• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying Japanese Knives Online

gfron1

I've bought from Bernal Cutlery in SF and Japanese Knife Imports in Beverly Hills.  Both are great but I am looking for something new.  I like hand forged, high quality knives.  My most recent was a Fujiwara 210 white #1 which has changed my kitchen forever - such an amazing knife.  But I'm on the hunt again...suggestions?

10513515_10152614573574845_7107304110002

Chefknivestogo is impressive in many respects. I placed an order on a Monday and it showed up Wednesday. It started in Wisconsin and came to me, in Connecticut. The forum is probably the best forum anywhere when it comes to knives. Absolutely stellar. I'd be comfortable recommending that place as the first and last stop for all knife matters.

• Like 3

I've had a different experience with CKTG.  My 1st order was a 3 stone set, everything  was good.  2nd order was for sink bridge, all was not good.  The knurled screws to adjust the bridge were attached and not protected (dumb).  The bridge was packed loosely (dumb) and upon receipt the screws were broken.   Mark was not helpful in resolution.  $140 bridge now sits on top of my junk pile. 

I found the forum a little cheesy with those providing advice having a retail interest in that advice, be it knives, sharpening, etc.

YMMV.

Edited by daveb (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the link to Watanabe. I got myself one of these. Sin, the owner, is very helpful and fast in supplying postage, etc. The knife has terrific balance and excellent sharpness. Looking forward to using it for many years to come.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I've bought from Bernal Cutlery in SF and Japanese Knife Imports in Beverly Hills.  Both are great but I am looking for something new.  I like hand forged, high quality knives.  My most recent was a Fujiwara 210 white #1 which has changed my kitchen forever - such an amazing knife.  But I'm on the hunt again...suggestions?

10513515_10152614573574845_7107304110002

Maaan so you have a Fujiwara Teruyasu AND a Honyaki? Intensely jealous over here!

I can't get this knife off my mind :

http://www.watanabeblade.com/english/pro/nakkiri.htm

thanks for the tip !

Ill have to find the conversion rate and shipping charges etc etc

That's the one that called to me!  If you learn the cost in dollars delivered to the US, please share the information.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

wait til you see what I have coming later today!  Then I need to stop spending money on knives - I've congratulated myself enough for this year!

Maaan so you have a Fujiwara Teruyasu AND a Honyaki? Intensely jealous over here!

I already posted in the other Japanese knife thread that's active so I apologize for the repeat.  I'm carefully tracking it on FedEx right now.  Custom handle - Russian keirilian birch.  Sukenari 210mm Honyaki.

NewKnife.jpg

• Like 1

Here you go.  My knife splurge is complete. From top to bottom: Sukenari Honyaki white #1 gyuto 210mm with custom Russian Karelian Birch handle, Kato Nakiri white #2 180mm with wenge ferrule handle, Fujiwara Shirogami gyuto white #1 210mm, Fujiwara Shirogami Wa-petty white #1 150mm. The first two are from ChefKnivesToGo.com and the second two I bought in person at Bernal Cutlery in San Francisco.  I've congratulated myself enough for last year. Now on to earn next year's!

KnivesFinal.jpg

• Like 2