• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

This isn't my breakfast. A friend sent me the pictureand I thought it was interesting enough to share.

23104192__20221214092919.thumb.jpg.a866b825b1c9bc2e90ca7bf9651bd658.jpg

白粥 (bái zhōu), plain rice porridge/congee; 酸菜 (suān cài), pickled mustard greens, 牛乳包 (niú rǔ bāo). Apart from the last item, this is a fairly typical Chinese breakfast. Ignore the lemons; they weren't part of breakfast.

The 牛乳包 (niú rǔ bāo) are some sort of steamed bun containing a filling made from milk. I've never seen them so I've never eaten them so I can't say much more about that at this stage.  I suspect however, they are sweet. I'll ask later. My friend is a teacher and in class now.

I often eat congee and baozi buns for breakfast, but I stick to 肉包 (ròu bāo), pork buns.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The 牛乳包 (niú rǔ bāo) are some sort of steamed bun containing a filling made from milk. I've never seen them so I've never eaten them so I can't say much more about that at this stage.  I suspect however, they are sweet. I'll ask later.

Have spoken to my friend. She confirms the filling was sweet, but has no idea how it's made, either.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

spinach flavour wrap

Knowing how much you enjoy your food, I am going to make the assumption that these wraps differ in every respect from the ones I can get. Whether spinach, sun-dried tomato,  plain or other they all have the texture and flavour of slightly damp cardboard. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Knowing how much you enjoy your food, I am going to make the assumption that these wraps differ in every respect from the ones I can get. Whether spinach, sun-dried tomato,  plain or other they all have the texture and flavour of slightly damp cardboard. 

I know what you mean, which is why I usually make my own wraps. However, when I first came out the hospital, I didn't feel up to it so I bought these three.

wraps.thumb.jpg.d19d0bcd4780685d0696828bfad5bcbc.jpg

They are Malaysian. The 'original wraps' were a bit boring, but the other two are actually quite good. When I've used them all, I'll switch back to homemade, though.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I know what you mean, which is why I usually make my own wraps. However, when I first came out the hospital, I didn't feel up to it so I bought these three.

wraps.thumb.jpg.d19d0bcd4780685d0696828bfad5bcbc.jpg

They are Malaysian. The 'original wraps' were a bit boring, but the other two are actually quite good. When I'veused them all, I'll swit ch back to homemade, though.

OMG Mission is the stamdard tortilla brand in mainstream markets here in U.S. - based in Texas. . I did  not know their foreign markets. Here considered decent. I'll probably buy some at next store visit as I can't get to Mexican market- both flour and corn.. Here more about texture and flavored ones not hyped. Used for burritos, quesadillas and to wrap flavorful fillings.They need to be warmed.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Homemade Century Egg and Pork Congee

A cursory search did not answer my question. Did you ever explain how to make your own century eggs? I see there are various methods on line some of which seem contradictory. For example, one warns you not to use a glass container, and the other suggests that you do so. I don’t think I’m about to attempt to make them but I would still be curious to know your method if you have time and patience to share.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

A cursory search did not answer my question. Did you ever explain how to make your own century eggs? I see there are various methods on line some of which seem contradictory. For example, one warns you not to use a glass container, and the other suggests that you do so. I don’t think I’m about to attempt to make them but I would still be curious to know your method if you have time and patience to share.  

Oops. Sorry. Misunderstanding. My wording is ambiguous. It is the congee that is home made.

I've never made century eggs. It is a long winded process and given that every shop and market stall here that sells regular eggs also sells century eggs, tea eggs and salted eggs, why bother?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Oops. Sorry. Misunderstanding

No problem. It sent me down an interesting rabbit hole.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

20 hours ago, heidih said:

OMG Mission is the stamdard tortilla brand in mainstream markets here in U.S. - based in Texas. . I did  not know their foreign markets. Here considered decent. I'll probably buy some at next store visit as I can't get to Mexican market- both flour and corn.. Here more about texture and flavored ones not hyped. Used for burritos, quesadillas and to wrap flavorful fillings.They need to be warmed.

Just an alternative for flour tortillas if you have a Trader Joe's near by. Theirs are far superior to Mission brand, at least I think so.

On 12/13/2022 at 5:35 AM, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Today's snowstorm special: lettuce, tomato, black pudding, egg and pepper jack on toasted dark rye with tomato juice, blueberries and coffee.

DSCN0439.thumb.JPG.f9dbc128adbc4d67d72f147647362070.JPGDSCN0438.thumb.JPG.d1ca1519155e3dce3a3124e41c803c40.JPG

@Senior Sea Kayaker, it looks lovely -- the food and the scenery (especially because I didn't have to deal with that snow or the power failure). Please tell more about those blueberries and tomatoes. Blueberries commercially grown? They look too big for wild. Can you get them "fresh" at your grocery store, or were these frozen? What about those tomatoes and that lettuce? It all looks very summery, and a delicious lift from winter darkness.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy

Thanks for the kind words.

The blueberries are wild foraged berries frozen for use over the winter. Finished the season with 14 medium ziplocks with 10 remaining.

According to my BIL he foraged the area when he was a child (more like tasked to go pick 🙂).

DSCN0446.thumb.JPG.c7c101c39962eeab850412de2f078d3b.JPG

The tomatoes and lettuce are grocery store produce and are must haves in the house.

One thing about Christmas is this:

DSCN0442.thumb.JPG.2ef40b9110dd685debc68fb7cc9ab3ac.JPG

Panettone, in my opinion, make the best french toast. Served with sausage, blueberries and blackberries.

dscn0443.thumb.JPG.d1fd8c46fa5edff7725f559250daf574.JPG

And finally today's breakfast: We hosted my Mom's 89th birthday yesterday so leftovers with an egg on top.

DSCN0449.thumb.JPG.1ace35497f96e7964772b9b1533523fc.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

@Senior Sea Kayaker - I agree about the pannetone making excellent French toast.  We always buy a few loaves at Christmas and slice and freeze them for later in the year.

I have breakfast ennui.  Nothing is appealing - I have on hand bagels, bread, waffles, eggs, sausage, bacon, country ham - all my favorites, but nothing is calling my name.  This morning I had a gingerbread man that one of Mr. Kim's staff dropped off in a CARE package yesterday.  😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@Senior Sea Kayaker - I agree about the pannetone making excellent French toast.  We always buy a few loaves at Christmas and slice and freeze them for later in the year.

I have breakfast ennui.  Nothing is appealing - I have on hand bagels, bread, waffles, eggs, sausage, bacon, country ham - all my favorites, but nothing is calling my name.  This morning I had a gingerbread man that one of Mr. Kim's staff dropped off in a CARE package yesterday.  😁

It may not count as breakfast when served after sunset, but I made sous vide French toast today from almost the last of my week old boule.  The recipe is from this site:

https://stefangourmet.com/2014/09/30/french-toast-sous-vide/

I omitted the cinnamon and served with maple syrup.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It may not count as breakfast when served after sunset, but I made sous vide French toast today from almost the last of my week old boule.  The recipe is from this site:

https://stefangourmet.com/2014/09/30/french-toast-sous-vide/

I omitted the cinnamon and served with maple syrup.

I admire your ambition and would love to know how you enjoyed it. But I am always a little puzzled by French toast as a way to save stale bread.  Presumably, this is considered an economical move. But we have two slices of bread, one of the cheapest foods to make, and we then soak it in eggs, sugar, and milk, and fry it in butter before finally drowning it in expensive syrup. I can’t make the economics work. 😂

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I admire your ambition and would love to know how you enjoyed it. But I am always a little puzzled by French toast as a way to save stale bread.  Presumably, this is considered an economical move. But we have two slices of bread, one of the cheapest foods to make, and we then soak it in eggs, sugar, and milk, and fry it in butter before finally drowning it in expensive syrup. I can’t make the economics work. 😂

My labor is not worth much but a loaf of bread is a day's work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My labor is not worth much but a loaf of bread is a day's work.

But not really. It takes much time, but not much labour. Most of the work is done by the yeast. And if we are going to weigh in on the labour think of the labour involved in raising those chickens and those cows and harvesting that sugarcane and collecting that maple syrup. Still can’t make the math work.😂

By the way, how was the toast? 

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

But not really. It takes much time, but not much labour. Most of the work is done by the yeast. And if we are going to weigh in on the labour think of the labour involved in raising those chickens and those cows and harvesting that sugarcane and collecting that maple syrup. Still can’t make the math work.😂

By the way, how was the toast? 

The yeasts just sit around eating and making babies.  I'm the one who does the work.

My sous vide French toast turned out OK, though the final texture was more like a pancake.  If I had to choose I think I'd have preferred conventional French toast that has more texture.  However a clear advantage of the sous vide method is that the slices are Pasteurized and can be saved in the refrigerator until needed.  I shall trademark Instant Pain Perdu (TM).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I shall trademark Instant Pain Perdu (TM).

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Instant Pain Perdu (TM).

I shall watch out for it in the supermarkets. Oh wait… I’m not a fan of French toast. Unless we make it savory, which I have done in the past.

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I shall watch out for it in the supermarkets. Oh wait… I’m not a fan of French toast. Unless we make it savory, which I have done in the past.

While I'd probably prefer mine with maple syrup, how do you make it savory?