• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2022

liuzhou

Soup was on the menu here as well. Picked up packages of Ramen noodles. These were vacuum packed "fresh". So handy to have on hand as they do not need refrigeration. Had a few pieces of leftover soy sauce chicken, added some bok choy, all cooked up in chicken broth with a bit of miso.

605831815_RamenNoodles6291.jpg.7350e26ef3c96caf901984e531aaefcb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

Soup was on the menu here as well. Picked up packages of Ramen noodles. These were vacuum packed "fresh". So handy to have on hand as they do not need refrigeration. Had a few pieces of leftover soy sauce chicken, added some bok choy, all cooked up in chicken broth with a bit of miso.

605831815_RamenNoodles6291.jpg.7350e26ef3c96caf901984e531aaefcb.jpg

That is almost exactly what I had for lunch, too! Only difference was I used leftover roast duck.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

The Sprouted Tortilla

Man the addition of corn sprouts ( or what ever )   really make the tortilla wholesome and earthy

51829693052_ed7a0df869_z.jpg

Wait! So the sprout on the tortilla are corn you sprouted? Do tell. Another rabbit hole 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

@heidih  --  No/  these were at our Asian market/  Like a 2# bag for a 1$.

New to me - will keep an eye out when I can move about. Is there a corny taste? I looked online and can sprout at home but need to source best seed. So many many things to try ;) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

The Sprouted Tortilla

Man the addition of corn sprouts ( or what ever )   really make the tortilla wholesome and earthy

51829693052_ed7a0df869_z.jpg

These are SOY BEAN sprouts, as opposed to MUNG BEAN sprouts. The "heads' require more chew but so delicious. I like to stir-fry them with lots of  green onion, and some protein sometimes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 1/8/2022 at 12:31 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

A combination from which so far I have been spared.

Its like mac and cheese to me. Reputation usually exceeds the execution. It reminds me of elementary school cafeteria food...which has its place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Its like mac and cheese to me. Reputation usually exceeds the execution. It reminds me of elementary school cafeteria food...which has its place. 

Sadly what that brings to mind is canned asparagus and saliferous chipped beef.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sadly what that brings to mind is canned asparagus and saliferous chipped beef.

Every once in a while I'll encounter a foodish smell that yanks me back to Mrs. Sneathen at the cafeteria at Lafayette Consolidated Elementary School.

Asparagus isn't part of it. She was a kind woman...generous with the pasta.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Every once in a while I'll encounter a foodish smell that yanks me back to Mrs. Sneathen at the cafeteria at Lafayette Consolidated Elementary School.

Asparagus isn't part of it. She was a kind woman...generous with the pasta.

Lafayette was a patriot and I'm sure he knew how to eat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Jessica went to a school in Salem, VA for a couple of years that served their own yeast rolls served with those little pats of butter on paper squares.  I used to volunteer in the cafeteria during grandparents' week and the cafeteria manager would call a break mid-morning when the first batch would come out of the ovens and we'd all sit down and have our fill.  Glorious!

Saturday lunch at a local café after delivering the shelter lunches.  I had the French dip:

IMG_7937.jpg.11a10b124263e2e4f81f1d0baa192f58.jpg 

Mr. Kim had the Gorgonzola and A-1 burger:

IMG_7938.jpg.ab5eab7e99bc933b703c2c074184c180.jpg 

Sunday lunch:

IMG_7951.thumb.jpg.f1b82af90a9f46c346736766a00eefd2.jpg 

Leftover wings from the wing cook-off done in the CSO on bake/steam at 350F.  They would have been slightly more crisp on convection, but I was afraid they would also have been drier and tougher.  They were great still.  Also some good ciabatta we got at a little market just down the street from the café the day before. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Chicken Piccata and pesto pasta.  I used the large muscle from each chicken thigh and incorporated the remainder of the thigh into another experiment.   Three thighs yielded nine ounces of meat.  The meat was really easy to pound thin and fried up beautifully.    

IMG_20220120_120838716.thumb.jpg.60d830e936387ef415716efc282d0184.jpg

IMG_20220120_115301451.thumb.jpg.48555421b89086002d6d8a8ef3d44e49.jpg

IMG_20220118_094856999_HDR.thumb.jpg.3a4ed1c29a0c1833673f0e78c75954dd.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

I know @Duvel wants spaghetti, but we were celebrating last night's hard-fought 49er victory at lunch today. So...

4E69A882-0EBD-4CB2-B206-504B446AAE29.thumb.jpeg.fa5a141ad520818aecd36ea620547517.jpeg

Meatballs and sauce. Pizza. And focaccia. 

Now, if one were to take a piece of that focaccia, cut it in half horizontally, dip it in some of that sauce and then put a meatball (cut in half) in there, put it back together and then eat it, one would have a truly delicious sandwich, that even the very few, still extant old-school NYC Italian places might have a hard time matching.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Cave-aged Kaltbach

2vg0ZwX.jpg

I blitzed the last of a boozy cherry compote in the blender with some more wine  and lemon juice added. Lamb's liver has been cooked SV first. There's  a Greek meze liver dish that is marinated in red wine (and lemon juice).

a6Pdz1T.jpg

Greek anchovies

ct6hxI9.jpg

Just a few things I have lying around and it's lunch.

eh3VrCj.jpg

Another lunch.

Cretan-style (sourdough rye) toast.

27vNkmu.jpg

Scrambled eggs with tomatoes, feta and kalamata.

1YxQ8bD.jpg

Memories of Santorini...

How you know it's a local place... the salad has more tomatoes, more cheese and is drenched in olive oil.
FYI, the world's 2 top olive oil producers Italy and Spain, consume on average 10.5 litres a year. Cretans consume more than 35 litres a year (!), more than anyone/population in the whole world! Olive oil is king in Cretan gastronomy.
4fCMhVd.jpg

Aubergine dip. On Santorini they eat Santorini aubergines (Solanum avigerum). This variety is only available on the pretty island (mostly in people's own gardens),  white, seedless, not bitter at all, and hardly absorbs oil.

AiBuzA2.jpg

Good Bifteki, not dry at all. Reminds me of German "Frikandellen" but I like Bifteki more when I'm in Greece, of course.

2YddFwn.jpg

Lamb chops in Greece usually look well-done but it's tender and flavourful. If you eat meat never miss a chance to try the lamb.

NU2iR5m.jpg

I still sleep badly when I think of the earthquakes I experience in Crete! Then I look at these photos and want to go there again!

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

AS the crazyness continues::

The Vegan Mungbean Tortilla

Wild Ghost rice Bineshii/ RG yellow eyed's/ Mung's sprouts/ cilantro red onion/ Mama Lupee low car tortilla ( light fry in pan with oil)/ Romaine lettuce base

I like an Ortega sauce it adds just a touch of sweetness--again very wholesome

51844795328_d021126c9d_z.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels