• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

image.jpeg

A most uncomposed salad. I think the shutter must have scattered the elements.xD Did not look nearly so messy in real life. Beets, oranges, blue cheese and a bowl of home made tortilla crisps. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N  

nice.  how did you do the beets  ?  IP'd ?

Ive got some nice large ones I'll IP tomorrow

Head on over to the Instant Pot thread and I'll sing you a (sad) song about beets. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@HungryChris

we need a new catchphrase

Everything goes better with butter, bacon or kimchi. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 2:25 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Ahhh, figs and blue cheese - a match made in heaven!  

Stuff the figs with the cheese and drape with a thin slice of prosciutto then bake.....

Lunch yesterday was an ice cold Dr. Pepper.  I rarely if ever drink soda but I was craving that unique taste.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

59 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Stuff the figs with the cheese and drape with a thin slice of prosciutto then bake.....

Lunch yesterday was an ice cold Dr. Pepper.  I rarely if ever drink soda but I was craving that unique taste.

Have not had a Dr. Pepper in years.  If I start craving one now I will know who to blame.:D

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

@suzilightning

an ice cold Dr. Pepper.  I rarely if ever drink soda but I was craving that unique taste. "

i also almost never drink soda.  however, Dr. Pepper  ( diet -- o.O ) ice old has its place.

in my area , late spring and late summer , Big-Coca sells its 12 can packs of the Dr. for about $ 1.00.   

I pick up several if I remember.  I guess they see this a discounted CrackCola  ( all varieties ) to set the Addiction in early

for some of us

• Like 1

Fetteh. Yogurt, mixed with hot and creamy chickpeas, toasted pita pieces. Spiced with garlic, cumin, chili and sumac. Topped with juices from a squeezed tomato, mint, parsley, toasted nuts (cashew and almonds), a little peppery olive oil and more sumac. Some of the pita keep crispy and some gets soft, soaking in the juices.

20150815_121229.jpg

• Like 7

~ Shai N.

image.jpeg

intended to have my leftover vegetables for breakfast but life got in the way so here they are with some kimchi in a Korean pancake. I did not make the traditional dipping sauce because I much prefer a simple sauce of half soy sauce and half black vinegar. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, shain said:

Fetteh. Yogurt, mixed with hot and creamy chickpeas, toasted pita pieces. Spiced with garlic, cumin, chili and sumac. Topped with juices from a squeezed tomato, mint, parsley, toasted nuts (cashew and almonds), a little peppery olive oil and more sumac. Some of the pita keep crispy and some gets soft, soaking in the juices.

20150815_121229.jpg

Damn, that looks wonderful! Winds up being served room temp to slightly warm, with the combo of cold yogurt and hot chickpeas?

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This weekend (and finally, finally, finally the sun!):

The mushrooms sank. There were lots in this.

bfEbKE9.jpg

Smoked pork belly brought back from Tallinn. A whole 2.5kg piece in vacuum seal bag. Estonian customs did 2 swab tests on my bag and laptop each. They didn't know what it was and wanted to open all my things anyway. I said "Speck" when asked then suddenly they lost all interest and let me go. (Mwahaha...)

The mouse

3rNwpQH.jpg

Gutted that I left 2kg of these behind in the fridge in Tallinn.

vwQBJt4.jpg

0fL4iOg.jpg

Now I just pay eur.4 for 100gr here at home. Have 600gr in my possession this weekend.

psbRw2Z.jpg

Inside thin, folded fried eggs.

RfRcUo9.jpg

What it looks like from above

53RXjWh.jpg

I'm no ploughwoman but I eat like one. That's my cheesecake, blue Stilton. Some Köfte spice mix is in the lamb mince. The 2 little loaves in the tins are the same thing, just enclosed.

FcCnFEw.jpg

The same smoked pork belly in one of the photos above. Looks a little like Turkish pide with lamb mince? From leftover bits of mince and pastry. I forgot the gherkins...

UXpHf5A.jpg

• Like 14

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Damn, that looks wonderful! Winds up being served room temp to slightly warm, with the combo of cold yogurt and hot chickpeas?

Thank you! I actually prefer to gently heat the yogurt up to room temperature, so that the dish is quite warm, but that is up to personal taste.

I'm quite (too much) fixed on having my food hot. 

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

7 hours ago, shain said:

20150815_121229.jpg

Well that's very 'Middle-Easternie". Looks delicious.  Love the flavour combos.

• Like 2

I love fetteh.  My favorite version, in Egypt, involves chicken but is otherwise similar.  Iit seems a great way to use stale pita and a lot of healthful ingredients.  It's nice to see another version, in another land.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

I love fetteh.  My favorite version, in Egypt, involves chicken but is otherwise similar.  Iit seems a great way to use stale pita and a lot of healthful ingredients.  It's nice to see another version, in another land.

Thank you. Fetteh is sadly not common here in Israel, and I have only heard of one place that serves it. The range of variations of this dish is quite wide (and worth an image search too see). My version is a mish-mash of recipes, adjusted to my taste. 

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

Raining and I'm working, so needed to scrabble together lunch from the fridge.

psalad n eggs.jpg

Leftover German potato salad, warmed in the microwave, topped with a couple of poached egg yolks, most of the whites drained away (and I managed to break BOTH yolks, dammit). This is a keeper. I'll do it again. Possibly tomorrow.

• Like 11

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 8/14/2016 at 0:35 PM, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

intended to have my leftover vegetables for breakfast but life got in the way so here they are with some kimchi in a Korean pancake. I did not make the traditional dipping sauce because I much prefer a simple sauce of half soy sauce and half black vinegar. 

My wife makes a similar sauce for her grilled salmon (I call it her crack sauce) - she substitutes on occasion vinegar (or sometimes adds, depending on fancy) for Ontario maple syrup.

• Like 1

Over on the Instant Pot thread, I reported making a "Hasselback" roast pork loin with peaches, prosciutto and sage.  I've been enjoying leftover pork sandwiches on some little slider rolls.  Most were picked up off the cutting board and consumed in a few bites.  

I took a moment to document one of them today:

IMG_3544.jpg

The rolls were toasted and spread with whole grain mustard and some red bell pepper and ancho chili jam.  Below the roast pork, you can make out a bit of the roast peach slice in the center and if you look closely, you can see the very thin piece of prosciutto on top of the pork.   

• Like 14

Salami grinder and iced coffee.

We lost water, phone, wifi, television and a few TVs last Saturday in a bad electrical storm. I hope to be back to normal this afternoon. I am posting this from Panera Bread near home. What a pain!!!

HC

IMG_1790.JPGIMG_1789.JPG

• Like 11

Forgot to take a photo of yesterday's lunch because I was starving when I fixed it: A bacon, tomato and homemade pimiento cheese sandwich, on homemade whole wheat toast. Quite good.

@rotuts, on your advice I grabbed a jar of the Aldi mayonnaise (I forget the brand name, and the label fell off). It does indeed taste a dead ringer for Hellman's. Thanks for that tip!

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.