• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter 2023

heidih

Only my son as no other family in town but juggling fulltime job plus internship so he may take a shift to let someone with big family have day off. Meat section was a wasteland today. I picked up mome super meaty country style pork ribs at half off and shrimp which are excellent. Got broccholi which will be soup on  Green Thirsday and brussels sprouts to be roasted and dressed with a sweet/soiur dressing and served room temp. If I do the ribs I'll roast sweet potato, carrots, and potato. If shrimp I'll do a coconut curry with rice. I wanted asparaagus but all they had was limpid pencil thin stuff. The Easter candy aise was boring, no Kinder eggs so got yhe goofy rabbit that walks and poops jelly beans as a jokey gift

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

• Like 8

Yikes.  Easter snuck up on me this year.

I have a ham in the freezer.  I also have some lamb chops.  I'm betting Ronnie will opt for lamb....  So, I'm thinking I will SV that.  Deviled eggs (if I have enough in the fridge outside otherwise it will be deviled potatoes lol).  I don't know what else yet.  Too early for my asparagus to be up unfortunately.  I doubt I'll make it into the store this week so what ever is here will have to do.

• Like 3

Gonna throw a big heritage turkey breast on the smoker as a change from ham. Corn casserole. Green peas. Asparagus. Deviled eggs. Maybe a fruit salad. The newspaper t’other day posted a recipe from a former beloved bakery for its lemon butter pie. I’m thinking that sounds like a good dessert. Homemade yeast rolls, because they are so good for turkey sandwiches.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Can you elaborate a bit on corn casserole. and are peas just  boiled and buttered? I grew up on peas (green bean also) in a white sauce with fresh dill. Kids did not have to be strong armed into eating vegetables. 

We are having dinner with neighbors. Fairly international crowd so I expect mostly Russian food with a sprinkling of Caribbean and Indian sides.

Probably have our "Easter" get-together with my brother and his family in a couple of weeks. The only certainty is Mrs. C making salmon with a maple-soy glaze, because that is one of the few things younger nephew eats.

• Like 6

I'll have my parents over as well as my sister and BIL. Right now, the plan is as follows:

Everyday big breakfast ☺️

Then for dinner:

Friday: Matjes, grey shrimp and some vinegared fish, with new potatoes, dips, beetroot/pear salad, freshly made rye bread ...

Saturday: Leberkäse or sausages (BBQ), potato salad, other salads - I hope the weather supports ...

Sunday: Roasted lamb shoulder, grilled mediterranean veggies, chickpeas, cous cous salad with dried apricots, olives, mixed dips, freshly made flatbread ...

Monday: First asparagus of the season, new potatoes, variety of hams and cold cuts, Hollandaise ...

Rest of the week: leftovers !

• Like 7

We are going to a relative's home.   I expect ham/traditional sides as usual.   I am bringing strawberry and lemon mini tarts.   I also am the designated egg dyer, used for the "egg war" after the meal.  And my own choice of beer, it's usually byob type situation.

• Like 1

Saturday brunch was the day and time that worked for both daughters and their SOs. We will have ham which both daughters and my husband love. I look more forward to making soup from the bone. We have to have the hasbrown casserole (aka funeral potatoes -- lovely name.) I rue the day that I first made it as a young cook because now it is insisted upon and there are so many more interesting potato dishes. Ah well. Will have a veggie/cheese/egg casserole for the low carbers, Green Green spring vegetables (Ina Garten) and the cream cheese danish I posted about earlier. Pavlova for dessert. Avacado Shrimp Salsa with chips and cucumber slices to nibble on beforehand. Mimosa bar and craft beer.

• Like 3

Tonight our church is having a Passover Seder to help everyone understand the practice and celebration of our Jewish faith ancestors.  I'm sure this will be an abbreviated Passover meal, with small examples of each item on our plates.  This is what I've seen at other Episcopalian churches.  We are also having a pot luck afterwards.  We were reminded to not bring pork, shellfish, or leavened bread to the potluck, but we'll see how well folks understand that.  Without thinking or checking, I ordered a pile of fried chicken from Publix and that's not really kosher for Passover, I've discovered.  Better than the man I did Meals on Wheels with yesterday - he completely missed the note and was planning to bring ham biscuits 😄!   I missed an opportunity, I realize.  I should have gone to my favorite Mediterranean shop and gotten an assortment of dips and his fantastic lavash.  

We are hosting Easter this year.  Jessica was very particular that we should and promises to be very helpful.  So far I'm not seeing much help beyond coming up with too many items for six people 🙄.  We are starting with spiced crackers (a mix that I found on our anniversary trip - you douse the crackers in oil and then the spice mix) and a relish tray.  Dinner will be slow-cooker Co-cola ham with @Tropicalsenior's incredible mustard sauce, a cheesy potato Dauphinoise, green beans, Watergate salad, @Shelby's cucumbers, broccoli salad, Jessica's pineapple casserole, Mac & Cheese, deviled eggs, sweet potato rolls, and blueberry lemon cake.  I have a few of @Jim D.'s beautiful chocolates left and I might share them, too.  If anyone has room.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

53 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Dinner will be slow-cooker Co-cola ham with @Tropicalsenior's incredible mustard sauce, a cheesy potato Dauphinoise, green beans, Watergate salad, @Shelby's cucumbers, broccoli salad, Jessica's pineapple casserole, Mac & Cheese, deviled eggs, sweet potato rolls, and blueberry lemon cake.  I have a few of @Jim D.'s beautiful chocolates left and I might share them, too.  If anyone has room.

Wow … and that’s for six ?! Very impressive 🤗

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Yes.  My daughter is very ambitious...on my behalf.  😉

I do understand Jessica's enthusiasm. I used to tend to go overboard on offerings but after so many years, I know what will be consumed and we will be eting for an eternity after the fact. There are no little kids yet to indulge in a myriad of sweets and most of us are fairly diet concious now so that has heped me immensely in paring down the menu.

• Like 4

Last night was the Seder meal/pot luck at church.  We were asked not to bring anything with pork, shellfish, or leavening.  That must have thrown all those southerners because every single dish (other than the purchased fried chicken that 3 of us brought) needed serious seasoning.  😂  The cholent that the organizer made was excellent, though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 4/4/2023 at 9:19 PM, heidih said:

Can you elaborate a bit on corn casserole. and are peas just  boiled and buttered? I grew up on peas (green bean also) in a white sauce with fresh dill. Kids did not have to be strong armed into eating vegetables. 

Oh, the corn casserole is a Southern favorite. A can of cream style corn, a can of whole kernel corn, a box of Jiffy cornbread mix, two eggs, a cup of sour cream, and half a stick of melted butter. Stir it all together, dump in a 9 x 13 casserole dish, and bake uncovered about an hour at 350.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

12 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

That must have thrown all those southerners because every single dish (other than the purchased fried chicken that 3 of us brought) needed serious seasoning.  😂

Sounds about right for a seder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Well, I finally “cooked” in my apartment kitchen.  

4lbs of baby bella mushrooms, cleaned, chopped, dry fried hot until most water is cooked down then hit with a knob of butter and large splashes of Marsala wine. Of course I don’t have a pan large enough to cook more than 1lb at a time properly, so it took me about 3 hours. 

I could have made a from scratch sauce and lasagna in less time! Moving forward I’m going to consider what I can purchase that is already cooked or some type of charcuterie to contribute. 

• Like 5

Are those pretty eggs destined for deviled eggs or?  Always fun when the dye bleeds through a bit so you get coorful mottled whites when peeled. We came to prefer the food coloring that comes in little teardrop shaped plastic bottles. Vivid colors = smiles by kids. 

Son on his way over and I have done ERO prep. I did find the roasting pan in garage (a miracle) Totally winging it with the country porlk ribs. Mostly  stuck in envy of the meal sister cooked - lamb shoulder and shanks.  And they are headed to a big Italian Easter Monday feast (a holiday in OZ)

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, heidih said:

Are those pretty eggs destined for deviled eggs or?  Always fun when the dye bleeds through a bit so you get coorful mottled whites when peeled. We came to prefer the food coloring that comes in little teardrop shaped plastic bottles. Vivid colors = smiles by kids. 

We do the "egg war" with ours, and then they are set to become egg salad.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1