• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

We heard about this place that is a 20 minute ride through back woods and farm country. "Snak Shak" in Moosup, CT. Today we took a ride out there and were pleasantly surprised. Their fried clams were good, if not great. I'm not a big fan of clam cakes, but these had a good flavor and actually had some clams in them.

You can see the total for these 2 items on the check. Pretty comparable to items we have had of much lower quality in the areaa.

HC

Fried Clams.png

Clam Cakes.png

• Like 11

Great looking clams and the marrow looks sublime!

Bacon, avocado and tomato on toasted sourdough,  potato salad and corn.  Avocado, corn and tomato all from the local farmers market and all were excellent.

IMG_3244.jpg

True confession:  After the photo, the sandwich returned to the kitchen to be cut in half, causing much rearrangement of ingredients with both avocado and mayo squishing through the holes in the toast.  

A very messy but tasty sandwich was consumed. 

• Like 14

Somewhere on eG people are talking about chicken and gravy sandwiches. Mmmmm.

Toasted seedy sourdough buttered, topped with sliced chicken & prosciutto rolls and warmed sugo.

Lousy photo, yummy lunch.

image.jpeg

• Like 16

This is what I had for lunch, but it was more of a trial run for a dinner coming up for Deb's birthday. Spaghetti carbonara requires  quite a bit of coordination to get it right without cheating and using cream. You get the pancetta rendered while the pasta water is heating, turn the heat way down on the pancetta until the pasta is near to al dente, then reheat the pancetta. At this point I added zucchini and sugar snaps and some reconstituted dried porcinis. Then you add the pasta to the fry pan, cut the heat to the fry pan and add in a mixture of egg, egg yolk and grated cheese. This you stir around letting the heat of the pasta cook the egg and cheese mixture and add in some of the pasta water to achieve a creamy texture. You flip this into a preheated bowl and serve. It's quite the orchestration. We had this at a place called Ai Tre Scalini in Rome (without the zucchini, sugar snaps and porcini) and and Deb still talks about it. She was off with her grandson today and I still have double vision from recent surgery and riding in the car is kind of scary. I decided to stay home for a practice run I think. I am ready.

HC

IMG_1199.JPG  

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 10

The other day, @liamsaunt posted a fabulous looking Spanglish sandwich over on the Dinner thread.  Although I saw the movie and a search reveals multiple mentions of it here on eG, this sandwich never registered with me.  Maybe I thought the BLT was perfect the way it is and adding a runny fried egg and melted cheese was too much over the top.  

Perhaps, but it's also extremely delicious:

IMG_3248.jpg 

I'm out of lettuce so I added some slices of avocado for a green component which just added to the over-the-top-ness of the whole thing.  And the messiness xD!

I will try this again when there is lettuce in the house but this one will be pretty hard to top!

• Like 17

Lazy late launch. I'd wouldn't usually share it if not for some interesting anecdotes.

20160705_210235.jpg

Hummus that I bought about a week ago and froze.Leftover ratatouille, a little toasted bread and some not-pictured pita bread which I charred over gas flame. Some, cumin, zchug and some sriracha.

So what Iv'e learned:

-  Ratatouille with hummus is quite nice. I quite enjoy both shakshuka (which is tomato based) and roasted eggplants when served along hummus, so it make sense that ratatouille will work as well.

-  Hummus with sriracha is also quite nice.

-  Eating almost a teaspoon worth of ground cumin is not fun (I should look better what stuck to my spoon before putting it in my mouth... :/)

-  The last thing is known to me already, but some may find it interesting, and this is that you can freeze hummus quite well. The crucial thing is to re-warm it very gently and not over-heat it. A bain-marie works best, but a few short microwave zaps works to if you make sure to stir it well.

And @blue_dolphin & @liamsaunt, those sandwiches looks gorgeous!

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 8

~ Shai N.

hard scrambled eggs(don't hate me but soft scrambled is a texture problem for me), turkey sausage and a toasted bagel for me

turkey sausage, French toast and blueberries for Johnnybird

sent him off with blueberry lemon muffins, all kinds of breads to make pb & j sandwiches for hiking and a big thing of smooch to eat for whichever meal he wants while he is up in the mountains for a few days. as well as some  hard boiled eggs.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

17 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

hard scrambled eggs(don't hate me but soft scrambled is a texture problem for me), turkey sausage and a toasted bagel for me

turkey sausage, French toast and blueberries for Johnnybird

With you on hard scrambled eggs!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've been a member for years, follow various threads religiously, and am constantly inspired at what everyone here makes and shares, but I never seem to get around to posting myself. So, maybe it's time to start ...

Lunch today was a bit of repurposed leftovers. This is a twice cooked shredded port should that was used in a ramen I made for dinner last night (I posted it in the ramen thread) that is sweet, salty and spicy. The potato salad was made with some leftover boiled potatoes and sauteed spinach mixed with some mayo, red onion, minced sweet gherkins, a bit of dijon, and some rice vinegar. The egg was a discard that cracked while peeling to put it in the shoyu marinade also intended for the ramen. I enjoyed it all cold and didn't want to warm any of it up.

2016-07-07 Lunch.jpg

Edited by MRE (log)
  • Like 13

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

Biased sliced zucchini coins shaken up in a bag of plain flour, dunked in an egg wash, rolled in a mixture of bread crumbs, garlic powder and a hefty amount of tajin, then shallow fried in peanut oil in a wok and drained on a paper towel. These would be great with a cold beer or two!

HC

IMG_1267.JPGIMG_1266.JPG

• Like 10

@HungryChris: in this context, what is "tajin"?  This looks like a good way to disguise zucchini, maybe even make DH think it's worth eating.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

@HungryChris: in this context, what is "tajin"?  This looks like a good way to disguise zucchini, maybe even make DH think it's worth eating.

I am a fan of NPR and was listening to the Food Schmooze a while back and someone mentioned Tajin. Actually, I think it is a Mexican food company that makes many forms of this spice, but basically it is a hot chili, lime and sea salt spice. Shortly after the broadcast, I spotted this in Aldi and have been exploring the use of it ever since.

HC

IMG_1283.JPG

• Like 7

We slept late, then went to the Ferry Building farmers' market.  Technically this meal is really breakfast but we didn't eat until 2 pm.

IMG_6925.JPG

Insalata caprese.

IMG_6934.JPG

IMG_6940.JPG

Pork loin with Little Gem lettuce and slow-cooked onion, otherwise known as "re-imagining leftovers".

• Like 11

@sartoric,

Your roast pork really is "the other white meat". ("The other white meat" is from an ad campaign by the pork producers that ran extensively in the US, in case you haven't heard of it.)

I saw it on your roast pork on dinner thread where it almost looks like chicken breast, but thought it was a trick of lighting or the camera. It looks the same in your above shot. I love the combination of veggies and applesauce with it. Your crackin's looked especially tasty too. Lovely dinner and lunch.

Is your pork sirloin or another cut?

> ^ . . ^ <

46 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@sartoric,

Your roast pork really is "the other white meat". ("The other white meat" is from an ad campaign by the pork producers that ran extensively in the US, in case you haven't heard of it.)

I saw it on your roast pork on dinner thread where it almost looks like chicken breast, but thought it was a trick of lighting or the camera. It looks the same in your above shot. I love the combination of veggies and applesauce with it. Your crackin's looked especially tasty too. Lovely dinner and lunch.

Is your pork sirloin or another cut?

It's part of a leg TftC, and we had that same "the other white meat" campaign (probably copied). 

I can almost make myself sick with crackling :) 

I should add that this was on special at $8 per kilo, a bargain here. 

Edited by sartoric
To add details. (log)
  • Like 1