• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

I wasn't delighted with these whole grain seeded crisps from Trader Joes which I'd purchased after tasting and thinking it would help with my attempt to incorporate more whole grains. However, today I treated them more like a cracker. Breaking them up and generously dipping into guacamole was SO good. Better than tortilla chips which can overshadow the delicate sweetness of avocado. These guys are complimentary. Guac was simple: perfectly ripe avocado, garlic powder, salt & pepper, and Jalapeno Tabasco. I know - garlic powder! - but my first grade "Harriet the Spy tomato sandwich" was avocado and garlic powder so it is a positive taste memory.

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

• Like 4

@chefmd, will definitely be going back then . Thanks for the recommendation.:D There was also a vanilla caramel, and a mixed berry and one other... 

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

Found these this morning in my local supermarket.

yam3.thumb.jpg.045bd4195be4f486927b2a4b61e13d5f.jpg

Yam chips, but possibly not what you or are I would call yam.  They are 山药薄片 shān yào bó piàn. 山药 shān yào is Chinese Yam (Dioscorea polystachya) .

They come in four flavours. Seaweed, which I bought; Tomato, Barbecue and Maotai.

yam2.thumb.jpg.33a10ee50be312c113bfd0d0d86f7a53.jpg

yam1.thumb.jpg.5403d43c430deea108015939cd381b56.jpg

They were OK, but I couldn't detect any seaweed flavour.

• Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 11/18/2017 at 12:59 PM, Anna N said:

Some people snack on Oreos. Some people snack on Ben & Jerry’s but I open my refrigerator just now having a bad case of the munchies and spotted the parsnips. :DD3F39FAE-07D0-48B9-9D90-24C154DD427D.thumb.jpeg.8edb8e8459880a95041d25112ebd2c50.jpeg

Perfect. 

I love parsnips, and those look delicious. Are they roasted, or how did you cook them?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Orbit said:

I love parsnips, and those look delicious. Are they roasted, or how did you cook them?

Simply tossed in some oil, seasoned probably with just salt and pepper and roasted.  They are also good seasoned with curry powder/Garam masala. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

While reading eGullet this afternoon I am eating Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies. Mmmm...:x xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Discovered Bleu Cheese stuffed olives recently. It took awhile to part with $6 for a dinky jar of them, but I was starving and needed a Keto friendly boost of salt and yum.  They did not disappoint. 

IMG_2392.JPG

• Like 5

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

10 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

Discovered Bleu Cheese stuffed olives recently. It took awhile to part with $6 for a dinky jar of them, but I was starving and needed a Keto friendly boost of salt and yum.  They did not disappoint. 

IMG_2392.JPG

I love blue cheese stuffed olives as a snack and also in a very occasional martini.  I stuff them myself.  Buying the largest olives I can find and using whatever blue chees that I fancy at the moment.  My blue cheese is probably much better than what is used in jarred olives.  And cheaper too :).  Room temp cheese is very easy to get into olives with your fingers, no need for special gadgets.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

Speaking of olives, for Friday happy hour, I mixed up the Crushed Olives with Almonds, Celery & Parmesan from Smitten Kitchen Every Day and served it with some crusty bread.

5ab597e10aa14_IMG_7432(1).thumb.jpg.ea52ab98793c01d226575e079622ec01.jpg

And I made a Garden Gin & Tonic with Cucumber, Lime & Mint from the same book. I used a local gin that I enjoy in other cocktails but I prefer something very juniper-forward in a G&T.  I recommend the gin, but just not in a G&T.  Still, I managed to choke it down xD

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That Valrhona 71 Le Noir is my go-to snacking bar and definitely my favorite plain bar. Trader Joe's price is unbeatable, especially given the quality of the chocolate. Generally I am not a big snacker when on my laptop, as I am often lounging on a favored couch, and I don't want the responsibility of getting food stains on it. 

7 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

That Valrhona 71 Le Noir is my go-to snacking bar and definitely my favorite plain bar. Trader Joe's price is unbeatable, especially given the quality of the chocolate. Generally I am not a big snacker when on my laptop, as I am often lounging on a favored couch, and I don't want the responsibility of getting food stains on it. 

I have a little Logitech wireless keyboard/touchpad on the laptop the grandkids use, for that exact reason. I'd rather they mucked up a $30-$40 keyboard than the HP ProBook itself. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

98EA3F37-500F-4384-A608-450DD8657EB6.thumb.jpeg.9692407c14142f08bcdf30b20b11d0d6.jpeg

Duck breast fillet that “fell off” while I was preparing the breast. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog