Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?


Kim Shook
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 9/9/2021 at 11:08 AM, CentralMA said:

Stopped into an Indian market yesterday, these were $1.99US. All of their pricing on other items is good, I'm expecting this is one of the better pricing around.

 

On 9/9/2021 at 10:59 AM, liuzhou said:

 

What price? Those cost me the equivalent of $1.50 USD per can. They are often sold as loss leaders in the UK and you can pick them up for next to nothing.

 

Those are both good prices. For me, it's $2.50-ish on a good day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Vapre said:

 

Those are both good prices. For me, it's $2.50-ish on a good day.

 

In the UK, they are less than the equivalent of $0.90 USD. Tesco UK is advertising them at 87 cents a standard 415g can today.

Edited by liuzhou
correction. my mathematicssucks. (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since this discussion piqued my curiosity, I looked at my local supermarket (Sobeys) a couple of days ago. Regular price here is $1.50 a can (CDN), and Sobeys is seldom a price leader so they're likely cheaper elsewhere. IIRC they go on sale periodically for .99 or a bit less.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, liuzhou said:

 

In the UK, they are less than the equivalent of $0.90 USD. Tesco UK is advertising them at 87 cents a standard 415g can today.

 

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

Since this discussion piqued my curiosity, I looked at my local supermarket (Sobeys) a couple of days ago. Regular price here is $1.50 a can (CDN), and Sobeys is seldom a price leader so they're likely cheaper elsewhere. IIRC they go on sale periodically for .99 or a bit less.

Y’all are killing me with these prices.

 

anybody tried to make them from scratch at home?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Vapre said:

 

Y’all are killing me with these prices.

 

anybody tried to make them from scratch at home?

LOL That's why I had to look up the price of store-bought. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, chromedome said:

LOL That's why I had to look up the price of store-bought. :)

Best part of opening up a can of Heinz Beans is I know exactly what I'm going to get.

 

My own cooking the beans, not so much.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might not consider this fun stuff, but I've been looking for these for a long time and I'm going to have fun using them.

 

ct.thumb.jpg.aa55f49568b155733a47368809dc4dda.jpg

 

Yes, I had similar implements back in London, but just found them here in China. All I need now is some crustaceans to torture.

 

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

You might not consider this fun stuff, but I've been looking for these for a long time and I'm going to have fun using them.

 

ct.thumb.jpg.aa55f49568b155733a47368809dc4dda.jpg

 

Yes, I had similar implements back in London, but just found them here in China. All I need now is some crustaceans to torture.

 


And I thought for a second thats the famous Chinese equipment set for removing earwax …

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I decided to buy these "Double-layer thick canvas gloves lined with 24-wire protection". I really only wanted one glove, but the minimum order was for three pairs. But they were cheap, so I bit.

 

Gloves.thumb.jpg.0e224326073023337f0fce6d11d3aef0.jpg

 

I only ever use these types of glove when shucking oysters. And I only need one to hold the oyster while using my oyster knife in my ungloved right hand. I really enjoy shucking!

 

Somehow I convinced myself that I had ordered three gloves rather than pairs, so when the delivery came yesterday I was momentarily surprised to find six!

 

Duh!

 

Brain fart!

 

I usually buy these wild oysters in boxes of 20 - 25 depending on size. They cost me between ¥3.2 and ¥4 per oyster; that's $0.50 to $0.62 USD per oyster.

 

1468465571_wildoysters1.thumb.jpg.de4ad6d50cb86df53df565403df5ec14.jpg

 

767662592_oystersunshucked.thumb.jpg.03af646a4769f9f9b4e0075f852c34d3.jpg

 

142259506_oystersonice.thumb.jpg.da053639da246a58301c33a1348820b1.jpg

 

If anyone needs some of said gloves, just drop in next time you are passing and pick one up. Or even a pair!

 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I decided to buy these "Double-layer thick canvas gloves lined with 24-wire protection". I really only wanted one glove, but the minimum order was for three pairs. But they were cheap, so I bit.

 

Gloves.thumb.jpg.0e224326073023337f0fce6d11d3aef0.jpg

 

I only ever use these types of glove when shucking oysters. And I only need one to hold the oyster while using my oyster knife in my ungloved right hand. I really enjoy shucking!

 

Somehow I convinced myself that I had ordered three gloves rather than pairs, so when the delivery came yesterday I was momentarily surprised to find six!

 

Duh!

 

Brain fart!

 

I usually buy these wild oysters in boxes of 20 - 25 depending on size. They cost me between ¥3.2 and ¥4 per oyster; that's $0.50 to $0.62 USD per oyster.

 

1468465571_wildoysters1.thumb.jpg.de4ad6d50cb86df53df565403df5ec14.jpg

 

767662592_oystersunshucked.thumb.jpg.03af646a4769f9f9b4e0075f852c34d3.jpg

 

142259506_oystersonice.thumb.jpg.da053639da246a58301c33a1348820b1.jpg

 

If anyone needs some of said gloves, just drop in next time you are passing and pick one up. Or even a pair!

 

Those look like fantastic oysters. What do the Chinese usually serve them with? The French have mignonette, the US (and UK?) have cocktail sauce, the Thai have nam jim seafood.... I have no idea what the Chinee3 do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, KennethT said:

What do the Chinese usually serve them with?

 

Well, for a start, they never serve them raw. I have attempted several times to get oyster stalls in the street and in restaurants to bring me some and they point blank refuse to sell me them. They are convinced I will drop dead immediately if I eat one and that they'll get blamed. Only one has ever obliged me and he was very hesitant. This guy.

 

148692563_LaibinOysterMan.thumb.jpg.092c43cfa4954d5cc46a80ada70ba9a7.jpg

 

His sign 湛江生蚝 (zhàn jiāng shēng háo) translates as "Zhanjiang Oysters", Zhanjiang being a city/prefecture in the south-west of Guangdong Province and on the Tonkin Gulf. I was with three young students I know from the university behind him. One of them bravely agreed to try one after she saw me eat a few and remain alive. She was clearly very nervous, though. Her friends weren't going there, at all!

 

What the guy sells is grilled oysters. This is the most common preparation. The oysters are grilled over charcoal and drenched in a sauce of minced garlic and served. They are also served this way in more formal restaurants. I can eat those, but much prefer them au naturel.

 

IMG_9245.thumb.jpg.13098c622fc21dd2662bdb9df7451e70.jpg

 

In recent years, I've also seen these monstrosities below in a couple of places. Restaurants rather then street stalls.

 

IMG_9251.thumb.jpg.da663fcf33578c2dff190e5d8f3909d7.jpg

 

They are again grilled but finished off with a Chinese version of American cheese melted over them! Disgusting. The particular example above was in a restaurant in Guangzhou, but I've seen them here  in Liuzhou, too.

So, I very seldom eat oysters other than at home. Always raw and usually just with some lemon juice. Soy sauce with citrus (ponzu) works well, too, I find.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gorgeous oysters.  I've tried again and again to eat them raw.  Growing up on the Maryland/Virginia eastern shore I was shamed into it multiple times.  When I was a teenager my parents bought a vacation home on Chincoteague Island, famous for their salty oysters.  I tried them over and over.  I finally gave up and accepted that I just couldn't take the texture.  I adore them steamed, fried, grilled, roasted, etc., though!  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

These arrived this morning, Great fun for freaking people out! Millipedes!

 

can.thumb.jpg.c10045f0c2a99e9c6dc52a8c266c4089.jpg

 

Except, they aren't millipedes at all! They are a type of small fish in the anchovy family and similar in usage. Great unami.

 

fish.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 9:32 AM, Vapre said:

 

Y’all are killing me with these prices.

 

anybody tried to make them from scratch at home?

 

Cook navy beans. Drain. Make a sauce of ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, molasses and Worcestershire sauce; I throw in a little garlic and onion powder. Stir beans into sauce (or sauce into beans, as you prefer. Top with diced raw bacon. Bake.

 

Sorry I don't have a more specific recipe. I'd guess for a half-pound of beans, it would be a half-cup of ketchup, 2 tbsp mustard (the prepared kind, not powder), 3 tbsp each of brown sugar and molasses, maybe a tbsp of Worcestershire. Several healthy shakes of both garlic and onion powder. Maybe four slices of bacon.

  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 7:32 AM, Vapre said:

Y’all are killing me with these prices.

 

anybody tried to make them from scratch at home?

 

I've made this copycat recipe using dried beans to use in a recipe that called for Heinz beans.  They seem fine to me but I'm not an authority. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

 

I've made this copycat recipe using dried beans to use in a recipe that called for Heinz beans.  They seem fine to me but I'm not an authority. 

Thanks!  I need to try this.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2021 at 2:53 PM, blue_dolphin said:

 

I've made this copycat recipe using dried beans to use in a recipe that called for Heinz beans.  They seem fine to me but I'm not an authority. 

This worked pretty well, definitely got me in the ballpark. Thanks! I upped the vinegar a bit and the tomato products as well.

Edited by Vapre (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A while back I bought an off-brand vacuum sealer that I was very happy with - until I ran out of the roll of bag material. I had plenty of FoodSaver bags and rolls and so I grabbed one of them. The sealer wouldn't seal them. FoodSaver has thicker sides.  So ...

 

Santa came a bit early this year and I purchased this:

 

684717996_VacuumSealer.thumb.jpg.acb68d194bac346e513cd5c1dcc76cb2.jpg

 

I'm happy with it. Tonight's pork chops are in a sous vide bath.  I've put some boneless beef short ribs in another back. When the pork is done I'll bring the temperature down in on my circulator and let them go for at least 16 hours.

  • Like 9

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today is 11 - 11, the anniversary of the end of WW1 but in China it is something very different. Two things very different. First it is "Singles Day", a recently invented celebration of being single (i.e 1 1 1 1 1), a sort of rIposte to Valentine's Day and the Chinese equivalent, both of which most Chinese couples observe. Even more recently, it has become on-line shopping day. Prices are slashed and hundreds of millions of deliveries are made today and the few days either side.

 

My haul was nearly all food related.

 

Pride of place goes to my new granite mortar and pestle. I have eight already, but this set took my fancy.

 

mp1.thumb.jpg.0430c36469e1ab578fdcbf3b861d20e2.jpg

 

The others included some caviar, a refill of Manchego cheese, and some Siberian goose liver sausages from Heilongjiang, China's northernmost province. The sausages are a new thing to me, but remain untested yet. Probably for breakfast tomorow. (See update).

 

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/11/2021 at 4:03 AM, liuzhou said:

Pride of place goes to my new granite mortar and pestle. I have eight already, but this set took my fancy.

 

mp1.thumb.jpg.0430c36469e1ab578fdcbf3b861d20e2.jpg

 

I can see why! That set is beautiful. How large are they?

  • Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...