• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

I made a kind of cheater version of a chicken curry and Aloo Gobi together in one pan in the oven.
I got the idea from Andy’s East Coast Kitchen.
I used the combination of spices to make the curry powder
that I would normally use in a chicken curry and mixed it with olive oil, grated ginger and two garlic cloves to make a paste.
I made just enough for dinner.
Two chicken legs and two thighs, a sliced white onion, cauliflower and a couple of potatoes cut into eights.
ChickenCurryintheovenMarch12th20231.thumb.jpg.a5823118738ddb86a6afe07f6869d378.jpg

Toss all of the ingredients with the paste, salt and pepper and placed in a shallow casserole dish , drizzled with a little more olive oil and roasted in a 475°F oven for about 45 to 50 minutes.
Turned the chicken and the potatoes once.
Near the end I added a little homemade chicken broth.

ChickenCurryintheovenMarch12th20234.thumb.jpg.f5608d570cbce51bb0433970344931d4.jpg

Finished with chopped cilantro and served with basmati rice.
Was surprising very good. Moe loved it. Definitely a keeper and the perfect way to have curry on a work night.
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 6

Tagine flatbread with eggplant and minted spinach from Tal Ronnen’ s Crossroads cookbook - really good and the tagine sauce was particular good.
Tagine sauce was made from shallots, dried apricots, garlic, cinnamon, ginger, paprika, turmeric, harissa spice mix, cumin, tomatoes and vegetable stock and cooked down for the right consistency. Topped with oven-roasted eggplant. Once the flatbread was finished in the oven it was topped with baby spinach tossed in a mint vinaigrette.

A302E994-F458-4F79-B5D6-F952FABE56E7.thumb.jpeg.7457e64e7c7b53514963921e5dba5635.jpeg

• Like 11

Somewhat easy dinner.  Two of these:

IMG_8819.thumb.jpeg.81d7c278073f5544ed677693b5151532.jpeg

Giant organic artichokes (braised in white wine, lemon, olive oil, herbs, garlic), on sale via Fresh Direct, at only $4 a pop. House-made mayonnaise-y thing.

IMG_8821.thumb.jpeg.20c30f14085bbf525de9a080ffb333e0.jpeg

Penne with pork ragu.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It's been cold-ish--totally normal for March.  Made a big pot of venison chili.  Had that with Fritos and tamales.

thumbnail_IMG_4142.jpg.0b64274d31e7e882e431364c358f0d89.jpg

Ronnie corned a Canadian goose.

thumbnail_IMG_4121.jpg.db1d3e8b3a51b78b5a89293aed80281b.jpg

I vac packed.  After perusing the internet I decided to SV them.  Got the legs started about 5:30 in the morning at 179F.  Put the breasts in about 12:30 in the afternoon.  So the legs went for about 13 hours and the breasts for about 6 hours.  Turned out well!

thumbnail_IMG_4146.jpg.a1afb4df0f480a5aadadceaa918ca074.jpg

Forgot to take a picture of the sliced meat--I did it as thinly as I could with a knife--didn't want to drag out the slicer.  So reubens! Also made some fries and stuffed some jalapeños.

thumbnail_IMG_4147.jpg.653e3f835ef1a046a7949151e3d8840c.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4148.jpg.09afc8b3ea6a6bc5c45f1297a4163d24.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 6

After the last few posts, I'm kind of embarrassed to post this. However it is Fridge/Freezer Cleaning Eve and tomorrow I have two such things to deal with, so I've been avoiding buying ingredients that need cold.

So I had some ground/minced leanish pork in freezer 1 and defrosted that, braised it with garlic (unchopped), sliced shiitake, Kashmiri mirch and Guizhou peppers, white wine, cilantro/coriander leaf and culantro. Served that with rice also from same freezer, and defrosted and heated up by Chef Mike.   

For a fridge clearing it wasn't at all bad. I may even repeat under more favourable conditions in future.

porkricesmall.thumb.jpg.2775cf079db442bf0f23dfabc9676b82.jpg

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 3/9/2023 at 4:28 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Shoprite prepared pork eggrolls are vile.

I saw the follow-up post about not bothering with these again; but just in case, I offer my beloved late cousin Eileen's instructions about how to make store-bought eggrolls taste like restaurant eggrolls:  "fry 'em in fish grease".   

For what it's worth, that woman could slay in the kitchen.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Pork chop with green beans and baked potato.  Paso Robles Zin.

nfg-pork-chop34.jpg.77591011eb477e5b1e429f3dae9ecdfa.jpg

I like that wine glass, sir!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

23285248-A0B9-4677-BB49-D7E4587AA15A.thumb.jpeg.936bdad769dcab2c0293d62b9d665a05.jpeg

Perhaps not what one would choose to celebrate days of dental challenges with but it has some substance to it. The bun as @Katie Meadownoted elsewhere was disgusting. I might have to try that flour tortilla trick she mentions in the Dirty Water Dogs topic. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@mgaretz –  Mr. Kim mentioned that as soon as he tasted the ribs! 

@Norm Matthews – your chicken and dumplings look so good.  I haven’t made them in ages and am wanting some now.

@Shelby – good Lord, girl!  Every single thing you made looks fantastic. 

@Duvel – you have made me crave katsu!  Maybe next week. 

@MaryIsobel – I’m sorry that you and your husband are going through this.  Hope the complications are resolved and he’s home with you soon.

@&roid - Happy Birthday to Mrs. Droid.  Celebrating with scallops and flatfish seems like the best possible celebratory meal!

@Dejah – glad to hear you are feeling better.  Your fish and chips looks perfect!

@SLB – I thought I was conversant in all forms of frying mediums, but what the heck is “fish grease”. 🤪

On Friday I was not feeling well, so this ended up being my dinner:

1-IMG_2438.jpg.3521b477d2fbbcb2436c1b1cfb834f65.jpg

Friday:

1-IMG_2448.jpg.6f868bf611b790e34935de7770d67955.jpg

Fixed up locally made Brunswick stew.  KFC slaw, frozen fries and onion rings, and some of Mr. Kim’s BBQ from the freezer.

Last night was Mexican at a neighborhood place that’s become “our place”.  Jessica’s Maya quesadilla with mushrooms, shrimp, beans, and cheese.  With rice and a crema salad:

1-IMG_2461.jpg.a8b8388399bad3500360f25da7f77f17.jpg

Mr. Kim’s burrito filled with grilled steak, rice, and beans and topped with cheese dip.  With a guacamole salad:

1-IMG_2462.jpg.995998ab260b29908a0ce60c9c53172b.jpg

I went full Taco Bell-style – a beef burrito and a crunchy beef taco with rice:

1-IMG_2464.jpg.2993f573833b3f80b3e4398d18b5a76c.jpg

I’d had potatoes with lunch, so I wanted to stay away from a lot of beans and tomatoes.  There were beans on the plate, but I didn’t eat them.  And I had very little salsa.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 2

41 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@SLB – I thought I was conversant in all forms of frying mediums, but what the heck is “fish grease”. 🤪

It's the oil the catfish was fried in!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2023 at 9:31 AM, Anna N said:

Beef Bourguignon Is classic.

It certainly is.  I was more curious as to why you believe my version is a 'stew' as opposed to beef bourg.  If you do not wish to indulge me, that is certainly your prerogative. 

And so long as I include the proper (good quality) wine, the cooking of onions/mushrooms in a different pot, is moot.  Consider me doing a service for the environment by using the same pot to sear and cook everything and having to waste less water on clean-up!

A Frenchman would not tell the difference, rest assured.

52 minutes ago, Anna N said:

23285248-A0B9-4677-BB49-D7E4587AA15A.thumb.jpeg.936bdad769dcab2c0293d62b9d665a05.jpeg

Perhaps not what one would choose to celebrate days of dental challenges with but it has some substance to it. The bun as @Katie Meadownoted elsewhere was disgusting. I might have to try that flour tortilla trick she mentions in the Dirty Water Dogs topic. 

Not a trick! Really just a burrito with the dog, some rice, coleslaw heavy on the mustard, and if I have them, pickled jalapeño or other pickled veg, either inside or on the side, like you would get at any Mexican place worth its salt. I make a really basic pickle, like red onion, carrot, radish, jalapeños if I have fresh ones on hand. I do a similar burrito with grilled fish or shrimp and a slaw with crema, or the equivalent, and no mustard in the slaw. 

On 3/12/2023 at 4:26 AM, &roid said:

We’ve been celebrating Mrs Droid’s birthday this weekend. Last night I did a recipe I’d seen on Raymond Blanc’s Netflix series - whole flatfish steamed over champagne, served with kohlrabi and a buerre blanc made with the cooking liquid. 

We started with some lovely scallops served with bacon and nduja. Could have done with adding something pickled to this dish…

6016B1BC-FFAA-43D9-8497-D07B7BDF6F32.thumb.jpeg.dcb765a6c0c8a86a133cb7fcfabd1809.jpeg58035433-10C8-4016-A5D7-CEC8DD06DCF8.thumb.jpeg.00a4a2f9b9ed021717b3ba50e617b1a0.jpeg

The main event was cooked over a ton of herbs (parsley, thyme, tarragon), some lemon slices, hard spices (coriander, star anise, caraway, fennel) and a bottle of sparkling wine. I went for a cremant here as actual champagne gets drunk far too quickly to be used in cooking!

Perfect sear on those scallops!  What type of fat did you cook it in?

Pickled ramps would have worked and complimented the rest of the dish nicely. 

52 minutes ago, TicTac said:

A Frenchman would not tell the difference, rest assured.

Far be it for a Brit like me to debate with someone who can state with conviction that they know the tastebuds of a Frenchman. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

A while back somebody posted a recipe for New England Style hot dog rolls. They are wonderful and I can't eat a hot dog any other way now.

Thanks. I have made my own buns in the past. It is no longer a viable option. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Husband was sprung from the hospital today. Our kids are on their way over with sushi from out favourite spot and a dolce de leche cheesecake made by my daughter as per my request. We are celebrating my birthday and my daughter's boyfriend's birthday and of course my husband being out of hospital in fine shape!

• Like 19