• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knives Need Sharpening? Take Them To A Truck!

weinoo

When I was a kid, I remember the knife sharpening truck would occasionally ride through our neighborhood. I think he clanged a bell (like the Good Humor Man, only louder) to let people know he was around.  Indeed...https://www.nytimes.com/1997/06/29/nyregion/a-truck-a-bell-a-craft.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Q00.sHty.UHOlIPzjMvAZ&smid=url-share

And...https://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/08/nyregion/thecity/bells-clanging-a-tradesman-comes-home.html?unlocked_article_code=1.Q00.vJL2.Lf4fh0k62IMD&smid=url-share

I think back in those days, they sharpened everything using exactly the same equipment.  So your lawn mower blade, pruning shears, and fancy knives all got sharpened on an electric wheel of some sort. Or even like this...

image.png.0dd24fe3dc726117dfdf4d6db7bd998e.png

Credit: Roger Viollet via Getty Images

But lookie here as well...Knives Sharpened Like the Old Days — On Wheels  From Eater, no less!

The Green Point Knife Truck uses traditional whetstone techniques, low RPM belt grinders (that don’t get the blade too hot, where they can go down to a low grit), and Tormek machines (which use water-cooling); there’s also leather finishing, files, and polishing. “The goal is to get the knife sharp while taking off the least amount of material,” says White.

They pride themselves in customizing their approach to what the knife needs and making sure nothing is too aggressive (which can cause knife degradation and breaking). “We get knives all the time that are different angles, and we make sure to know if it is a 50/50 bevel or 70/30 bevel,” says White; it’s important to maintain the angle through the process and make sure customers know what they have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I get mine done by a man on a bicycle. He comes by every couple of months banging an old wok lid with a stick to attract customers,then sits in the communal area with his various stones, sharpening the neighborhood. Can take him two days to get through everyone. But he does a great job.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

I think back in those days, they sharpened everything using exactly the same equipment.  So your lawn mower blade, pruning shears, and fancy knives all got sharpened on an electric wheel of some sort. Or even like this...

Who had fancy knives back then?  Did they even exist here in NY?

• Like 2

Most mobile knife sharpeners (and most stationary ones) are super aggressive, and grind way too much metal off your knives. You'll probably get a dozen sharpenings before they look like skewers and have to be replaced.

I made the mistake of taking my knives to a commercial joint once, at the recommendation of a local butcher in Providence. They came back with about 1/8" taken off the blades, and a deeply concave edge profile from the grinding wheel. Luckily these were just Chicago Cutlery knives, I leaned to never do that again.

“The goal is to get the knife sharp while taking off the least amount of material," says the Green Point Knife Truck man. This means he's not the typical knife truck man. 

• Like 3

Notes from the underbelly

Most of those people have no idea what they're doing. I refer to them as "Bubba with a bench grinder." You'll find them at the farmer's market or wherever. Some even work for professional sharpening services. I recently saw some horrorshow knife gore when someone from the Cozzini Bros sharpening services effectively destroyed the edge and finish on all two dozen knives in a commercial kitchen. "Professionals." 

The folks with the truck in Brooklyn mentioned in the Eater piece seem good enough, but as a general rule most of the trucks you'll find in smaller-town America are to be avoided. If I lived in NYC, I'd probably just make a trip to Korin. Since I don't, I mail it into Korin in NYC or District Cutlery in DC. They both have great mail in services with fast turnaround (unless Korin has a backlog or is on holiday).

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 10:08 AM, paulraphael said:

Most mobile knife sharpeners (and most stationary ones) are super aggressive, and grind way too much metal off your knives. You'll probably get a dozen sharpenings before they look like skewers and have to be replaced.

I made the mistake of taking my knives to a commercial joint once, at the recommendation of a local butcher in Providence. They came back with about 1/8" taken off the blades, and a deeply concave edge profile from the grinding wheel. Luckily these were just Chicago Cutlery knives, I leaned to never do that again.

“The goal is to get the knife sharp while taking off the least amount of material," says the Green Point Knife Truck man. This means he's not the typical knife truck man. 

These guys sound legit.   There’s nothing inherently less reputable about a truck than any other setting.  I have a couple beaters I use when testing out any sharpener, however well reviewed.

BTByrd knows a ton more about knives than I do.  One of my favorites is a knife I bought from him on another website (the shame) that was beneath his standards

Living in a tiny condo at the moment but brought a ceramic rod with me to give a quick touch up on a few knives that brought.  Hate using other people’s knives.   Usually disappointed in performance 

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2024 at 3:53 PM, Dr. Teeth said:

BTByrd knows a ton more about knives than I do.  One of my favorites is a knife I bought from him on another website (the shame) that was beneath his standards

You're too kind. But one quick point of correction: There was nothing beneath my standards about that knife -- I just needed to pay some bills! I still miss it sometimes, but it makes me happy that it went somewhere where it's being loved, used, and enjoyed.

• Like 1