• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

@blue_dolphin, I think I have mentioned before that I'm not a breakfast person. But honestly, your breakfasts make me wish I was.  

So colourful and intersting.  I love your idea of the cauliflower and potato pancakes.  I would even serve those as a side for dinner. 

20746538_BreakfastOctober23rd2022.thumb.jpg.7333d9e552dcae7f9fd07b1e9599e0db.jpg

Moe's breakfast.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@blue_dolphinPotato and Cauliflower mash is a favorite. I add garlic, butter of course, sometimes creme fraiche or a little bit of chèvre. .. And although I don't often venture far from toast for breakfast, leftover mash is always a treat. I never thought of making pancakes with it, probably because there isn't usually enough left over, but that sounds excellent. Added flour? Egg? what else? A generous handful of chopped chives would be nice. What do you do for pancakes?

3 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@blue_dolphin, I think I have mentioned before that I'm not a breakfast person. But honestly, your breakfasts make me wish I was.  

So colourful and intersting.  I love your idea of the cauliflower and potato pancakes.  I would even serve those as a side for dinner. 

20746538_BreakfastOctober23rd2022.thumb.jpg.7333d9e552dcae7f9fd07b1e9599e0db.jpg

Moe's breakfast.  

And I would be delighted with Moe's breakfast any time of the day...maybe with a glass of wine, depending...😉

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

I made a batch of Little Green Dress yesterday and it was calling to me this morning ......

LGD and eggs are a match made in heaven!  

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

@blue_dolphinPotato and Cauliflower mash is a favorite. I add garlic, butter of course, sometimes creme fraiche or a little bit of chèvre. .. And although I don't often venture far from toast for breakfast, leftover mash is always a treat. I never thought of making pancakes with it, probably because there isn't usually enough left over, but that sounds excellent. Added flour? Egg? what else? A generous handful of chopped chives would be nice. What do you do for pancakes?

The original mash had a lot of scallions - white parts cooked with the potatoes and cauliflower and the greens added later.  I would have preferred leeks but using the scallions two ways was a good call. For a cup of mash, I added half an egg, a bit of diced country ham and a handful of grated parm to make four 1/4 cup pancakes.  Since the cauliflower made this wetter, some panko would have been a good idea, I just let them cook a bit longer. 

Today's breakfast sando:  thinly sliced and browned leberkaese and a fried egg on toasted sunflower seed sourdough rye with mustard:

B36E8B50-E1A5-4B71-83EA-25842D1D7BB2_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.afec26ad31ce7cac13a864b9e4e7067c.jpeg

Unlike some people around here who make their own, I bought a little dolphin-sized leberkaese loaf from the German sausage peeps at my local farmers market. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

@blue_dolphin – that French toast looks so good, I’m about to go rooting around in my freezer for frozen waffles.  And I finished dinner less than an hour ago!

Saturday morning I wasn’t really I wasn’t planning on having breakfast, but a couple of eggs semi-exploded in the IP, so I peeled them and added butter and S&P:

1-IMG_0907.jpg.798a5685471222a7f36f8c81928c1e12.jpg

Reminded me of my mom.  I was NOT a breakfast eater when I was a kid, but this was something she could usually lure me to the table with.    

Yesterday Jessica and I dropped by a new muffin bakery near us.  I got a 3 pack of mini muffins:

1-IMG_0926.jpg.e3e677a92bdf92e75cf8be2dd5052db0.jpg

Cranberry orange, chocolate, and cinnamon crumb cake. The cinnamon one was pretty good, but they were bit dry and not a lot of flavor.   Jessica got the almond cheesecake one:

1-IMG_0927.jpg.2a2b49e0688cab4fb9167873d73c1404.jpg

This one was much better – moist and more flavorful.  They also have bagels and sandwiches, so we’ll probably give them another try. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

718986541_LeftoverSteakHotSandwichOctober28th2022.thumb.jpg.b00b5925f2a9eca507110bcf0137d374.jpg

I made Moe a hot beef sandwich for breakfast this morning using leftover NY Strip.

Sliced on the Breville FP.

I cheated and used beef broth with a little Knorr Swiss Au Jus to make the gravy.

Simmered with a garlic clove and a sprig of rosemary.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Much as I envy the breakfast that @Ann_Tmade for Moe, I was more than happy with my poached egg. I have not had a poached egg in months. Somehow I lost the “recipe”. No matter what I did, I ended up with a lonely yolk and a mess of feathery white. And to add it to my misery, a pan that took forever to clean up.
So I bit the bullet and tried Julia’s way (prick a hole in the shell, cook, still in shell, in hot water for 10 seconds, and then break into gently simmering water).  It worked. Next time I might poach it just a bit longer. 

