• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying Japanese Knives Online

gfron1

Yeah, one of the biggest annoyances with getting into these knives is the stones! They can cost as much as the knives themselves (although prob not your honyaki)

Here you go.  My knife splurge is complete. From top to bottom: Sukenari Honyaki white #1 gyuto 210mm with custom Russian Karelian Birch handle, Kato Nakiri white #2 180mm with wenge ferrule handle, Fujiwara Shirogami gyuto white #1 210mm, Fujiwara Shirogami Wa-petty white #1 150mm. The first two are from ChefKnivesToGo.com and the second two I bought in person at Bernal Cutlery in San Francisco.  I've congratulated myself enough for last year. Now on to earn next year's!

Let us know how you like cutting with single bevel knives.

dcarch

Let us know how you like cutting with single bevel knives.

dcarch

Unless those knives are different, neither gyutous nor nakiris nor petties are single bevel knives

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 1

They're gorgeous. Congratulations! Have you set up a safe for them, or can you trust your staff to keep their mitts off those knives?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have a very small staff so that's not an issue.  They go home with me at the end of the night, and staff have my cheapies - Globals (pretty nice cheapies) so they don't use mine.

They're gorgeous. Congratulations! Have you set up a safe for them, or can you trust your staff to keep their mitts off those knives?

• Like 1

BTW

some if not many USA credit cards charge a 'fee' of 3 % for 'international' purchases.

why make Billion airs  Trillion airs ?

check your Cards.

I know I have a card that does not do this

But I Continue To Resist !

:raz:

BTW  

JoNorvelleWalker

"""

Thanks for your mail. I'm Shinichi from Watanabe blade.
Pro Santoku 165mm is 140g
Pro Nakkiri 165mm is 170g
Pro Nakkiri 180mm is 185g

We can assemble bigger handle with some extra cost, if you want.

The shipping to USA Boston is JPY3,200

We accept some kinds of payment. (Paypal, Bank transfer or IPMO)
If you'd like to order the knife, please let me know the one of payment.

Please feel free to contact us for any further information.

Shinichi Watanabe
WATANABE BLADE
1 Inokobashinden, Sanjo-shi,
Niigata-ken 959-1151 JAPAN
Phone & Fax +81 (256) 45-2940
shinichiwatanabe@coral.plala.or.jp
sin@watanabeblade.com
http://www.watanabeblade.com
http://www.kitchen-knife.jp
http://www.jblade.jp

"""

not everybody here is a Weenie.

again

:laugh:

If I calculated correctly the Kurouchi Nakkiri 180mm is $184 US, plus $29.44 shipping.  Wonder if it would fit in my knife block?

Edit:  Rotuts, what's your thinking on a larger handle, which I assume you asked about in your email?

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

""  JPY3,200 "" = 29.28.

the Yen is falling like a Stone !

is shipping for two knives.  cant say if its less for 0ne

they do not seem to take a charge card, and use PayPal.   I have my reservation on PP

Ive never used it.

PP seems to want to 'wet its beak' at 4 % for a currency conversion.

cheeky in my view.   and the PP web site is a bit byzantine

as Im looking at two knives, that might save me a Bundle

:blink:

Yen went back up today.  I don't do PP either or I probably would have bought by now.

Which is the other knife you are considering?  I was thinking about an usuba but that might be harder for me to use, as I understand they are single beveled.  I wish he had pictures of his usuba models.  I've seen a picture of some Watanabe usuba online, but I don't know how it relates to what's for sale.

J,

The Usaba is more than a single bevel Nakiri, technique is critical to properly use it.  The primary use is Katsuramuki or rotary peeling.  These super thin peels are then ken cut  into decorative (and tasty) pieces.  Most users will be better served with a more robust and versatile Nakiri.

Japanes Cooking Knives is a good reference and a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Kitchen-Knives-Essential-Techniques/dp/1568364903/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412086811&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=japaanese+cooking+knives

Edited by daveb (log)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation.  I ordered a copy of the book.

One thing about the nakiri, even at 180mm the blade seems rather short.  Usaba are available in much longer lengths.  As I recall Watanabe suggests the 180mm length nakkiri if you are over five and a half feet tall.  I am a woman and I am six foot.  Is there a reason a long nakiri/nakkiri does not seem to exist?  Not just from Watanabe, from any bladesmith I have found.

Japanese knives intended for home use are not that long. Keep in mind housing tends to be smaller, kitchens are likely smaller, etc, than the American standard, and there isn't as much room to bang around a giant knife.  Santoku, nakiri, funayuki, bunka hocho, and other such knives are rarely more than 180mm. Even usuba and deba, which do come in a great variety of lengths, are available in those sizes, too. However, as I understand it, the single bevel knives are used mostly in a professional rather than a home setting.

If you want a long blade that will slice its way through vegetables at lightning speed, you're better off getting the "laser" variety of gyutou, such as those made by Konosuke, Suisin, and others. You can get them anywhere from 210 to 270 mm.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

excellent points, H

I also wonder if the 180 mm limit is the result derived from the fact that the nakiri is used for chopping, an up and down motion

rather than slicing, a pull through motion.

banging around Amazon there were some ref.s at the bottom of a page I cant reproduce and did not bookmark to some

knife makers in japan.  they had long nakiri like knives, but mostly sushi / sashimi long knives.  they were is the 1000 + + + USD range.

guess that's why I did not bookmark them.

and some idiot bought a basketball team for a billion bucks.  if he had a noodle in his head ( I dont think he does, just me saying )

he could have bought 3 - 4 really fine Japanese knives, along w a private sushi bar and distinguished Master Sushi/Sashimi chef.

beter value there I think.

PS

found a few at the bottom of this page :

http://shoei-do.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=161&zenid=7fff5a64c9bdfc4d6e39261ee72cdfe6

and

http://shoei-do.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=140

Edited by rotuts (log)

One thing about the nakiri, even at 180mm the blade seems rather short.  Usaba are available in much longer lengths.  As I recall Watanabe suggests the 180mm length nakkiri if you are over five and a half feet tall.  I am a woman and I am six foot.  Is there a reason a long nakiri/nakkiri does not seem to exist?  Not just from Watanabe, from any bladesmith I have found.

To me using a Nakiri is fun.  The knife dances on the board through the vegs.  I've had Nakiri in 210, 180 and 165mm.  The 210 (Shig) was a fine knife but to to big and clunky to dance for me.  The right 180 has eluded me (and Watanabe  may be it) but I think it would be a perfect size.  My 165 Carter dances well but is a wee bit short for bulk use. Is fun for a little bit of this and a little of that.

I've not seen a Usuba longer than 210 but won't say there's not one.  It would be difficult to effectively use a longed edge.for in hand cutting.  . 

Edited by daveb (log)
  • Like 1

As of last night Watanabe's website was back up...yen is holding steady.

A laser gyutou does not appeal that much to me.  I have a 9 inch High West chef's knife that is 2.4 mm at the heel.  I'm not sure I would want thinner.  My Wusthof slicer is a 13.5 inch blade and 1.7 mm at the heel.  I very rarely use it.

Still leaning toward the 180 mm nikkiri.  My copy of Japanese Cooking Knives should arrive tomorrow.  (And the price went up since I ordered!)

• Like 1

Having now finished reading Japanese Cooking Knives, it was a book well worth the modest price.  I probably would be better served by a nakiri/nakkiri than an usuba.  Having looked around quite a bit by this time, there are three blades that interest me:

http://www.kitchen-knife.jp/pro/nakkiri.htm

This is the Watanabe we've been talking about.  If Watanabe took credit cards I think he would have had my yen by now.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kika18na.html

The Kato nakiri that was highly regarded earlier in this thread.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nublstna19cu.html

This nakiri is longer, thinner, more expensive than the other two -- and made of proprietary steel.  Mystery material and an unnamed artisan does not impart a warm fuzzy feeling.  Nonetheless I find this blade attractive.

Thoughts?  Anyone have experience with Nubatama or know anything about the steel?  Why is the maker's identity secret, I wonder?  Is he a superhero?  I gather that chefknivestogo is a reputable Japanese knife shop?

Nubatama has a few line of well-regarded waterstones, though I don't know about their knives. Chefknivestogo is a very reputable shop - they don't offer bad products - only good, better, and best.