• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter 2023

heidih

1 minute ago, lemniscate said:

A tradition for us.    Goes by many names.   Winner either gets to be the "boss" for the year, or also gets good health for the year, hopefully both.

Thanks!  Wikipedia took me in another direction entirely.  Egg War.  Fascinating but I couldn't figure out how any recreation of the event would relate to Easter or lead to egg salad 🤣

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks!  Wikipedia took me in another direction entirely.  Egg War.  Fascinating but I couldn't figure out how any recreation of the event would relate to Easter or lead to egg salad 🤣

Sweet Lord!  I'd never heard of that either.  That was a horrible practice in the history of wildlife harvesting.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

A tradition for us.    Goes by many names.   Winner either gets to be the "boss" for the year, or also gets good health for the year, hopefully both.

Cool.  I think they did this in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding :) 

23 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Thanks for the link. My dad is Croatian born near Zagreb but I've not heard of the tradition. He is 100 and does not do well on phone so I'll ask him when next I see him.

Our Easter dinner is going to  be Passover redux; mostly all leftover's from yesterday's seder: Sephardic charoset, fresh grated horseradish (extremely potent this year for unknown reasons), matzoh ball soup, lamb, roast potatoes. And a simple green salad that my husband wants to make. I don't have to lift a finger. Woke up this morning to lots of pix of my granddaughter twins on an egg hunt. One was super into it and commandeered her sister's basketful. They are going to be two years old! 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

I think @Shelby shared my appreciation for this brand of chocolates … and I am always a sucker for seasonal/special editions: the Easter 2023 version is „lemon meringue & whole milk“ and it is soooo tasty …

1417AC50-780D-49E9-A3A0-CE7CF42122A1.thumb.jpeg.3e5048c492870383944a66392d0543fe.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

On 4/6/2023 at 5:41 PM, Kim Shook said:

Last night was the Seder meal/pot luck at church.  We were asked not to bring anything with pork, shellfish, or leavening.  That must have thrown all those southerners because every single dish (other than the purchased fried chicken that 3 of us brought) needed serious seasoning.  😂  The cholent that the organizer made was excellent, though.

Fried chicken at a seder? Oy!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Fried chicken at a seder? Oy!!

You don't know what you don't know. Maybe they should consider a simple handout with suggested items or an emai, with links to Seder friendy dishes and examples of typical Seder meals - keeping it simple.  You say no pork and some jump to chicken as the auto... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

I think @Shelby shared my appreciation for this brand of chocolates … and I am always a sucker for seasonal/special editions: the Easter 2023 version is „lemon meringue & whole milk“ and it is soooo tasty …

1417AC50-780D-49E9-A3A0-CE7CF42122A1.thumb.jpeg.3e5048c492870383944a66392d0543fe.jpeg

I do!  I haven't seen that flavor though.  I have a caramel sea salt one in the cabinet as we speak :) 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, heidih said:

You don't know what you don't know. Maybe they should consider a simple handout with suggested items or an emai, with links to Seder friendy dishes and examples of typical Seder meals - keeping it simple.  You say no pork and some jump to chicken as the auto... 

Oh- I wasn't trying to make any comments like that.  I actually think it's a great thing that her church does - I have a ton of respect for it and the members who participated in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So epic fail. My son kindly said "but the potatoes, carrots and slaw were good". I opened the meat pack and yes very pink nice meat for about an inch or so, then poorly cut massive bone and inches of fat. Not integrated so meat was sorta dry, rest trash. I'll cut off the decent meat on leftovers and reheat with salsa verde to tuck into tacos wth the slaw tomorrow. Live and learn. Should have examined yesterday amd pivoted to shrimp curry.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

Was not expecting any sort of Easter dinner but @Kerry Bealhad other ideas and cooked up some lamb and some mashed potatoes and gravy and drove it out to me this afternoon. No photograph because I did a terrible job of plating it. It hit the spot.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

43 minutes ago, heidih said:

So epic fail. My son kindly said "but the potatoes, carrots and slaw were good". I opened the meat pack and yes very pink nice meat for about an inch or so, then poorly cut massive bone and inches of fat. Not integrated so meat was sorta dry, rest trash. I'll cut off the decent meat on leftovers and reheat with salsa verde to tuck into tacos wth the slaw tomorrow. Live and learn. Should have examined yesterday amd pivoted to shrimp curry.  

Well, you had excellent sides and you can make the meat into something better tomorrow.  It's all good. The important thing is hanging out with your kid :) 

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Was not expecting any sort of Easter dinner but @Kerry Bealhad other ideas and cooked up some lamb and some mashed potatoes and gravy and drove it out to me this afternoon. No photograph because I did a terrible job of plating it. It hit the spot.

How great!!!!!  Now if she'd only deliver down here lol.

• Like 9

IMG_5516.thumb.jpeg.34a498ec9ee69899595874bf63a9395a.jpeg

Here's the leg of lamb Anna mentioned above - studded with garlic, rosemary and some lemon slices. I really don't care for the flavour of rosemary. But it sure smelled good cooking. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 4

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Here's the leg of lamb Anna mentioned above - studded with garlic, rosemary and some lemon slices. I really don't care for the flavour of rosemary. But it sure smelled good cooking. 

I'm glad I'm not the only non-rosemary fan, but it does always smell good.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

13 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm glad I'm not the only non-rosemary fan, but it does always smell good.

Okay, this is a good time to bring up our dear departed Fat Guy's story about rosemary: click.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

23 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Okay, this is a good time to bring up our dear departed Fat Guy's story about rosemary: click.

Thanks for that memory. I had my son go out and cut some rosemary for me today before you posted  - hard for me to reach. Just to put in  a little vase. I told him that rosemary was pinned to men's lapels as they walked into a funeral mass to signify rememberance. Back at the immigrant German church. And then we talked abut Eric the man we lost to a fatal crash in October. So you bringing up Steven's funny story - well - special.  For culinary purposes I use it sparingly - sprigs maybe with roasted potatoes or tomatoe. 

• Like 5

Rosemary and garlic is my default pairing with lamb (I dislike mint with lamb, so I'm an outlier), but you can absolutely use too much. There's a story that in the days of primitive microphones, Louis Armstrong stood several feet further back from the rest of his band because he played so loudly that he'd drown them out otherwise. That's how I approach rosemary...it needs to stand WAY back of everything else in order for the flavors to balance nicely.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Coming to this late and with no photos. We had Easter dinner on Saturday evening, to accommodate the kiddos’ plan to great with the in-laws Sunday. Smoked turkey breast, corn casserole, mashed potatoes, asparagus, deviled eggs, fruit salad. We were all miserable afterward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com