• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

5EEE0297-597D-44DC-BDF8-D14F2ABC2A83.thumb.jpeg.10a593783a614fac477104b2851ab98f.jpeg

Perhaps the best corned beef I have ever cooked. Grabbed a 3 1/2 pound flat cut brisket at Aldi. Cut it in half, cooked one half in the IP, high pressure for an hour. Switched to slow cook, added veggies, cooked for five hours. Potatoes, carrots and beef were marvelous. Cabbage was over cooked. 

Celebrated Arkansas and Tennessee moving on to the Sweet Sixteen.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 3/16/2023 at 5:44 PM, MaryIsobel said:

That cabbage sounds great. I will hve to look for juniper berries - probably shouldn't just pluck them from the landscaping shrubs - or should I?

I bought juniper berries via Amazon. Did not notice I was buying 8 oz. I have juniper berries for YEARS. Pm me your address and I’ll send you some.

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 hours ago, Ann_T said:

It is highway driving, with five lights and if I hit all green lights I am sometimes home in 10 minutes.   The dark shapes are Kalamata olives. 

I can actually picture the drive if it's Duncan to Cowichan Bay!

• Like 1

Chicken in southern Thai red curry, with added green beans and zucchini that needed using up. Made the lazy way – Panang curry paste jazzed up with garlic, ginger, green and dried red chiles, and turmeric. Southern Thai curries are like a mash-up of Thai and Indian curry ingredients, and quite delicious.

South_Thai_Curry_202303-2.thumb.jpg.f74726e7a4fe955e2a0696d7fa553301.jpg

Jasmine rice, and green beans with olive oil and lemon.

South_Thai_Curry_202303-1.thumb.jpg.2625fa66682db5d45ff87e121b1c9d37.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

9 hours ago, Dejah said:

@ShelbyDid the corned beef come out moist with SV? I have such a hard time cooking it. Tried Ann_T's roasting, slow braise, and always seems to come out dry. Might have to make my own? I just remember my Dad's corned beef, moist and tender.

Gotta take care not to get corned beef that has added papain if you  plan sous vide. The temp  optimum for papain is at the SV  temp and the meat comes out like cat food

The CB without papain typically says so in big letters on the wrapper.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

17 hours ago, Raamo said:

It's a  multi step recipe.  I used to order at the authors restaurant.

Inside the book is 2 version of ras el hanout - a easy version and the restaurant version - I made the "hard core" version and it's amazing!

So the kefka is ground duck with ras el hanout, onions, other spices, panko, and an egg.

The sauce is tomatoes, onions, and harissa: I use AB's version.

You finish it with chickpeas + sauce + kefka then once they all hot add egg yolks, preserved lemon, and cilantro. 

The Ras El hanout, Harrisa, and Preserved Lemon really make the dish for me.  

The cook book is only $12 right now (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)  it's got a lot of neat recipes.  We enjoyed the slow cooked green beans at the restaurant, and have made it at home our selves.

He's got a recipe for chicken bastilla in the cookbook that I plan to make next weekend for guests.  Uses the Ras el Hanout as well as the Preserved Lemon.   I've made it before and it's the best meat pie I've ever had.

We're down to the final 1/4 or so of preserved lemon in our fridge - so I started a new Jar - it'll be "ready" in a few months - Alton says you can use it after 30 days, but it's much better after 6 months or more.  Our current stock is a few years old.

Here's the new lemons and salt compared to the years old lemons and salt.

20230318_125039.thumb.jpg.d8cd0bddd9109b5758fb84003528fc3a.jpg

You usually only use the rind - it's super soft and the flavor is amazing!

Excellent! Thank you. I’ve ordered a copy - it’s substantially cheaper for me to get it shipped from the US than buying on Amazon.co.uk ($28 vs £48!), so will await its arrival eagerly 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Dejah said:

@Mmmpomps

Sorry if I am repeating myself, but may I have a link to these fabulous potatoes?

19 hours ago, Shelby said:

I don't have a direct link, but I copied and pasted her exact words onto my saved recipes place:

These are roasted spuds my Aunt in England showed me how to make: Preheat oven to 425 to 450.Peel whole potatoes, boil in salted water 4 to7 minutes until the outside is softened to about 1 cm in. Drain in the pot and with lid on shake the bejeebus out of the spuds to rough them up. Use a heavy pan..cast iron is great and pour VEGETABLE OIL *this is the secret to the crispiness* You can preheat the oil in the oven if you want. Then toss spuds in and coat them in the oil and salt aggressively. Cook 30 to 45 minutes until crispy brown, turning once.

A slightly different method, with quite similar results...https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-roast-potatoes-ever-recipe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

My niece requested miso salmon bowls for dinner.  This one had lots of spiralized carrots (a PITA even with the KitchenAid spiralizer attachment), roasted purple daikon radishes (they sunk to the bottom of the bowl), shiitake mushrooms, and pea shoots.

misosalmonramenbowl.thumb.jpg.4fce7f04a0284abfbbf74a6dc8647c9a.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

13 hours ago, kayb said:

5EEE0297-597D-44DC-BDF8-D14F2ABC2A83.thumb.jpeg.10a593783a614fac477104b2851ab98f.jpeg

Perhaps the best corned beef I have ever cooked. Grabbed a 3 1/2 pound flat cut brisket at Aldi. Cut it in half, cooked one half in the IP, high pressure for an hour. Switched to slow cook, added veggies, cooked for five hours. Potatoes, carrots and beef were marvelous. Cabbage was over cooked. 

Celebrated Arkansas and Tennessee moving on to the Sweet Sixteen.

My town's Catholic Church used to have a St. Pat's dinner ever year except during the Pandemic.  The Knights of Columbus did all the preparations and the Corned Beef was amazingly goo...far better than any I'd ever had.

Two years ago the the Diocese decided that all the proceeds should bo to them and not to the church whose members provided everything.  So last year the church decided that was enough.  Now there's no more big dinner that brough in lots of money for the small church in a small town.    So now everyone loses.  Another sign of the times.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 9

Supper of Convenience: All ingredients courtesy of Safeway: Har Gow, War Teep, and edamame.

Dumplingsandpotstickers0391.jpg.759bc8d66793d028037c40ac86df770c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Classic pizza & movie night 🤗

Pizza Glasnevin*

F443DB29-4E7B-4850-BE3E-F2DB91C03887.thumb.jpeg.958a07e6e08a3165cd77405126bf1b33.jpeg

Anchovies, capers & olives pizza

9DB57738-B665-4B95-9BFE-4461B9993D6B.thumb.jpeg.4c85b5a36b17d66b2af04fbb566b2a72.jpeg

Enjoyed while watching the live action version of „Lady & the tramp“ …

8E8E353E-5887-4BDD-AC3D-3A57D3112EEF.thumb.jpeg.6095d84ce2df4044e58aa374e08cf68f.jpeg

—-

* A pizza featuring pineapple & corned beef. In my mind the only place where these two ingredients would naturally occur together would be Glasnevin, a residential area of Dublin, featuring the National Botanic Gardens (which have pineapple trees) & where corned beef prevalence is a given. It is also the place I lived while studying veeeery** hard at the UCD.

** VERY !

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 13
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, kayb said:

I bought juniper berries via Amazon. Did not notice I was buying 8 oz. I have juniper berries for YEARS. Pm me your address and I’ll send you some.

That's very kind of you, but apparently one of the groceries here sells them in bulk.

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Classic pizza & movie night 🤗

Pizza Glasnevin*

F443DB29-4E7B-4850-BE3E-F2DB91C03887.thumb.jpeg.958a07e6e08a3165cd77405126bf1b33.jpeg

Anchovies, capers & olives pizza

9DB57738-B665-4B95-9BFE-4461B9993D6B.thumb.jpeg.4c85b5a36b17d66b2af04fbb566b2a72.jpeg

Enjoyed while watching the live action version of „Lady & the tramp“ …

8E8E353E-5887-4BDD-AC3D-3A57D3112EEF.thumb.jpeg.6095d84ce2df4044e58aa374e08cf68f.jpeg

—-

* A pizza featuring pineapple & corned beef. In my mind the only place where these two ingredients would naturally occur together would be Glasnevin, a residential area of Dublin, featuring the National Botanic Gardens (which have pineapple trees) & where corned beef prevalence is a given. It is also the place I lived while studying veeeery** hard at the UCD.

i

** VERY !

I hope you noticed that an Airedale saves the day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Red clam sauce made with Bumble Bee canned whole baby clams, which were really tender, I just added them to heat in the simmering sauce 2 minutes before serving. I was a little worried they would be like erasers, so I was pleased it worked out OK. Making a concerted effort to reduce my canned goods stock.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Had some zucchini, yellow squash and kielbasa to use up. Sauce was reconstituted guajillo, pasilla, and mulato chiles, garlic, and white onion, blended and fried before mixing with chicken stock, cumin, nutmeg, etc. Sautéed the squash and meat separately to maintain texture. Calabaza con Colorado?

Braised baby potatoes with garlic and bay leaves.

Coloradosquash202303.thumb.jpg.ff195886b48a3669fb1fbcb8bed74316.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1