• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

Thank you, Rotuts and Blue_Dolphine! Everytime I visit Germany I learn something new about the foods and drinks. All kinds of things, really. The country is vastly underated. Such a shame.

Got lucky with the photos... the sun is here again which means good for the photos.

Btw, maybe interesting to those who have never had "white sausage": the skin is not eaten and the mustard is sweet.

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpeg

Simple but refreshing salad. Iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, red onion  and a blue cheese dressing with additional blue cheese.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N, I can almost TASTE that blue cheese dressing. I have a surfeit of blue cheese on hand. Think I will try my hand at making some.

I had some more of my leftover-corn-and-bean salad, with a slice of ricotta loaf, toasted, and topped with an interesting spread. I was making homemade veggie juice yesterday, and I strained it through cheesecloth as I don't like the "vegetable smoothie" texture. Started to chunk the remaining paste -- essentially, veggie fiber -- in the compost, and stopped myself; thought I might taste it. Well, it tasted good; as well as tomatoes and tomato juice, it had beets, carrots, spinach, a zucchini, parsley, and a big handful of basil in it. No seasoning at all, and no onion or garlic, but I thought it tasted almost like a pizza sauce (from the basil, I guess). Anyway, I spread it on my toast and topped it with some homemade ricotta. Excellent! Sort of a bruschetta on a grand scale. I'll have that again this week.

veggie spread, peaches 060716.JPG

Dessert was fresh, local peaches, macerated in a couple of tablespoons of sugar, with cottage cheese. 

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg

Lunch yesterday was a very simple salad but it was dressed with April Bloomfield's lemon caper dressing.   This dressing includes supremes of lemon and is quite intriguing. It is readily available online.

image.jpeg

Today I used up the last of the Middle Eastern spiced ground beef with some orzo that I had cooked in a vegetable broth.  

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I picked up some grouper cheeks for dinner tomorrow.  Been a long time since I made them so needed to experiment on timing and doneness.   Seared in a cast iron pan with some butter.  Seasoned with salt and paprika and dusted with a fine matzo meal since I was out of my trusted Wondra.  A small potato pan fried for a side 

They were just done at the middle but a touch chewy.  I think I lwould like them a little more flaky so will try cooking  just a minute longer tomorrow.  The cheek is texturally a little different from a fillet 

image.jpeg

• Like 10

Cook's treat.  Roasted chicken last night left me with giblets.  Thinly sliced liver, heart, and gizzard flash seared and served over steamed rice (not pictured).  

image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 8

My lunches this dark and rainy weekend.

sEtpgjL.jpg

With asparagus, of course.

HXUphkZ.jpg

Hard to see but it's actually crab meat I removed from the claws.

HNGDGBR.jpg

Potato salad (white stuff is quark, meat is "beer sausage").

lIdAmft.jpg

------------------------------------

Tapas-style lunch.

A common dish in Thessaloniki, Greece. Costs about eur.10 there. I got 4 raw tentacles for eur.4

rThkDm5.jpg

Braised whelks. Since I can't find snails for the same dish I had in Spain I just used whelks. Worked fine. Plenty of fennel seeds in the sauce.

xSJMVk7.jpg

No tapas without pan con tomate

RxQr4pB.jpg

Cold prawns

http://i.imgur.com/8dtjUjD.jpg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

I've always wondered about Cincinnati chili, so I made some. It wasn't horrible, but not great either.

I'll take your share of Cinci chili and trade you a tuna sandwich any day. I like mine with beans, raw onion and the cheese a bit meltier too. :)

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

9 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I'll take your share of Cinci chili and trade you a tuna sandwich any day. I like mine with beans, raw onion and the cheese a bit meltier too. :)

I put pickled jalapeno and some of its juice in my tuna salad sandwiches. Maybe a thin shave of onion.

Jalapeno would've helped the chili.

• Like 1

image.jpeg

Simple salad with some SV'd pork tenderloin (57C x 2 hours). 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

I wanted to try  the shrimp nuggets from TJ's and bought some last week. Today I had them with a leftover salad from last night and a few newly discovered half sours from Aldi. Twelve minutes in a 400 F oven, turned after 6 min. The texture was quite good, but the next time they will go a few more minutes to a more golden brown color. I thought they lacked shrimp flavor and will not be buying them again, as I prefer domestic gulf shrimp and these, I discovered, are a product of Thailand. 

HC

IMG_1024.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 4

Curried chicken salad on organic locally grown greens. There is only one farm on this island mostly greens and herbs but occasionally tomatoes are available. And of course local fruits. Local mango is in this salad.

image.jpeg

and for my picky eaters who turn up their noses at curried chicken, cheese, crackers and fruit. Plus some leftover steak from the other night.

image.jpeg

• Like 11

Roasted some chicken breasts for John to have sandwiches when he goes up to Poughkeepsie later this week.  Made him a quesadilla with shredded chicken, some drained salsa and some guacamole.

I'm having a tossed salad with some of the chicken on it.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

No Hot dog rolls you say? Today I improvised with a slice of homemade bread softened with steam in the mike, then bent and toasted in a pan with a little butter while being held in shape with tooth picks. I had to use the fork to keep it from rolling and spilling out the goodies.

HC

IMG_1027.JPG

• Like 9

If you cut the dog in half lengthwise, you can make a flat half-sandwich with it. A bit easier. Standard sandwich when I was a kid was two hot dogs, split open and fried, between two slices of white bread with mustard.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

43 minutes ago, kayb said:

If you cut the dog in half lengthwise, you can make a flat half-sandwich with it. A bit easier. Standard sandwich when I was a kid was two hot dogs, split open and fried, between two slices of white bread with mustard.

Yes, Me too. It just occurred to me as an interesting challenge.

HC

• Like 2

Roasted pork belly adapted from the BBC Good Food's 3-Hour Pork Belly with pico de lettuce on the side. image.jpeg

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

New catch herring season started the other day and I finally ate them at the market today. I go to the same fishmonger for herrings every week. I've tried them all but this fishmonger has the best herrings year round and the quality remains consistent.

I only eat herrings where they are cleaned on the spot

TnEQGTF.jpg

CfYWxBj.jpg

A full tray of cleaned herrings. She's fast and cleans a lot of herrings a day, especially in the first few weeks of the season.

H6VseXt.jpg

Butter from the sea. New herrings should look like this. Pale with pink flesh. And they glisten.

cD0Fbb1.jpg

A short clip of the cleaning process I made a couple of years ago. Same stall, same cleaner. Has info texts so do watch in full screen mode.

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9

image.jpeg

Roast pork belly and cucumber muchim sandwich.         

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

a roast pork loin sandwich with onion rings, coleslaw and aioli

a meatball sub with mozzarella and arugula

black cherry soda

and I was reminded why I don't get lunch at this place more often:  http://prmeatco.com/

it was because somehow, four people managed to get their food first even though I placed my order before any of them did.  :huh: