• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

D8F2C787-0C4E-43D0-BD2A-5B940945FB09.thumb.jpeg.dffff4a5450b7f740801f11778efbb3c.jpeg
So simple. So good. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Ann_T – your French toast is gorgeous!  I’m not seeing a recipe for it on your blog.  Would you mind giving a little lesson?  I know it starts with your bread, which I don’t have.  But I have access to some pretty good bakeries.  And that looks so fantastic, it would be worth a drive!

@liuzhou – I love the looks of those bao and dumplings.  Pork is my favorite filling!

@blue_dolphin – those breads are amazing.  Great crumb!  And I love the pepitas on them.

@Anna N – you are making some lovely eggs lately.  Gooey yolk and seemingly snot-free 😁

Breakfast lately has been just a Lidl croissant:

1-IMG_0998.thumb.jpg.1400cbb432ad2c67273acbb61dd647d7.jpg

I have to eat something because of medicine I take in the morning, but I just haven’t been hungry for anything lately.  Do Milk Duds and Snickers bars count as breakfast?  Because I’ve got a LOT of them 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Do Milk Duds and Snickers bars count as breakfast?  Because I’ve got a LOT of them 😉

They may not count as breakfast, but they are probably adequate to meet the need of taking medication with food.  Check with your doctor or pharmacist but when I have asked, I’ve been told a few crackers, a cookie or two, or even a glass of milk is usually enough.  

• Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – your French toast is gorgeous!  I’m not seeing a recipe for it on your blog.  Would you mind giving a little lesson?  I know it starts with your bread, which I don’t have.  But I have access to some pretty good bakeries.  And that looks so fantastic, it would be worth a drive!

@Kim Shook, no real recipe for French Toast.  I beat up 4 eggs with a little cream or milk and a pinch of salt.   Soak the bread in the egg mixture until  much of it is absorbed.  I use a fork to press down on the bread 

to make sure it is full of the egg mixture.  I want the bread fully saturated with egg.  I hate when French toast is only coated on the outside and not all the way through.

And then I slowly fry in on low heat in butter until golden brown and cooked all the way through.    Moe always has his with real maple syrup.  But I like mine topped with just butter and salt and pepper. 

1417594654_LeftoverSteakonSourdoughbaguetteNovember3rd2022.thumb.jpg.9da7a17a17a61290d9ef5ee87919808f.jpg

There was a piece of leftover beef tenderloin from Wednesday night so for breakfast yesterday  I sliced it thin and Moe had it on an open face sandwich on fresh baked sourdough baguette.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@Kim Shook, no real recipe for French Toast.  I beat up 4 eggs with a little cream or milk and a pinch of salt.   Soak the bread in the egg mixture until  much of it is absorbed.  I use a fork to press down on the bread 

to make sure it is full of the egg mixture.  I want the bread fully saturated with egg.  I hate when French toast is only coated on the outside and not all the way through.

I totally agree on getting the bread saturated. It requires bread with some substance so it doesn't fall apart (I can only dream of French toast made with your bread!)  

Barely dipped French toast is so disappointing!  

• Like 3

Thanks to @JoNorvelleWalker, I have a very happy husband this morning.

1714589088_ChickenCacciatoreforBreakfastNovember4th2022.thumb.jpg.ef482d58292f07203c8c3b08fac07976.jpg

I had intended to make the Chicken Cacciatore for dinner last night but that didn't happen so

I made it for Moe this morning.

Based on the happy moans I was hearing as he ate, this was definitely a big hit.    

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

2 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Thanks to @JoNorvelleWalker, I have a very happy husband this morning.

1714589088_ChickenCacciatoreforBreakfastNovember4th2022.thumb.jpg.ef482d58292f07203c8c3b08fac07976.jpg

I had intended to make the Chicken Cacciatore for dinner last night but that didn't happen so

I made it for Moe this morning.

Based on the happy moans I was hearing as he ate, this was definitely a big hit.    

I am so happy!  I finished the last of my leftovers last night.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

17 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am so happy!  I finished the last of my leftovers last night.

I can even beginning to tell you just how much Moe loved this.  Apparently I can make it as often as I would like.

I'm going to share your instructions on the blog.  The only thing I changed was to use chicken broth with the wine and deglazed with chicken broth.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Ann_Tand @JoNorvelleWalker I haven't eaten chicken cacciatore in years, but now I'm listening. Not that I plan to make it for breakfast, but I'm thinking ahead to when I have family coming over the December holidays. After visiting my daughter, her husband and two toddler twins last spring it really brought home to me how different it is to cook for 4-6 people than for two. At least this time around I'll be in my own kitchen, which will help no end. So point me in the direction of a good Chicken Cacciatore recipe that I can make in a big dutch oven and maybe even get leftovers out of it. My husband and son-in-law are chicken lovers and the twin girls eat more than you would think. Any one-pot dish that has protein and vegetables and can be eaten over spaghetti sounds like a winner. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I can even beginning to tell you just how much Moe loved this.  Apparently I can make it as often as I would like.

I'm going to share your instructions on the blog.  The only thing I changed was to use chicken broth with the wine and deglazed with chicken broth.

In the past I have tried deglazing with chicken broth but actually prefer with water (which is what the original recipe calls for).

On 11/4/2022 at 2:58 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In the past I have tried deglazing with chicken broth but actually prefer with water (which is what the original recipe calls for).

I've always deglazed with broth and or wine.  Even if water is what a recipe calls for.   Just a personal preference.   

• Like 1

ABFFCB94-3FB5-44C9-ACF6-04DFE9AC1030.thumb.jpeg.07f3f03391c97da03c90f8b62b4979ce.jpeg

I did not think this one through. It was inspired by a recipe from I Dream of Dinner. There is a section in the book called something like Emergency Egg Sandwiches.
First I cooked the onions, then pan-toasted the bun, and finally fried the egg. (All done in/on the A4 Box.) But of course, with the yolk so runny, the sandwich was pretty much impossible to eat. Should have realized this, broken the yolk and flipped the egg over. The recipe also called for some chilli crisp which I discovered I don’t have. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

ABFFCB94-3FB5-44C9-ACF6-04DFE9AC1030.thumb.jpeg.07f3f03391c97da03c90f8b62b4979ce.jpeg

I did not think this one through. It was inspired by a recipe from I Dream of Dinner. There is a section in the book called something like Emergency Egg Sandwiches.
First I cooked the onions, then pan-toasted the bun, and finally fried the egg. (All done in/on the A4 Box.) But of course, with the yolk so runny, the sandwich was pretty much impossible to eat. Should have realized this, broken the yolk and flipped the egg over. The recipe also called for some chilli crisp which I discovered I don’t have. 

I know you've said before that you often get kitchen toys, play with them a while and then pass them on. It looks as though the A4 Box Induction Cooker is a keeper for you? I keep being tempted....

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I know you've said before that you often get kitchen toys, play with them a while and then pass them on. It looks as though the A4 Box Induction Cooker is a keeper for you? I keep being tempted....

Yes, I am not prepared to give it up. It doesn’t get a lot of use these days, but then nothing does. If I could wish for it to have one more simple control it would be a timer. These days I like to know that things will shut off on their own. I suppose I should look into getting a timer switch or something. I think they are available.  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

36 minutes ago, Smithy said:

40% off deal at the moment...

• Haha 2

If y’all could just come here and make me breakfast, I’d eat every day!

Was out running errands Friday and picked up a blueberry muffin at Whole Foods for breakfast.  It was awfully good – lots of blueberries:

1-IMG_1041.thumb.jpg.d20e46dccbddfb60264305273dd2072c.jpg

I discovered these arancini at their hot bar:

1-IMG_1039.jpg.982c99495a40929ce397dbbecc3b7e42.jpg

1-IMG_1040.thumb.jpg.dda8dabff59371cd397589e727de72c2.jpg

I guess they count as the second course of breakfast.  They were lukewarm, so the cheese was not melty and the rice was a little mushy, but they tasted good.  I’m betting they were very good when they were fresh.  I can’t find these at any Italian place in Richmond, so I was hoping they would be great. 

• Like 6

On 10/29/2022 at 9:16 PM, Anna N said:

Not a thing, especially if you were able to make it. 
The filling for the little egg dumplings is cooked and then kept warm?

Here is a short video showing the technique of making the 蛋饺 (egg wrapped dumplings) in a ladle. She does form them into 'moneybags' instead of rolling them but the cooking process is the same.

https://youtu.be/Y0MTPhoubUg

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Here is a short video

Thank you. That is a very convenient gizmo she has to hold the ladle over the heat source. Were I as adept at using chopsticks! 

My 2004 eG Blog

9F5DF42C-6AD8-48A2-B005-4B99849B26BA.thumb.jpeg.b68a2e3cffc92d8a50fc3f300e7a71ed.jpeg Scrambled eggs with seasoned nori. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog