• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

20 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

While I'd probably prefer mine with maple syrup, how do you make it savory?

This was one version. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

While I'd probably prefer mine with maple syrup, how do you make it savory?

Crispy Salt and Pepper French Toast

Savory Cheese-Crusted French Toast With Garlic and Parmesan Recipe

I've made a few savory versions of stuffed French toast with spinach & mushrooms or ham & cheese.  

@shain shared an interesting one with green Thai curry paste  here.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

Oh wait… I’m not a fan of French toast. Unless we make it savory, which I have done in the past.

Moe loves his drenched in maple syrup.  But the only way I will French Toast is with butter and salt and pepper. 

156985670_BurgerandroastedpotatoesDecember18th20221.thumb.jpg.8a2ec92fec987fc1a5c951654b3b50ef.jpg

I made Moe a burger for breakfast yesterday with roasted potatoes.  

1550490261_PoachedEggsDecember19th2022.thumb.jpg.a4fe221ecb43b1af21c7b80380479b9d.jpg

And this morning he had poached eggs.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 6

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

Unless we make it savory, which I have done in the past.

I've only ever had savoury French toast. Didn't know there was any other kind until recently.

Never had maple syrup in my life.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Sad 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

16 hours ago, Anna N said:

I admire your ambition and would love to know how you enjoyed it. But I am always a little puzzled by French toast as a way to save stale bread.  Presumably, this is considered an economical move. But we have two slices of bread, one of the cheapest foods to make, and we then soak it in eggs, sugar, and milk, and fry it in butter before finally drowning it in expensive syrup. I can’t make the economics work. 😂

Quite right!    And I add a splash of Grand Marnier to the custard mix.    😆

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

19 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Crispy Salt and Pepper French Toast

Savory Cheese-Crusted French Toast With Garlic and Parmesan Recipe

I've made a few savory versions of stuffed French toast with spinach & mushrooms or ham & cheese.  

@shain shared an interesting one with green Thai curry paste  here.

Don't forget the Monte Cristo sandwich.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 1

eGullet member #80.

27 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Chili for supper last night -> obligatory cornbread -> cornbread with buttermilk for breakfast.    A lovely, comforting bowl.

2119180531_ScreenShot2022-12-19at7_16_28AM.thumb.png.dc77a9c1b27dd9c7b1fd007f262c34cc.png

I'd love some leftover chili for breakfast!  Not so sure about soggy cornbread but would love to know more.  Is it all warmed up like a bowl of grits or is the buttermilk at fridge temp?

8 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'd love some leftover chili for breakfast!  Not so sure about soggy cornbread but would love to know more.  Is it all warmed up like a bowl of grits or is the buttermilk at fridge temp?

This was cold.    There is textural interest with soft interior countered with crisp crusty parts.    I usually like this on a hot morning in the country, but needs must and it was on hand on a cold city morning.    Still delicious.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Chili for supper last night -> obligatory cornbread -> cornbread with buttermilk for breakfast.    A lovely, comforting bowl.

2119180531_ScreenShot2022-12-19at7_16_28AM.thumb.png.dc77a9c1b27dd9c7b1fd007f262c34cc.png

Never tried it but I think I remember the combo from both Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House on the Prairie" books and Edna Mae Lewis - The Taste of Country Cooking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Don't forget the Monte Cristo sandwich.

OK I’ve had a number of Monte Cristo sandwiches, but none that make me shudder quite like those described in this link. 

Monte Cristo sandwich.

Two slices of good bread, buttered

Some sliced ham.

Some grated Gruyere.

Make a sandwich in the normal fashion, adding a slick of decent mustard if you choose, or even some mayo if you choose. 
Whisk two eggs until the whites and the yolks are well combined. Dip sandwich in egg and fry in butter over medium heat, turning once, until golden on both sides. Please stop there.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

OK I’ve had a number of Monte Cristo sandwiches, but none that make me shudder quite like those described in this link. 

Monte Cristo sandwich.

Some sliced ham.

Some grated Gruyere.

Make a sandwich in the normal fashion, adding a slick of decent mustard if you choose, or even some mayo if you choose. 
Whisk two eggs until the whites and the yolks are well combined. Dip sandwich in egg and fry in butter over medium heat, turning once, until golden on both sides. Please stop there.

My experiences were mostly with Blum's in San Francisco.   They did serve it quartered with a light shower of powdered sugar but, thankfully, no raspberry jam.   I remember them also as barfood at Omar Khayyham.    

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

C54CCAFC-FD99-4F07-B8E2-0B7F56E9D090.thumb.jpeg.79525bf98ae3af0208ff8adcc03d6018.jpeg

Scrambled eggs with a side of sautéed peppers. The pan was much too hot so I over cooked the eggs. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Tomato soup and grilled cheese

CD8462D8-AB92-45DE-B404-C00B3F278918_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9f2605d6572f34886572ea0ac0a1722b.jpeg

The soup is the Creamy Tomato Soup (No Cream) from I Dream of Dinner. Instead of cream, tahini is stirred in at the end. Perhaps it was the canned tomatoes I used but the tahini wasn't enough to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.  Also more garlicky than I like for a tomato soup.  I ended up adding milk, which helped with the acidity.  I might repeat with less garlic or not.  

DFEE23BC-B5BF-494F-964F-9471AA9032D2_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f4ed28655e99575da029eb1f81c932e2.jpeg

The grilled cheese with Brussels sprouts and apple was something my cousin told me her daughter made. Sounded similar to this. It was good. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

On 12/19/2022 at 3:56 PM, Anna N said:

Monte Cristo sandwich.

Some sliced ham.

Some grated Gruyere.

What was it that bothered you about the sandwich?  The jam?  I love the jam part - makes a nice counterbalance to the savoury of the sandwich.  I like it made with fig jam on the inside, too!  

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

What was it that bothered you about the sandwich?  The jam?  I love the jam part - makes a nice counterbalance to the savoury of the sandwich.  I like it made with fig jam on the inside, too!  

I am quite OK with other people preferring different preparations. 
But you ask me what is wrong:

Turkey

Provolone

Jam.

Powdered sugar

(and the writer says she grills the sandwich to reduce the mess, but in fact, she fries it). 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Pardon my poor presentation.  This is a small pile of tater tots cooked in a waffle iron then topped with a fried duck egg.

FF5CEA11-820F-489E-B8FC-6170202A3956_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3e16da76e30c30e26f3731ea77c52d1e.jpeg

Cooking the tots in the waffle iron is an excellent idea because you get lots of crispy bits. It does, however, require that the tots be at least partially thawed so they can be properly squished. 

I was thinking it would be a fun latke substitute and for one person, it kind of is.  Should have used more appropriate latke toppings but the duck eggs were calling....quacking? 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

On 12/23/2022 at 10:14 PM, blue_dolphin said:

This is a small pile of tater tots cooked in a waffle iron

Please elaborate … you cook the (frozen) tater tots in a (Belgium-style) waffle iron ? For how long ?

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Please elaborate … you cook the (frozen) tater tots in a (Belgium-style) waffle iron ? For how long ?

Pretty much.  According to this, you're supposed to let them thaw a bit so they can properly be squished into the recesses of the waffle iron.  My waffle iron isn't a Belgium-style, its recesses are more shallow but it should work with any kind. I have the small Cuisinart that's shown in that link.  I only used about 10 tots, which didn't fill up the space so I just arranged them in a single layer in the middle.  I forgot to set a timer but I'd say it took about 5 minutes, I used the same setting I usually use for waffles and they came out very nice and crispy.  I want to try again to see if I can get some smaller, more latke-sized pieces.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I want to try again to see if I can get some smaller, more latke-sized pieces.  

I wonder what would happen if you tried this with frozen hashbrown patties. I am thinking of the ones like those served at McDonald’s.

D57A861F-405D-4BFE-BFE8-8270C51A9B6F.thumb.jpeg.1b517957031951dea7cab38da9fc542b.jpeg

Edited by Anna N
To add photo. (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog