• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

I have a mitt load of lemon cucumbers in my fridge vegetable draw.  They are being picked small.  Used four in our lunch times salads.  We also shared a plate of flat breads topped with charred eggplant and pickled beets.  So healthy!xDDSC01566.jpgDSC01567.jpg

• Like 14

Mortadella, kimchi and pickled zucchini ribbons sandwich. Cucumber pickles and the first out of a gifted jar of stuffed sweet peppers. They are stuffed with cabbage, which frankly didn't sound that good, but are interestingly good in a sweet and sour way.

HC

IMG_1608.JPGIMG_1612.JPG

• Like 12

Lunch out with a friend yesterday.  I had a panino with grilled salmon, pesto, grilled zucchini ribbons and caramelized onion on focaccia.  It was really good. Sorry the blurry phone photo doesn't do it justice.  

IMG_3283.jpg

Limoncello gelato for dessert.  They make their own.

IMG_1024.jpg          

The restaurant is primarily an Italian pastry shop and their pastries are both beautiful and delicious. It is owned by 2 brothers from Tuscany, one of whom recently went to the final round on the "Next Food Network Star" or whatever that silly show is called.  I didn't know that until after lunch, which is probably a good thing.  In any case,  I felt very noble for limiting myself to the gelato but I should at least have taken some photos of the pastry case to share with you.  Next time. 

• Like 10

I took the leftover tomato,  cucumber and onion salad and turned it into a kind of gazpacho with the immersion blender. Added a little sour cream. Quite refreshing. Had it with a little stuffed sweet pepper.

HC

IMG_1637.JPG

Edited by HungryChris
sp (log)
  • Like 15

Got a few things at the market for lunch and dinner. I love smoked things so standing in front of these kind of stalls is always agonising. I had some hard choices to make here.

How much fat can I eat today...? Hmmm...

QNkjnUU.jpg

The same salmon belly on the plate. All these smoked things smell so instense.

P2LAjil.jpg

The sprats (next to the salmon) are also nice.

wjCURNt.jpg

Stallholders make their own gherkins and guard the recipes closely. My acquaintances say customers have their own favourite gherkin makers and are loyal to them.

1mRS8vL.jpg

Gratuious photos of beautiful Tallinn (unfortunately, it is extremely extremely touristy).

Almost like the printed photo...

CxID6Ca.jpg

Being there! I mean here. There are more towers around the old town along the wall but these are most photographed ones.

b8lB7Ju.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 18

Black rye bread with butter was my lunch. Plus a beer and sea buckthorn berries.

Found the bakery, got the bread and hurried back to eat it whilst still warm. Bakery also has beer made for them (I didn't know that!). Each loaf weighs about 850gr. According to Estonians this bakery's black bread is held in high honour.

Jjh0fPy.jpg

Hard to find the bakery but I did find it! There's a simple counter where one can get the bread and beer to go.

5eub7eR.jpg

• Like 12

Bread and beer to go. I like that. What was the texture like? Can you show a photo of the crumb? They look like they might have been made in a Pullman loaf pan. And the taste? (I don't suppose you could ask them for their recipe. But wouldn't that be nice?)

Has a fine crumb, very chewy, a bit airy, just a bit sweet, moist but not sticky. Seeds I can identify are lin, poppy, coriander and sunflower kernels. I like the crusty top quite a bit.

The bread is served with every savoury meal in this country. (Apparently,) if you accidentally drop it on the floor, you pick it up, kiss with with respect and eat it! Memories of years of living in destitution still remain so vividly in the mind.

Didn't occur to me to ask for the recipe. Seems like the kind of place where you order, pay and bugger off. They go straight back to work.

Omre70o.jpg

WEFKWEQ.jpg

• Like 13

Another summer dish to suit the weather - Caprese pasta salad with fresh mozzarella; basil leaves, some of which pounded thin to better disperse the flavor; olive oil, toasted pine nuts and cherry tomatoes.

20150706_204305.jpg

• Like 12

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

I have made many, many kimchi pancakes but this is the first one I have managed to completely mutilate. Still tasted fine. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks to @Thanks for the Crepes who posted a link to a collection of recipes, and frequent mentions by @shain, here is a Shakshuka with red peppers and cumin (Yotam Ottolenghi), with a little organic yoghurt on the side.

Shakshuka with red peppers and cumin (Yotam Ottolenghi)

I had two red bell peppers from my CSA that I needed to use, so this was good timing. Everything else was basic pantry items.

The dish itself is pretty good, but honestly now I have a serious craving for piperade which I find I little more interesting (of course I am biased... I grew up with that stuff).

Edited by FrogPrincesse
fixed typo (log)
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, shain said:

@FrogPrincesse Looks very tasty! Though I always prefer tahini sauce over yogurt as a topping for it. I've never heard of piperade before, do you add eggs/meat to it? Google left me with no clear answer.

Piperade is a dish from the Basque region of France, near Spain. It's bell peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and piment d'espelette (a chili pepper from that region), slowly cooked. The bell peppers are cut into strips rather than diced. It's usually served with eggs or ham. And then leftovers are wonderful reheated or cold; I think it actually tastes better the next day.

• Like 3