F115FB5B-C4C4-4821-B54F-A0DB041FA3F7.thumb.jpeg.09dc2a07a2e78fa4834e01e683e67b47.jpeg

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My bacon grease egg fried rice for start of day.  A big batch as I will be parceling it out later to others.  

The only fresh veg I had in house was Chinese celery.  So I stir fried/charred some dehydrated carrot shreds and onions along with the celery stalks to get the caramelized flavor, adding dried chives to the eggs and tore the celery leaves to add at the end to wilt down a bit.   Seasoning is XO brand thick soy, some Bragg's liquid aminos, sesame oil and white pepper.    Stove is a mess since bits go flying everywhere, but man, bacon grease really does something special to fried rice.

IMG_1067.JPG

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

So I bit the bullet and tried Julia’s way (prick a hole in the shell, cook, still in shell, in hot water for 10 seconds, and then break into gently simmering water).  It worked.

That's my go-to with older eggs and I keep a T-pin handy in the kitchen for the purpose.  Not that it does anything special but its size makes it less likely to go missing!

Today's breakfast was French toast along with Sautéed Persimmons with Crema from Amá

18F0AD8B-5C49-49B2-92CE-BD5C748AA77C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.879aa4465c2cedc14bfb580ef7001c24.jpeg

Header notes recommend the persimmons as a side for grilled meats.  Quite good. They are browned in butter, and seasoned with salt, pepper, lime juice and mint leaves. V

I used the crema sub from Nopalito (1 cup whole milk yogurt, 3t lime juice, 1/2 t salt). Not that crema is hard to find around here but I always have yogurt on hand and don't need another condiment in the fridge. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

That's my go-to with older eggs and I keep a T-pin handy in the kitchen for the purpose.  Not that it does anything special but its size makes it less likely to go missing!

Today's breakfast was French toast along with Sautéed Persimmons with Crema from Amá

18F0AD8B-5C49-49B2-92CE-BD5C748AA77C_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.879aa4465c2cedc14bfb580ef7001c24.jpeg

Header notes recommend the persimmons as a side for grilled meats.  Quite good. They are browned in butter, and seasoned with salt, pepper, lime juice and mint leaves. V

I used the crema sub from Nopalito (1 cup whole milk yogurt, 3t lime juice, 1/2 t salt). Not that crema is hard to find around here but I always have yogurt on hand and don't need another condiment in the fridge. 

And once again, your breakfast post had me eating French toast for lunch  😋

• Haha 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

Pork, egg and bread for breakfast. What 's wrong with that?

bfast.jpg

肉包 (ròu bāo) - Pork baozi and 蛋饺 (dàn jiǎo) - Pork dumplings with egg wrapper.

The danjiao are similar to jiaozi, but the wrapper is a tiny omelette (ya boo hiss to those show-offs with their one egg omelettes. These 5 dumplings used two eggs between them and there was some leftover! Half egg omelettes!)

They are made in a ladle held over the gas burner. It is filled with egg and briefly heated so that the egg in contact with the metal begins to set, then the rest of the egg is poured off to be used for the next one. When the wrapper is almost fully set, the filling is added and the wrapper folded. Flip the thing over to finish. The whole cook takes seconds.

danjiao2.jpg

Popular as a dim sum 点心 (diǎn xin) item round here. Or served in soup.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Pork, egg and bread for breakfast. What 's wrong with that?

Not a thing, especially if you were able to make it. 
The filling for the little egg dumplings is cooked and then kept warm?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not a thing, especially if you were able to make it. 
The filling for the little egg dumplings is cooked and then kept warm?

No. There is only about a teaspooon of filling in each dumpling. The pork is ground (actually chopped) to a  very fine paste and it cooks very quickly.

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Took one of the Jerusalem breads that I froze unbaked and baked it in the CSO on a stone:

925E00B6-8412-481A-9A81-2727D440D458_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ff799b62ebb068572c0b829299c4307f.jpeg

Worked well, though so did re-heating the baked ones in the CSO and that was much quicker so I'll go with that in the future.  

You may note that by this time, I was running out of both white sesame seeds AND black sesame seeds so these also got pepitas and Everything but the Bagel seasoning.  

And if that wasn't enough to confuse the poor bread, I topped it with a smear of French mustard and slices of fried Leberkaese.  

3B80DE64-4819-4F95-82F8-64FEF176161F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1523178d3de0346484e1bc08d738e741.jpeg

Edited by blue_dolphin
to correct autocorrect (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 2

Sometimes you are driven by guilt to eat your mistakes for breakfast!

916422AF-8AB4-4166-9E54-4BD69304F5D7.thumb.jpeg.f26bc67cc6159ba3763cec081aa6c03f.jpeg

Shopping online for groceries remains more of an adventure than I would wish. From scallions so skinny they might have been planted yesterday to baking potatoes so ginormous that each would serve four with leftovers, nary a grocery shopping goes by without a glitch. 
I ordered what I thought were frozen broccoli florettes. They would sit in the freezer until I was ready to add them to dinner, I thought. But what arrived was a rather tiny plastic bag containing tiny “fresh” broccoli florettes. I estimated their lifespan to be already closer to the end than the beginning. Most likely trimmed from whole broccoli stems to improve their optics. 
So breakfast was steamed broccoli with cheese. There are worse things.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

916422AF-8AB4-4166-9E54-4BD69304F5D7.thumb.jpeg.f26bc67cc6159ba3763cec081aa6c03f.jpeg

Shopping online for groceries remains more of an adventure than I would wish. From scallions so skinny they might have been planted yesterday to baking potatoes so ginormous that each would serve four with leftovers, nary a grocery shopping goes by without a glitch. 
I ordered what I thought were frozen broccoli florettes. They would sit in the freezer until I was ready to add them to dinner, I thought. But what arrived was a rather tiny plastic bag containing tiny “fresh” broccoli florettes. I estimated their lifespan to be already closer to the end than the beginning. Most likely trimmed from whole broccoli stems to improve their optics. 
So breakfast was steamed broccoli with cheese. There are worse things.

Nice save!!  Actually looks very tasty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

57 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Well, at least it was only a sourcing error and not a cooking error. The broccoli looks lovely and I always feel rather smug when I've managed to get a serving or two of vegetables into my breakfast - well done!  

I tried the Creamy Corn and Polenta Bake with Blue Cheese from Melissa Clark's Dinner in One. There's corn, cherry tomatoes, scallions, parsley, Parmesan, and gorgonzola are in the mix.  Chicken stock and a little milk are the liquids. 

0CBAB9BD-5871-45A6-9765-EEDA00275EFD_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ba23f9b610a8e5585c388636870877d5.jpeg

This was good. I'm glad I tried it.  I learned that I prefer polenta cooked simply and topped with something flavorful rather than having a bunch of stuff mixed in.  I'd take a bowl topped with a crumble of gorgonzola or a ladle of roasted cherry tomatoes over this casserole style dish. That said, cheesy polenta with a crispy crust isn't all bad. I ate it and enjoyed it but won't repeat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

I had 2 slices of toast for breakfast. The first was spread with butter and marmalade, then topped with a good grind of pepper and a tiny pinch of grey sea salt. Not pictured. IMG_20221102_105435.thumb.jpg.58214a8933cbcab3a8f1bf30853617d4.jpg

For the second slice, I splashed a little of the tadka from last night, sunflower oil in which I'd fried some curry leaves and cardamom. Prosciutto on top. So shoot me for my sins, but I'll die happy!

Edited by Kerala (log)
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Spicy Tomato White Beans with Sage, Pecorino and Garlicky Crostini from Dinner in One:

EEF5B30E-FA2B-49D3-B490-47DC408454FA_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7bdfc7f4b81e68baa66246f0f370d0fb.jpeg

Do I need a recipe for beans on toast?  No.

Am I glad I tried it?  Yes.

Three good things I'll remember... maybe 🙃 

The anchovy filet that gets hidden once the beans are spooned over top, only to surprise your tongue when you bite into that part of the crostini. 

The optional scoop of ricotta adds a nice counterpoint to the spicy beans.

Sage isn't my go-to herb with a spicy tomato sauce but it's very good here. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

@blue_dolphin, you really do come up with the most interesting combinations.  I would love your toast and beans, but minus the anchovies.  Although

I bet Moe would like it the way you served it.

842559444_ChiliandToastNovember2nd2022.thumb.jpg.951d6532ea8b483d47962062f804ce7e.jpg

Baked baguettes this morning and early enough to slice and toast for breakfast. 

Pulled the chili out of the freezer. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Maple french toast with some of last summer's foraged blackberries. I ended up with 14 med. Ziplock bags of blueberries and 8 of blackberries in the freezer so the berries are frequent breakfast additions (worth every mosquito bite and thorn puncture 😋).

DSCN0381.thumb.JPG.84ecc9c51c7fcddfb029f06ba908cb2c.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 4

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot