• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

I had planned latkes and caviar for this morning. With mimosas. Got up and didn't feel like latkes and caviar. So -- protein shake it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Two lunches for 2022! I bought a lot of BBQ meats from my favourite shop in the city. The owner gave me a big bag of bones! Soup is perfect for the extreme winter temperatures we've been experiencing, such as -38C with windchill of -48C/F!

Made congee then added all the fixings

480615739_1.1Congee6198.jpg.4fb557cee4ca0858ea4c7c4701966f26.jpg

Today, we had savoury Tong Yuen

1128219521_TangYuen6202.jpg.b40c1004829f721fa76f041546e8e9c9.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 1/2/2022 at 9:35 AM, Raamo said:

We made a double batch of this: https://www.seriouseats.com/new-orleans-style-red-beans-rice-recipe

20220102_113242.thumb.jpg.c2de429dceeabdfeffadc97feaa343c7.jpg

We'll eat 2*2 servings this week and freeze the other 6*2.

So good!

That looks fabulous. Having grown up on the west coast of Canada, I didn't try (nor had I heard of) red beans and rice until my first trip to New Orleans in my 40's. They are on permanent rotation here and a great freezer meal.

@Shelby - The cocktail sauce actually is for the cheese.  I think it must be a family thing because I don't know anyone else who does this except my dad's family.  I guess my mom got it from them, because I grew up with it.  If there is a plate of nibbles that includes cheese or bologna or ring sausage and crackers, there is always a little bowl of cocktail sauce.  No clue where or when that started, but my paternal family is very into cocktail/happy house culture and has always been as far as I can remember.  My  83 year old dad and his twin brother sit down to wine and a carefully arranged plate of nibbles every night at 5pm.  I think I'm ready to start following the family tradition😁!

I'm pretty sure this was lunch:

IMG_7887.jpg.a741558d2a49636b660337077d85794e.jpg

😊

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

10 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Because some days you just need cream of tomato and grilled cheese:

IMG_7889.jpg.0ceb8b4e1b67d162c520dccdca6b8d9d.jpg

Straight from the red and white can with milk instead of water and grocery store deli American on white bread.  Unapologetically delicious.  

When mom used to drag me to downtown l.A. to get school uniforms (talk about sadistic fashion) the reward was that lunch. We never had grilled cheese or tomato soup at home. Thanks for the memories.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Because some days you just need cream of tomato and grilled cheese:

IMG_7889.jpg.0ceb8b4e1b67d162c520dccdca6b8d9d.jpg

Straight from the red and white can with milk instead of water and grocery store deli American on white bread.  Unapologetically delicious.  

Total comfort food to me. As I went to school in the stone age, we used to come home for lunch and this was often lunch.

• Like 3

Oddly, it was a combination I don't recall ever encountering until well into adulthood.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Oddly, it was a combination I don't recall ever encountering until well into adulthood.

A combination from which so far I have been spared.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Total comfort food to me. As I went to school in the stone age, we used to come home for lunch and this was often lunch.

Me too. Haven't had the combination for many decades, though I did have the grilled cheese just last night. With fermented hop soup.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

In honor of the marvelous New Orleans dining that @Chris Hennes shared this week, I planned to treat myself to a lunch of seafood gumbo from a local place but when I went online to order, I saw they had a few soft shell crabs available so a soft shell crab po'boy was my lunch.

sscrabpoboy.thumb.jpg.a95357d29026b5206ad83d2ec8ba4f41.jpg

I can't say the crab is shown at its best but I was hungry so this is all the photography I bothered with. 

Gumbo has been deferred to another day.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 5

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

In honor of the marvelous New Orleans dining that @Chris Hennes shared this week, I planned to treat myself to a lunch of seafood gumbo from a local place but when I went online to order, I saw they had a few soft shell crabs available so a soft shell crab po'boy was my lunch.

sscrabpoboy.thumb.jpg.a95357d29026b5206ad83d2ec8ba4f41.jpg

I can't say the crab is shown at its best but I was hungry so this is all the photography I bothered with. 

Gumbo has been deferred to another day.

How was their po boy bread?

Decided to make a photo before I ate everything. My hand baggage only had food and fruits.

sEOJjj9.jpg

Always bring back Portuguese garlic. (Unless you prefer Chinese garlic)

hONPNP4.jpg

Bolo de caco* with spicy octopus. (*Madeiran circular bread made from sweet potatoes and flour, traditionally cooked on a slab of basalt.)

ryw5zLx.jpg

h7GmhMa.jpg

Some time last week on the island...

Limpets every day

NoznR4w.jpg

When you forgot to say "sim cebola, por favor."...

r2ggK0E.jpg

QWIm1Dw.jpg

What would the people who say "no dairy in seafood" think of this? Black scabbard with passion fruit custard and flambeed banana. I think they would rather have dairy in seafood.

The most popular dish to serve to tourists. Had to do it, just once. Madeirans don't use bananas in this meal.

z8TWAkb.jpg

Portuguese name for Madeira is "flower of the ocean". In some languages it's "island of flowers/flower island". This is one of Madeira's famous gardens: the botanical garden.

H4Ll31Y.jpg

At the airport now...

(The way things are going, it's not when, it's if.)

wzENwfR.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My lunches are a lot less exciting compared to @BonVivant

l bought two rockfish filets for dinner and used thinner parts to make soup.  Chicken stock was blended with roasted tomatoes, I had a few leftover roasted carrots.  Also fish and avocado.  Considering the rainy gloomy weather, it hit the spot.

006311B2-F844-4E51-BFF7-404B55B354D4.thumb.jpeg.f7d8c2aff6fc5a19e9569ef7a74ede23.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Spaghetti with breaded egg

7E74EA17-4B18-4A4A-BD6F-FD3CC932237C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.39d713466a38c395a3f4073478bbfe3d.jpeg

Here's a money shot of that breaded, deep fried, poached egg:

39237596-A7B0-4B6B-B8DC-0BE2DA432EB3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.d8b23d1a3289a2e1f1d4c9047042ed37.jpeg

A carbonara-like concoction courtesy of a @Chris Hennes photo from his New Orleans trip:

On 1/3/2022 at 2:49 PM, Chris Hennes said:

My wife had a "small plate" of homemade spaghetti topped with breaded egg. She reports that it, too, was excellent.

20220103-IMG_0148.jpg

@Smithy asked for a bit more info and @Dave the Cook offered a link to a recipe that @JAZ created after eating at the same New Orleans establishment some years back. 

On 1/7/2022 at 5:37 PM, Smithy said:

Chris, everything looks enviably delicious and I'm glad you brought us along. I have a few belated questions, beginning with this dish at Herbsaint

What exactly is breaded egg? I can't make it out from the picture. Oh, and do you remember what sort of sauce was with that spaghetti?

On 1/8/2022 at 8:57 AM, Dave the Cook said:

At the risk of pre-empting Chris, and the further risk of being accused of shameless promotion (the recipe was worked out by my partner, @JAZ), it looks quite a bit like this. Maybe not exactly carbonara, but that little strip of bacon on top brings it awfully close.

Chris reported that the piece on top was guanciale, an ingredient that my pantry is lacking. I cut some some country ham into slivers and crisped them up.  Not a bad sub since I got a bit in each bite. 

Thanks for the lunch, all!

• Like 7
  • Delicious 9