• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 7)

mgaretz

Just now, Anna N said:

Usually I'm smart enough to figure that out. Forgot to put my brain in gear this time I guess. Thank you.

You never know, though. There are always the times we assume something wrongly and it turns out to be a new cooking term, right? Ha. xD

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

You never know, though. There are always the times we assume something wrongly and it turns out to be a new cooking term, right? Ha. xD

Honest I thought it was a sous-vide technique!  I'm always on the lookout for meats and sauces cooked sous-vide. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Beef and pork enchiladas. 

I go away for a week, so he who stayed at home made a mountain of bolognaise style sauce. Here it is repurposed with the addition of corn kernels, lots of chilli and extra passata, rolled in soft wraps, blanketed with grated cheddar and baked for 20 minutes. Served with a dollop of natural yoghurt and a mixed salad. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 16

@Anna N @FauxPas @robirdstx Poached it is. I wouldn't recommend cooking meatballs in a pouch, it might be dirty.

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Your Baharat mix is quite different from the one I have used.  It is out of The Complete Middle East Cookbook by Tess Mallos in the Gulf States section.  This mix has 1/2 c black pepper, 1/4 c coriander seeds, 1/4 cu cassia bark, 1/4 c cloves, 1/3 c cumin seeds, 2 teaspoons cardamom seeds, 4 whole nutmegs and 1/2 cup paprika.  Can you comment on this?  Your meal looks fantastic.  Was it lamb in the meatballs?

Bahart is simply "spices" in Arabic, so although it is used to refer to a relatively specific blend, it is prone to variations. I don't always have it all ground and mixed, so I just add some of the common ingredients by feel. I'll rarely include coriander or paprika in it (though I often pair it with paprika). Nutmeg and black pepper I prefer to add at the end of cooking, so I won't blend it together with the rest.

I would have preferred to use lamb, or part lamb, but it was all quite improvised, so I didn't have any on hand.

As for the recipe, I don't have the amount, but the meatballs were made with ground beef and some turkey that I had frozen, flavored with said spices (but any blend will work), finely chopped onion, minced garlic, some thick yogurt (you can use Greek style or labaneh), egg, salt and breadcrumbs. Pan fried in a shallow layer of oil until the first side is browned and only shortly on the other side. Set aside and clear the oil from any particles (Wipe the pan and replace the oil it's too dirty). Fry onion stripes until deeply browned, add quite plenty of garlic, some cumin, a little fenugreek and chilly to taste. Heat to release the flavors into the oil and add yogurt (I also added a small amount of lebben, which is a light sour cream / thick buttermilk; since had leftover on hand. I guess it can be subbed by more yogurt). Also some salt. Gently heat while stirring. Place meatballs in sauce (I tried to place the browned side on top, so it will look better). Simmer shortly, until the meatballs are cooked through and top with cilantro. Adjust flavors to taste - mine wasn't tart enough, so I sprinkled a little lemon juice. 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 8

~ Shai N.

Hello, everyone! I know I've been gone for a long time, but not by choice. I've been dealing with my mother's health issues and hospitalization. I'm now living with her temporarily and not doing any interesting cooking. I've had some free time in the last couple of days and have been trying to catch up. Really loving all the posts in the dinner, breakfast and sweets threads! Please know that I miss everyone here and I miss being involved! Thanks to those who have missed me and I'm hoping that I'll be able to contribute starting in September.

• Like 25

28 minutes ago, shain said:

@Anna N @FauxPas @robirdstx Poached it is. I wouldn't recommend cooking meatballs in a pouch, it might be dirty.

Bahart is simply "spices" in Arabic, so although it is used to refer to a relatively specific blend, it is prone to variations. I don't always have it all ground and mixed, so I just add some of the common ingredients by feel. I'll rarely include coriander or paprika in it (though I often pair it with paprika). Nutmeg and black pepper I prefer to add at the end of cooking, so I won't blend it together with the rest.

I would have preferred to use lamb, or part lamb, but it was all quite improvised, so I didn't have any on hand.

As for the recipe, I don't have the amount, but the meatballs were made with ground beef and some turkey that I had frozen, flavored with said spices (but any blend will work), finely chopped onion, minced garlic, some thick yogurt (you can use Greek style or labaneh), egg, salt and breadcrumbs. Pan fried in a shallow layer of oil until the first side is browned and only shortly on the other side. Set aside and clear the oil from any particles (Wipe the pan and replace the oil it's too dirty). Fry onion stripes until deeply browned, add quite plenty of garlic, some cumin, a little fenugreek and chilly to taste. Heat to release the flavors into the oil and add yogurt (I also added a small amount of lebben, which is a light sour cream / thick buttermilk; since had leftover on hand. I guess it can be subbed by more yogurt). Also some salt. Gently heat while stirring. Place meatballs in sauce (I tried to place the browned side on top, so it will look better). Simmer shortly, until the meatballs are cooked through and top with cilantro. Adjust flavors to taste - mine wasn't tart enough, so I sprinkled a little lemon juice. 

Thank you so much for taking the time.  I have added it to my gotta make list. So many great recipes, so little time!

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Hello, everyone! I know I've been gone for a long time, but not by choice. I've been dealing with my mother's health issues and hospitalization. I'm now living with her temporarily and not doing any interesting cooking. I've had some free time in the last couple of days and have been trying to catch up. Really loving all the posts in the dinner, breakfast and sweets threads! Please know that I miss everyone here and I miss being involved! Thanks to those who have missed me and I'm hoping that I'll be able to contribute starting in September.

Glad that you are back! Sorry to hear about your Mom. Have you made any special foods for her?

• Like 1

Trying to keep on top of CSA farm box. Salad of lettuce, basil, diced onion, blackberries, goat cheese, pecans with a blackberry balsamic vinaigrette. So good! And simple meal of corn, tomato and chicken wings. Wings are steam-baked in Cuisinart steam oven. We'll have mixed berries with ice cream later, if we have room. 

IMGP6193.JPG

IMGP6199.JPG

• Like 17

Mmm, mmm, mmm! Everything you all made looks so good!

I am trying to work through a tray of oven fried chicken I cooked off a few days ago because under a heat advisory, even with good A/C, which we thankfully have, it's too hot to run the oven much. It takes a while for two older folks like us to get through 10 largish thighs, but I have whittled them down to two left without much heat in the house. I have even managed to keep them from getting too boring pretty well, I hope.

So tonight, I made my husband a cold chicken, cheese, lettuce and tomato wrap in a flour tortilla with ranch dressing. I can't stand ranch unless it's homemade with buttermilk and fresh herbs, but he loves the commercial stuff, so that's what he got. Both of us had canned La Costena refried pinto beans with cheddar melted on top (microwaved). Mine was drowned in Taco Bell hot sauce, because that's the way I like them. I thought I'd either have a plain thigh or make myself a wrap (no ranch) or tacos, but I was full after eating the frioles with some white corn tortilla chips which were very briefly heated in the oven in a stainless bowl. I just love having a working thermostat in the oven after years without one!

I also made my husband's lunch: a chicken sandwich from the sliced meat of one of the thighs on a length of purchased French bread from the deli with good white American cheese also from the deli, mayo and lettuce. He'll also have Thompson and a few of my coveted muscadine grapes. He loves them too.

I am so glad to see @Kim Shook, back in the forums I am beside myself. Yah! I made her coconut cake for my husband's birthday dinner back at the end of May, gave her a shout out, but never heard a peep until today. The cake was the best coconut cake I have ever put in my mouth, and if you want to make it, you can find the recipe here.

• Like 8

> ^ . . ^ <

More work for the CSO, Cuisinart Steam Oven:  chicken thigh, roast potatoes, left over parboiled Brussels sprouts, all cooked together 425 deg F. for 25 minutes.

Dinner08172016.png

http://tribade.org/Food/Dinner08172016.png

Thirty second green beans, not cooked in the CSO.  Ice cream for dessert.  (Not shown...though I may go back for more.)

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I am so glad to see @Kim Shook, back in the forums I am beside myself. Yah! I made her coconut cake for my husband's birthday dinner back at the end of May, gave her a shout out, but never heard a peep until today. The cake was the best coconut cake I have ever put in my mouth, and if you want to make it, you can find the recipe here.

Thank you!  I'm so glad that you liked the cake!  It is a favorite here.  Nice to be missed, too!

• Like 3

Kim, you are definitely missed, my friend!

Roast beef sandwiches last night.  Meat was SV'd for about 8 hours.  Thought I had more of @cyalexa 's buns in the freezer, but I only had hotdog ones...so we had to settle for homemade white bread lol.

P8161267.JPG

P8161268.JPG

• Like 18

Pork spare ribs slow-stewed w/ daikon & mushrooms.

DSCN0704bC_600.jpg

With rice.

Plus yu choy sum.

DSCN0695a_500.jpg

Blanched in oiled simmering water then dressed w/ oyster sauce & white pepper.

On the way to the final pot of stew.

Ingredients included garlic, peeled & sliced daikon, short-cut pork spare ribs, fermented beancurd – white [Liu Ma Kee] plus chillied [Korika] slurried w/ some water. Dashes of this-and-that also went in.

DSCN0679a_400.jpgDSCN0682a_400.jpg

DSCN0684a_400.jpgDSCN0688a_400.jpg

Finished stew was left to meld-in further for several hours before re-heating.

• Like 8

The general feeling of malaise which I mentioned a day or two ago has developed into a full-blown summer cold. I feel miserable, but got to eat.

This is something I like a lot, but rarely make under other circumstances. I really wasn't up for shopping today , so I raided the freezers. Not a lot in there. I've been trying to clear them out for a well deserved defrost and clean.

There was some beef, though. Actually. I just bought it a few days ago. Can't remember why I didn't use it at the time.

Anyway, slivered it and marinated in soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, garlic, ginger and chilli flakes. A lot of chili flakes. Then simply stir fried it, finishing with a splash of sesame oil. Normally, I would serve with some sort of greenery, but I had none. Just served with rice. It is keeping me alive. And I enjoyed it a lot! I even managed to taste it, although I couldn't smell it.

IMG_3761.jpg

• Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I like snacking on raw green beans during prep, so I would probably love your method. Do you blanch them in boiling, salted water?

No, not boiled.  I pressure steam the beans thirty seconds in my Fissler pressure cooker.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This meal tasted a lot better than it looks (partly due to my lack of photography skills): Mark Bittman's unstuffed cabbage over rice with some fried green tomatoes (because the branch broke off one of the greenhouse plants) that got cooked a bit too long. There was some home made ranch dressing for the tomatoes.

DSC01528.jpg

A multi part meal: salad with beets, goat cheese and pecans (as well as other salady things), toasts with tomato and grated cheddar and very inauthentic but very good gazpacho - a recipe i have had since I was a 20-something graduate student just learning to cook.

DSC01535.jpg

DSC01534.jpg

DSC01537.jpg

• Like 20

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

image.jpegimage.jpeg

There could be no question but that some of these tomatoes from my daughter's garden would appear on my dinner plate! Here they are with basil also from her garden, salt and a drizzle of reduced balsamic. Chicken thighs from Air fryer. 

• Like 16

My 2004 eG Blog