• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

Migas.  A sunny side up egg in a small pan smothered in salsa and handful of tortilla chips.  Cover the pan to soften the chips for few minutes and flip over into a bowl.  Normally drizzled with crema, but I had cottage cheese instead.  It was ugly but so good on a chilly morning.

• Like 6

On 12/7/2022 at 12:19 PM, Anna N said:

This looks so very good so of course I have to follow the links and check out the recipes. It’s been ages since I even thought about Mandy! But now I have to ask you what you what thought of the scrambled eggs with starch

I thought the texture was a bit different but not at all unpleasant.  The curds were soft and moist and the part that's still liquid when you take it off the heat kind of gels up so it's not too liquid-y.  I think I tried this when she first shared the recipe on her blog but can find no evidence of it but I don't recall being wowed.  I probably used cornstarch, which Mandy has since removed from the starch options.  I used potato starch this time.  It's an extra step but seems to provide a little insurance, preventing them from getting too hard when overcooked or liquid-y when undercooked. I'll try to remember to play around with it next time I'm in a scrambling mood. 

6 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Ditto.

Revolting.

i don’t care if it tastes amazing.

Looks a bit like cookie dough that should have been baked.

Exactly!  I know I cooked it thicker than some people like their oatmeal but there was never a point in the process that it looked appealing! Unbaked cookie dough is a very charitable assessment compared to how I would describe the earlier stages 🤣

This morning, I went to check out a new bakery in the area. They're not officially open yet but are working out the kinks so I was able to get some bread but had to Venmo the owner as their payment systems aren't up yet.  

Nice looking bread:

1578DD7F-D8F9-44F9-A800-F8174D73DC9B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9da1dd8c928dd7bc0d9be7654b81aca4.jpeg

Since I hadn't had breakfast yet, I let them talk me into taking one of their cinnamon rolls home.  Here it is after a couple of bites:

8EE51A24-DC08-4EFC-8E56-29B46FD1F5D2_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e9f3bb05d0130aa331146e891ce0291f.jpeg

I told myself I'll only eat a little and save the rest for tomorrow.  We'll see how that goes! 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

Rotuts – I haven’t tried LOW pressure for eggs in the IP.  I do them in the little rack and with one cup of water.  When I’m not being lazy, I also do the ice water bath.  How long at LOW pressure? I usually do 5 minutes on HIGH and do a quick release.  Thank you! 

This morning:

1-pic1.jpg.f5e9db93445132b5234576bbf986d628.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kim Shook said:

Rotuts – I haven’t tried LOW pressure for eggs in the IP.  I do them in the little rack and with one cup of water.  When I’m not being lazy, I also do the ice water bath.  How long at LOW pressure? I usually do 5 minutes on HIGH and do a quick release.  Thank you! 

This morning:

1-pic1.jpg.f5e9db93445132b5234576bbf986d628.jpg

I'm not @rotuts but my hardboiled eggs in the IP are always 5 mins on LOW.  Natural release (usually takes about 5 mins up to 7) then take eggs out and into cold water/ice bath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@rotuts has an APO.

But is it even unpacked?

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

16 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I thought the texture was a bit different but not at all unpleasant.  The curds were soft and moist and the part that's still liquid when you take it off the heat kind of gels up so it's not too liquid-y.  I think I tried this when she first shared the recipe on her blog but can find no evidence of it but I don't recall being wowed.  I probably used cornstarch, which Mandy has since removed from the starch options.  I used potato starch this time.  It's an extra step but seems to provide a little insurance, preventing them from getting too hard when overcooked or liquid-y when undercooked. I'll try to remember to play around with it next time I'm in a scrambling mood. 

Exactly!  I know I cooked it thicker than some people like their oatmeal but there was never a point in the process that it looked appealing! Unbaked cookie dough is a very charitable assessment compared to how I would describe the earlier stages 🤣

This morning, I went to check out a new bakery in the area. They're not officially open yet but are working out the kinks so I was able to get some bread but had to Venmo the owner as their payment systems aren't up yet.  

Nice looking bread:

1578DD7F-D8F9-44F9-A800-F8174D73DC9B_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9da1dd8c928dd7bc0d9be7654b81aca4.jpeg

Since I hadn't had breakfast yet, I let them talk me into taking one of their cinnamon rolls home.  Here it is after a couple of bites:

8EE51A24-DC08-4EFC-8E56-29B46FD1F5D2_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e9f3bb05d0130aa331146e891ce0291f.jpeg

I told myself I'll only eat a little and save the rest for tomorrow.  We'll see how that goes! 

