• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

image.jpeg

Posties?  Oven-roasted potato planks topped with fried onions, gruyere and a dusting of smoked paprika. Braised red cabbage on the side. 

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Scraping the bottom of the barrel now. In preparation for a long absence I'm trying to use up whatever I can. Two sausages from the freezer and some iceberg lettuce from the crisper. Lettuce quickly sauteed in the pan in which the sausages were cooked and then spritzed with lemon juice. 

• Like 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I do hope this will not be a long absence from eGullet.  Are you heading up north again?  

Stay tuned!  

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Roasted carrots and half of a red onion simply seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon juice.  Washed down with a glass of wine and followed with a much-needed nap.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch was late, due to a failed IP eggs-periment, probably late enough that it's dinner, too.

Cuisi steam oven roasted chicken thigh and IP potato salad.  Fresh tomato and some corn on the cob are sadly lacking but that will be addressed at tomorrow's local farmers' market.  There's more chicken and plenty more potato salad for then!

IMG_3221.jpg

• Like 8

that's it

all you need

and IP and a CSB.

I could tell that Thigh was CSB'd  it the only skin Ive ever had that has those little bubbles on the skin

crispy, delicous.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Cooked up a big pot full of ratatouille. Eggplants, bell peppers, zucchini (pre-salted) and onion, all chopped and sauteed over high heat individually until nicely browned yet firm (except the eggplant, it should definitely not be served firm). Then I chopped up tomatoes and briefly cooked them with garlic, thyme and oregano. All vegetables were stirred in, then flavored with parsley, tarragon, basil and black pepper, then a glug of balsamic vinegar. Served warm with toasted baguette.

20160701_135732.jpg

I was gifted with some funky looking eggplants, which made their way into it.

20160701_114520.jpg

• Like 12

~ Shai N.

53 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Absolutely LOVE Ratatouille and yours looks wonderful. :x

Thank you very much. It's ratatouille peak season :)

I'm traumatized by my workplace's cafeteria "ratatouille" - a bunch of over cooked, 2 inch large, chunks of eggplants, onions, zucchini and peppers, swimming in a watery soup of tomatoes and oil, flavored with an indistinguishable mash of semi-random spices. I just had to compensate for this sad experience.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

Ratatouille, what has saved my not-quite-vegetarian but very food issuey mother from starvation many a time :) (she has gone through waves of everything from vegan up via extreme dieting of the Ryvita and apple variety but is currently sort of pesci but will do parma ham but no dairy fats ever OMG. She is tricky to cook for, in part because it's sort of random where she is on the cycle. I usually aim for good fish protein, well cooked with lots of herb flavour and no dairy.  Shame as she's a great cook in her own right and does have a really good palate. Somehow enjoying food got metaphorically beaten out of her (although she does enjoy it if you present it to her - last time was a good quality Chinese restaurant in London with simple steamed dishes and lots of seafood). I think she has just forgotten how to enjoy it if she cooks it. The last meal I saw her really enjoy was some beautiful very simple but well cooked goats cheese quiche and salad when I stole her away for a garden visit one day. Her husband is a meat and two veg guy who I am not even sure notices that she doesn't eat the protein but will complain if she cooks something different for herself ...).

TL:DR Ratatouille is a great dish if done well :) I think I am channelling worrying about having to deal with my picky vegetarian friend this weekend :)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tere said:

I think I am channelling worrying about having to deal with my picky vegetarian friend this weekend :)

Hi Tere,

You said over in the Gardening thread that you had a plan (and I respect that) but also mentioned you will miss pursuing your interest in Lebanese, Indian and Mexican cuisines. I can't help at all on Lebanese, but Southern India has an ancient and rich all pure vegetarian food culture. There are also many vegetarian dishes in Mexican food, and everything can be toned down on the heat level. Contrary to popular belief, not every single person of Mexican or Indian heritage enjoys spicy hot foods.

In the Mexican area there is Chile Rellenos, Huevos Rancheros, bean and cheese or spinach and cheese burritos, bean, cheese and salad tostadas, chips with cheese, bean or salsa dip, cheese or veggie enchiladas, quesadillas with mushrooms or other veggies, meatless Spanish Rice, and don't forget zucchini and avacado. I think you could put on quite an impressive and delicious Mexican spread within your vegetarian, no spicy parameters, if you chose to.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

A small serving of one of my favortie sandwiches:

Sirene cheese, roasted bell peppers, pesto, oil cured olives and plenty of black pepper. All warmed up in a well toasted bun.

I keep both peppers and pesto in the freezer for such times of need.

20160701_201533.jpg20160701_201555.jpg

Watermelon with sirene cheese and mint. Exactly what I needed on this hot afternoon.

20160701_220329.jpg

• Like 11

~ Shai N.

10 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Hi Tere,

You said over in the Gardening thread that you had a plan (and I respect that) but also mentioned you will miss pursuing your interest in Lebanese, Indian and Mexican cuisines. I can't help at all on Lebanese, but Southern India has an ancient and rich all pure vegetarian food culture. There are also many vegetarian dishes in Mexican food, and everything can be toned down on the heat level. Contrary to popular belief, not every single person of Mexican or Indian heritage enjoys spicy hot foods.

In the Mexican area there is Chile Rellenos, Huevos Rancheros, bean and cheese or spinach and cheese burritos, bean, cheese and salad tostadas, chips with cheese, bean or salsa dip, cheese or veggie enchiladas, quesadillas with mushrooms or other veggies, meatless Spanish Rice, and don't forget zucchini and avacado. I think you could put on quite an impressive and delicious Mexican spread within your vegetarian, no spicy parameters, if you chose to.

Yeah. She's not very into "weird" food though so I do have to double check. I'm going for the familiar as I am sure it will get eaten. She's basically a meat and two veg girl without the meat. However tomato crustless quiche, garlic bread and a Baltic style sour cream salad was all eaten at lunchtime, so fingers crossed I'm on the right track! :D 

• Like 1

IMG_6755.JPG

Fagiolini corallo in umido (Romano beans stewed with tomato and onion), fried egg

IMG_6723.JPG

Radishes braised with honey and black pepper

Recipe for the beans will be posted in the "My Kitchen in Rome" thread.

For the radishes:

IMG_6708.JPG

You will need:

2 tbsp. olive oil

1-2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed

1/2 lb. radishes, trimmed and quartered

1 tbsp. honey

1 tsp. cracked black pepper

2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar

sea salt

IMG_6714.JPG

Warm oil in a pan over medium-high heat.  Add garlic and half of the radishes; saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.

IMG_6717.JPG

Add the honey and black pepper.  Honey should caramelize, after about 1 minute.  Then add the cider vinegar, the remaining radishes and a pinch of salt.

Cook until radishes are warmed through but not yet completely softened.  Serve immediately.

Edited by ProfessionalHobbit (log)
  • Like 8