• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Anna N

Amazon buys Whole Foods

Anna N   
3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Wow.

That was my immediate response.   There didn't seem anything more I could add to the post other than a link.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IowaDee   

Dang, I wish it had been Trader Joes instead.  I would love to buy all my favorites from them on line.  Are you listening Jeff?  I did see that Amazon now sell Ikea stuff.  

• Like 1

Toliver   

I am interested in this union to see how Amazon's "cheaper than anyone else" creed will impact the high prices at Whole Foods. 

Also, Amazon has tried, unsuccessfully, for years to get into the grocery/grocery delivery market and by having a Whole Foods be a delivery hub in various neighborhoods is quite brilliant.

edited for clarity

Edited by Toliver clarity (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

kayb   
7 hours ago, Toliver said:

I am interested in this union to see how Amazon's "cheaper than anyone else" creed will impact the high prices at Whole Foods. 

Also, Amazon has tried, unsuccessfully, for years to get into the grocery/grocery delivery market and by having a Whole Foods be a delivery hub in various neighborhoods is quite brilliant.

edited for clarity

My first thought was what the impact of Amazon's pricing, which is generally quite good, might have on WF's prices. Disclaimer: As there is not a WF in town, but there are three other quite good natural markets, I don't go there much. When I do, I generally peruse the "sample cheese" basket, the small pieces for less than three bucks, that will let me sample something I might otherwise be reluctant to purchase.

Will be interested to see how it develops.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, Toliver said:

WF had already started rolling out their "365" stores with more affordable selections, so maybe they will keep going in that direction.

• Like 1

dcarch   

Seismic changes in the food world will  soon be here. May be good, may be very bad.

Remember Amazon started experimenting with drone delivery a few years ago?

"Honey, we are out of ice cream. It's too hot and too much traffic to go and just to get ice cream."

" No problem. Alexa, go get me a quart of ice cream."

"Yes. For you or for your husband?"

"Thanks. For my husband."

"OK, you husband likes French vanilla. The ice cream will be delivered to you in two minutes. You will hear our drone arriving announcing Whole Foods delivery. BTW, your favorite gourmet olive oil is on sale. Would you like to get some?"

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

Seismic changes in the food world will  soon be here. May be good, may be very bad.

Remember Amazon started experimenting with drone delivery a few years ago?

"Honey, we are out of ice cream. It's too hot and too much traffic to go and just to get ice cream."

" No problem. Alexa, go get me a quart of ice cream."

"Yes. For you or for your husband?"

"Thanks. For my husband."

"OK, you husband likes French vanilla. The ice cream will be delivered to you in two minutes. You will hear our drone arriving announcing Whole Foods delivery. BTW, your favorite gourmet olive oil is on sale. Would you like to get some?"

dcarch

According to today's NY Times* someone quipped "Will they send a drone to take my wallet?"  I subscribe to Amazon Fresh and while Amazon Fresh is pretty good I hope it will get a whole lot better.  Then again I read one review that said the fish from Amazon Fresh was a whole lot better than the fish sold by Whole Foods.

*Disclaimer, I understand the chair of Whole Foods is married to the publisher of the NY Times.

rotuts   

this will be very interesting to follow.

WF  is a tired , out of date sort of place   in my view

Bezos is thought by Some Who Might Know  

http://wealthtrack.com ]

to be a brilliant innovator   

many have said so , including 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett

you can take it or leave it   ( the above )

WF  , should the deal go through , is going to wake up for sure !

there is still a ways to go , and the price will rise.

not a big deal for Amazon

Edited by rotuts (log)

Toliver   

"Amazon’s delivered meals may not require refrigeration"

...Reuters reports that Amazon is considering using military tech to create meals that don't require refrigeration....
...This new method delivers a much tastier final product, and has a shelf life for up to a year. No refrigeration is required.

Doesn't sound very...appetizing. ¬¬

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”