Looks like boiled cookie dough.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I was true to my word yesterday and only ate two bites of that cinnamon roll.  Warmed it up in the CSO and am enjoying it for breakfast today. 

They posted this photo of the platter that they tempted me with yesterday on their Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cl9XZVXPPDH/ 

I think they poured all that extra caramel sauce on after I got mine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I got to scratch an itch this morning. I went to start the obligatory bacon this morning and noticed the boiled eggs I had forgotten to take with me to school on Wednesday and I was suddenly struck by the need for egg salad.  My egg salad supplier had long since moved away and I had not had it in years and have never actually made it myself. A little mayo, Dijon, salt, pepper, pickle juice and garlic powder later, and even keto bread couldn't kill my buzz.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is for @rotutsand his issue with unmelted cheese on breakfast sandwiches. This is a Deb Perelman recipe from Smitten Kitchen Keepers. The recipe is available in the ”look inside” feature on Amazon. Essentially, you beat an egg, begin cooking it in a nonstick pan and as it firms up, you add some cheese into the centre and then fold up the edges of the egg over the cheese. Not sure how well the photograph turned out.  

E2B19D5C-6F17-44CF-9A6F-F5C0301DF163.jpeg

Edited by Anna N
Missed out on essential step. (log)
  • Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Anna, you say you beat the egg, but then it is fried like beginning an omelet?   

Looks quite okay in your photo.

Yes. On Saturdays I expect my readers to be mind readers.😂😂😂😂

• Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Sunday is NFL day in our household.

Recently we have been starting with some dim sum goodies for breakfast.  
Today we used the CSO Super Steam at 250F function to cook our little bundles of joy.  Worked a treat and no steamer to clean up.  DH thought the temperature should be a bit higher so will try that next time.  I bought the har gow and siu mai but made our own pot stickers which I cook then freeze so they just need frying.  Delicious.  
I think I will try to make some rice rolls in the CSO and just use the tray it comes with.

• Like 3

I showed Moe a roasted chicken on Facebook this morning and I commented that whenever I see a roast chicken I want a roast chicken dinner.
His response was he would eat that for breakfast.

I didn't have a whole chicken, but I did have bone in chicken breasts.
So, I made a simple version of a chicken dinner. I didn't have time to make dressing, but I had a box of Stove Top in the pantry.
1230318281_RoastChickenBreakfastDecember12th2022.thumb.jpg.fcecda5ced884876903241257b2eddd1.jpg

So along with that, mashed potatoes, frozen peas and lots of gravy,Moe had a roast chicken dinner for breakfast.

Not a fan of breakfast so I'm going to take the same thing to work for lunch.
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 4

@Ann_T– you can probably tell from my posts that I’m a “traditionalist” 😉 when it comes to breakfast food, but I’d eat your chicken and gravy and dressing any meal that it was offered to me.  It always looks so incredibly good. 

@Senior Sea Kayaker – both your breakfast and your snowy view look wonderful!

Well, we’ve all tested positive for COVID over the weekend at the Shook house.  We’re doing our best to stay fed and hydrated.  My breakfast this morning:

1-IMG_1395.jpg.f38e643a03d15a313c560745cac72812.jpg

It looked great and I needed to eat so I could take my medicine.  I ate about a third of it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

On 12/12/2022 at 10:37 AM, Ann_T said:
I showed Moe a roasted chicken on Facebook this morning and I commented that whenever I see a roast chicken I want a roast chicken dinner.
His response was he would eat that for breakfast.

I didn't have a whole chicken, but I did have bone in chicken breasts.
So, I made a simple version of a chicken dinner. I didn't have time to make dressing, but I had a box of Stove Top in the pantry.
1230318281_RoastChickenBreakfastDecember12th2022.thumb.jpg.fcecda5ced884876903241257b2eddd1.jpg

So along with that, mashed potatoes, frozen peas and lots of gravy,Moe had a roast chicken dinner for breakfast.

Not a fan of breakfast so I'm going to take the same thing to work for lunch.

I am always amazed by how much you get done in the morning while I am drinking tea, doing Wordle and trying to get to Genius in Spelling Bee

WOW  😋 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

264E9133-3D39-4FAF-8C02-9A3AD3CD8FE3.thumb.jpeg.a748878251f3d691bec10eaf487d854e.jpeg
Yesterday’s breakfast. Amazingly fresh supermarket eggs and bok choy sauteed in garlic and ginger. . 

j

• Like 4
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Lovely!    Nice amount of black pepper.    I'd have plopped the eggs on top of the bok choy, but I guess it all gets there eventually.

Yes, they would have simply fallen apart and the photograph would’ve failed to capture their freshness. 

My 2004 eG Blog