan pie, cranberry curd tart, all with whipped cream and/or ice cream and some extremely decadent cookies. 

I resisted taking any leftovers home but would have loved some turkey tucked into one of those rolls for breakfast!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 7

I think that mac and cheese is probably a southern/soul food thing.  I miss it if it isn’t part of any holiday meal.  And I’m one of those who adores the really sweet sweet potato preparations.  Either the marshmallow ones or the pecan praline ones.  My SIL made some that were savory that I actually liked a lot – they were cubed and tossed with olive oil and rosemary and roasted.

Dinner at my MIL’s was very good.  I did the requested apps – shrimp dip, green olive tapenade, and my corn salad.  Served with tortilla chips, crackers, and toasted baguette slices:

IMG_4818.JPG.e0c3216bfdface1c08376344885be8d3.JPG

Jessica made her wonderful deviled eggs:

20231123_172916.thumb.jpg.3bb0d43c16ff97066e7c9b2b9b399b21.jpg

She also brought a jar of her lovely pickled vegetables that everyone loved.  

The menu included turkey, dressing, stuffing, gravy, roasted sweet potatoes w/ rosemary, southern green beans, mashed potatoes, yeast rolls, cranberry sauce, corn, corn pudding, pecan pie, and pumpkin pie.  My plate:

IMG_4819.jpg.ead112f8f9c1377f0312677a9957ff5f.jpg

20231123_170143.jpg.1c356914dea84c566842697b5df7fc9d.jpg

20231123_174450.thumb.jpg.19924e2990efb79c8815e79870de89a0.jpg

IMG_5963.jpg.2509a63eb5aaa4aeff0bca0849e929af.jpg

The pies:

20231123_170432.jpg.8a70af5e08c6e5ef5d5857b2ede28acb.jpg

Possibly the best pecan pie I’ve ever tasted.

20231123_170434.jpg.d7d2c68b4d685770230118ea21e8ff9d.jpg

Everything was truly delicious, though a few things were a bit too salty.  She brined her turkey and didn’t rinse it.  My SIL and I think that she confused the instructions regarding not washing poultry before cooking (lest you spread bacteria) with rinsing AFTER brining.  The stuffing and the gravy were especially briny.  But it all tasted good. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 5

@Kim Shook, that looks like a wonderful spread. Considering the angst built up before your dinner, it's especially delightful to see how well it went!

What made this particular pecan pie so wonderful? Do you think it was luck, or an especially good recipe?

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

54 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

wonderful looking Thanksgiving spread.

what is the difference between dressing and stuffing ?

Pecan pie is one of my very favorites.

that pie looks perfect .  nicely toasted pecans.

Thanks for asking!  I think this is the first time I’ve seen anyone mention having both. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, C. sapidus said:

I associate mac and cheese with Thanksgiving meals that include glazed ham. I think you are right - probably a southern thing.

Southern for sure but also for many African Americans; I knew Black families in Philly that always made it or brought it to TDay dinner and at Xmas, too.  Of course many Black families have roots in the South.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook 

wonderful looking Thanksgiving spread.

what is the difference between dressing and stuffing ?

Stuffing is STUFFED in the bird and dressing is cooked on the side in a casserole dish.

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

@Kim Shook, that looks like a wonderful spread. Considering the angst built up before your dinner, it's especially delightful to see how well it went!

What made this particular pecan pie so wonderful? Do you think it was luck, or an especially good recipe?

I have NO idea why the filling was so good - but it was sweet and rich, without being cloying.  And, as @rotuts says, the nuts were perfectly toasted.  One thing that was different from usual is that the crust was extremely thin and VERY crisp.  She is the past master at pastry, so her pie crusts are always excellent, but this was unusual.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Stuffing is STUFFED in the bird and dressing is cooked on the side in a casserole dish.

Wisconsin in-laws use the same terminology for stuffing vs. dressing. 

We called it stuffing whether stuffed or not. Shrug

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I think that mac and cheese is probably a southern/soul food thing.  I miss it if it isn’t part of any holiday meal.  And I’m one of those who adores the really sweet sweet potato preparations.  Either the marshmallow ones or the pecan praline ones.  My SIL made some that were savory that I actually liked a lot – they were cubed and tossed with olive oil and rosemary and roasted.

Dinner at my MIL’s was very good.  I did the requested apps – shrimp dip, green olive tapenade, and my corn salad.  Served with tortilla chips, crackers, and toasted baguette slices:

IMG_4818.JPG.e0c3216bfdface1c08376344885be8d3.JPG

Jessica made her wonderful deviled eggs:

20231123_172916.thumb.jpg.3bb0d43c16ff97066e7c9b2b9b399b21.jpg

She also brought a jar of her lovely pickled vegetables that everyone loved.  

The menu included turkey, dressing, stuffing, gravy, roasted sweet potatoes w/ rosemary, southern green beans, mashed potatoes, yeast rolls, cranberry sauce, corn, corn pudding, pecan pie, and pumpkin pie.  My plate:

IMG_4819.jpg.ead112f8f9c1377f0312677a9957ff5f.jpg

20231123_170143.jpg.1c356914dea84c566842697b5df7fc9d.jpg

20231123_174450.thumb.jpg.19924e2990efb79c8815e79870de89a0.jpg

IMG_5963.jpg.2509a63eb5aaa4aeff0bca0849e929af.jpg

The pies:

20231123_170432.jpg.8a70af5e08c6e5ef5d5857b2ede28acb.jpg

Possibly the best pecan pie I’ve ever tasted.

20231123_170434.jpg.d7d2c68b4d685770230118ea21e8ff9d.jpg

Everything was truly delicious, though a few things were a bit too salty.  She brined her turkey and didn’t rinse it.  My SIL and I think that she confused the instructions regarding not washing poultry before cooking (lest you spread bacteria) with rinsing AFTER brining.  The stuffing and the gravy were especially briny.  But it all tasted good. 

What a wonderful spread. And you are very gracious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Another big family thanksgiving.   Happy to be hanging with my family on this recent TG . Always a good time

IMG_1468.jpeg

Too cool! How many generations are there, and where do you fall?

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

1 hour ago, pastameshugana said:

4 generation

1 hour ago, pastameshugana said:

This is my Moms side of the family.  I have 2 aunts still living, they are both pictured in the middle so I’m 2nd generation , 26 first cousins, although one passed away last year in a plane crash just prior to Thanksgiving 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Thanks 1