• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

On 10/15/2022 at 10:26 AM, blue_dolphin said:

@Ann_T, I'm very impressed at the slicing job on the roast!  Of course the bread and perfectly cooked beef are swoon-worthy, as is that bowl of chili!

Musabaha (warm chickpeas with green chilli sauce and toasted pita) from Falastin

116E333C-E3AB-484E-89DF-6026495A0FB3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6a8d337d99cb96ed26474d4d34e687da.jpeg

Kind of a pre-blender hummus. Nice contrasts between the chickpeas, creamy tahini sauce, bright, acidic green sauce and toasted pita. 

Pulling Falastin off the shelf now!.  

• Like 1

BE4FC931-C49C-4278-8BF9-30F455E43997.thumb.jpeg.62eb47208722fb20d42a2d8f8fdc1900.jpegPepper and onion stuffed omelette. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When in doubt – – don’t. Another emergency egg sandwich from I Dream of Dinner.  I had serious doubts (and only frozen spinach), but…

59E7E591-C53E-4B82-BB89-620348063BE6.thumb.jpeg.dde5292b4fea6cf5bad417b2ca583be8.jpegPan-toasted bun, wilted spinach, fried egg, and pickled ginger. Nope!

Love all the ingredients, but not together. 

Would the ketchup and hot sauce have made it better? Wilted spinach? Don’t think so.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

wow.

drunk.jpeg.fb771517736dbbaa413dfe047e788730.jpeg

you comments on ketchup I found interesting .

Im not a big ketchup person :

on a burger , Id prefer a few slices of tomato

for Fries , Id prefer Mayo

Ketchup is very fine for its strengths 

can't imagine it fixing something 

needing minimal  or more repair.

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

wow.

drunk.jpeg.fb771517736dbbaa413dfe047e788730.jpeg

you comments on ketchup I found interesting .

Im not a big ketchup person :

on a burger , Id prefer a few slices of tomato

for Fries , Id prefer Mayo

Ketchup is very fine for its strengths 

can't imagine it fixing something 

needing minimal  or more repair.

I only mention it because the original egg sandwich in the book uses ketchup and hot sauce. I assumed they were meant to be used in any of the variations.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.a01fa3337c5dd48bfd2ee0a1193174fb.jpeg

French toast - Something I haven't made in years, and certainly not ever on the baking steel. But it was good.  Pain D'Avignon brioche loaf I had a half of in the freezer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3FCCBDA9-8FB8-4140-AB25-F28CD9A76F9D.thumb.jpeg.89adcaf06b4ce1cb275085a6581cab87.jpegCheese toasties. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N – cheese toasties!  They fix anything 😍

A few recent breakfasts - onion bagel from a new bakery near us:

1-IMG_1115.jpg.0b98571f328ac47fe30567b7cfb2b6f1.jpg

I added the cream cheese and bacon at home.  I posted back in October when we tried their muffins and weren’t impressed.  Still aren’t.  The bagel seemed stale.  Too bad because they are very close to us. 

We went to Charlottesville recently and picked up a lot of apples at the orchard near Monticello.  Breakfast the day after that was a couple of apple cider doughnuts from our trip to the apple orchard:

1-IMG_1095.thumb.jpg.f5d26ff729de5d8c75871384347f5f7c.jpg

Yesterdaay’s breakfast was boring:

1-IMG_1136.jpg.c46c0e3c07e5a0e6186c8e3277852193.jpg

Sausage on a roll.  I was feeling lazy.

Today was somewhat better (more butter, at least 😁😞

1-IMG_1145.jpg.18be1abcfa94138eee7faa42a99b19c7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Breakfast wrap: ww tortilla, herbed eggs, chorizo, mushrooms, aged cheddar and spinach. Tomato and a clementine on the side.

The clementines were the first appearance, and my first purchase this year, of 2 Kg. (5 lb.) cases at the grocer. Reminds me of how excited my brothers and I, when children, would get when they would show up around Christmas

DSCN0408.thumb.JPG.c0fb07e097c56ef8fd3644303f51e194.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

8 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Breakfast wrap: ww tortilla, herbed eggs, chorizo, mushrooms, aged cheddar and spinach. Tomato and a clementine on the side.

The clementines were the first appearance, and my first purchase this year, of 2 Kg. (5 lb.) cases at the grocer. Reminds me of how excited my brothers and I, when children, would get when they would show up around Christmas

DSCN0408.thumb.JPG.c0fb07e097c56ef8fd3644303f51e194.JPG

When I was a kid in the 60's, we called them Japanese oranges and they came in a wooden crate. Each orange was wrapped in green tissue papaer. We only had one box a year, shortly before Christmas. The wooden crates were always re-purposed. A step stool for the bathroom sink, lego storage, dog bone container...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

When I was a kid in the 60's, we called them Japanese oranges and they came in a wooden crate. Each orange was wrapped in green tissue papaer. We only had one box a year, shortly before Christmas. The wooden crates were always re-purposed. A step stool for the bathroom sink, lego storage, dog bone container...

We called them tangerines and my brothers and I would find some use for the wooden crates. 

• Like 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

This is based on the I Dream of Dinner recipe for Crispy Potato, Egg & Cheese Tacos. The header note just says, "So crisp, you could even skip the tortilla," so I did.

19A52CF4-2849-4C9F-A4A7-3DED230AFE97_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6e324a6c2badf9e683d2121b514967bd.jpeg

The recipe calls for grated russet potato and Cheddar cheese.  I used yellow potato, grated medium rather than large, squeezed out some moisture in a paper towel, and a mix of grated Gruyere and Red Leicester.  Added hot sauce after the photo. 

Probably the quickest possible breakfast potato & egg combo I can imagine. I would definitely do this again. 

On 11/13/2022 at 10:33 AM, Anna N said:

When in doubt – – don’t. Another emergency egg sandwich from I Dream of Dinner.  I had serious doubts (and only frozen spinach), but…

59E7E591-C53E-4B82-BB89-620348063BE6.thumb.jpeg.dde5292b4fea6cf5bad417b2ca583be8.jpegPan-toasted bun, wilted spinach, fried egg, and pickled ginger. Nope!

Love all the ingredients, but not together. 

Would the ketchup and hot sauce have made it better? Wilted spinach? Don’t think so.

@Anna N, I'm glad you tried that one, because now I don't need to.  I couldn't quite imagine those ingredients doing much for each other but thought maybe there was some magic I was missing!  

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add comment (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 3

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

This is based on the I Dream of Dinner recipe for Crispy Potato, Egg & Cheese Tacos. The header note just says, "So crisp, you could even skip the tortilla," so I did.

19A52CF4-2849-4C9F-A4A7-3DED230AFE97_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.6e324a6c2badf9e683d2121b514967bd.jpeg

The recipe calls for grated russet potato and Cheddar cheese.  I used yellow potato, grated medium rather than large, squeezed out some moisture in a paper towel, and a mix of grated Gruyere and Red Leicester.  Added hot sauce after the photo. 

Probably the quickest possible breakfast potato & egg combo I can imagine. I would definitely do this again. 

@Anna N, I'm glad you tried that one, because now I don't need to.  I couldn't quite imagine those ingredients doing much for each other but thought maybe there was some magic I was missing!  

Oh my, that looks good.

I guess I should have added I had 2 eggs over medium with spinach, onions, and mushrooms

Edited by billyhill
add information (log)
  • Like 3

Our house-sitter gave us a jar of her homemade, home-smoked maple syrup. Today I made French Toast for the purpose.

20221119_103549.jpg

My, oh my. We aren't normally big breakfast eaters, but this could make converts of us both. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 11/17/2022 at 3:42 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Rancho Gordo's black caviar lentils with a poached egg

A10F300C-A625-4520-9A87-5EA7CC31790E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.34b8405c1182a0849e64f484f19183b0.jpeg

The source of the lentil recipe may be unexpected (Dr. Jen Gunter, author of The Vagina Bible and The Menopause Manifesto) but it's very good and I think it's worth a read even if you are not a lentil lover. 

I follow her on Twitter, and own both of her books. I'm differently equipped, so to speak, but was interested on my own account (because most of the people I care about in this world are female), and also wanted them on the shelf for daughter, stepdaughters, granddaughters, etc.

I remember the lentil binge, and her pleased surprise in the outcome. :)

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

3 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Breakfast was a bit of a throw together this morning.

Leftover spicy wonton filling, egg, aged cheddar, tomato and lettuce on a toasted ciabatta roll with an orange.

Sloppy looking but tasted good.

DSCN0410.thumb.JPG.2a5b95e7910b7201e9a7f83f8d53a551.JPG

When the stars align... You couldn't plan that, but I would definitely bite into that!

• Like 1