• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amazon Japan free shipping to US

lemniscate

4 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I just noticed something out of the ordinary.  I am seeing Free International shipping to the US from Amazon Japan.

I have been looking at some Japanese pans and kitchen goods and noticed the Free shipping.

It looks like it is throughout the offered categories, so many things are possible.

Enjoy if it works out for you.

Uh-oh. Part of me wishes I hadn't looked at this. The other part is doing a happy dance (which isn't really a dance, more like wiggling in place—which actually could be a bit frightening if anyone stumbles upon it without sufficient warning—but happy nonetheless).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Uh-oh. Part of me wishes I hadn't looked at this. The other part is doing a happy dance (which isn't really a dance, more like wiggling in place—which actually could be a bit frightening if anyone stumbles upon it without sufficient warning—but happy nonetheless).

I know, right?  I bought some goods, just FYI, the shipping is way out there in delivery dates, but nonetheless, it's stuff I probably couldn't find here at those prices.

I've ordered a couple things from there and it's all arrived pretty quick (to be fair most/all things I've ordered from Jpn have come faster than it often does in from within the US - From Whitesville tee shirts to Japanese knives!)

Things I've ordered include Riken Bonito soup powder (a nice instant dashi that uses less traditional ingredients) https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Riken-Bonito-Soup-Stock-17-6/dp/B0753M1TP2

and a rice pot by Staub originally for the Japanese market, which I think you can now get through regular Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/40509-655-Cocotte-inches-Induction-Heat-Compatible/dp/B001J6N1YQ/ref=sr_1_8?crid=PHYGTB5VE2JZ&keywords=staub&qid=1703562582&sprefix=staub%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-8&th=1

Edited by AAQuesada (log)

Ive scrolled through for fun :

No Global knives , and as I understand it , there are ma ny many more styles in Japan that are not exported 

and odd assortment of fishing lures , all very expensive for what they seem to be :

sss.thumb.jpg.b233095796193059652f69ec3098a747.jpg

but I guess they were in portend to Japan, now available for export back to the USA

one could imagine . . . that such a site with a desire to exploit the English speaking world , , ,

would find / employ a body who could meaningfully translate the 'obtuse' usage/names of their products.

so many look interesting, so few are usefully described . . .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

. . . that such a site with a desire to exploit the English speaking world , , ,

would find / employ a body who could meaningfully translate the 'obtuse' usage/names of their products.

I think it is more of a service than an exploit - think “omotenashi”. You can order at any national Amazon: if Amazon as a transnational company would have any interest in blurring national markets, it would have been done. 

On 12/26/2023 at 10:37 PM, rotuts said:

No Global knives , and as I understand it , there are ma ny many more styles in Japan that are not exported 

They have, of course. But you are right - not to be exported. Hence I order when in Japan 😜

IMG_2013.thumb.jpeg.3e7e3f4b104b9da185442f9e990e8a7f.jpeg

@Duvel

some day , 

when nits time

you will move to Watanabe , Professional

https://www.kitchen-knife.jp/pro/

one Gyoto ,

https://www.kitchen-knife.jp/pro/gyuto.htm

one nakkiri

https://www.kitchen-knife.jp/pro/nakkiri.htm

only for personal use.  accept no substitutes.

an EdgeProsharpening system would be very helpful 

at that point.

https://www.edgeproinc.com/sharpening-kits/

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 11:45 AM, lemniscate said:

I know, right?  I bought some goods, just FYI, the shipping is way out there in delivery dates, but nonetheless, it's stuff I probably couldn't find here at those prices.

The shipping is definitely built into the prices — but the combination seems to be cheaper than buying directly from amazon.co.jp in most cases.

That said, the Japanese Amazon site will ship many things to the US, so it's worth checking, particularly for any larger orders. The yen is very weak right now which makes a lot of things more affordable than usual.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I just checked on the items I ordered and they all state "made in Japan".

I bought a Panasonic MW oven, Made in China.

I bought a GE clothe washer, made in China.

According to NYT, Midea (China, 150,000 employees) makes basically all MW ovens, doesn't matter which brand.  

dcarch

• Like 2