• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

34 minutes ago, rarerollingobject said:

Whisk together 2 tbsp of gochujang, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, 2 tbsp of honey and a clove or two of crushed garlic in a small bowl; separate some yolks and slip them into the bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 2 nights. Swirl the bowl gently from time to time to make sure the tops get covered in the marinade. That's it.

Other times I just use one or two tablespoons of soy sauce and an equal quantity of mirin, for a plainer but no less delicious version.

Thanks! Going to try this!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On March 20, 2016 at 8:18 AM, rotuts said:

@Okanagancook  

very nice looking piece of meat.

on the 'whole' pic there doesn't seem to be a 'cap'

but on the Plate Pic  it reappears

what it sold separately ?

HC :  Yep.  my wood stove is back in High Gear.

I didn't see your question until now.  The cap must have been hiding as the roast was sold hold.

Veal schnitzels with lemon. I pound the veal and let it sit in beaten egg and lemon juice. Coat with a mix of panko, breadcrumbs and chopped parsley, then shallow fry with onion and sage. 

Served with those cold start chips again (eternally grateful for that idea) and a small salad.

image.thumb.jpeg.a23ceccf1619923ece085e0

• Like 16

Yesterday's fish share was pollock.  Pollock is my least favorite of all the fishes we get from the share, and we always get it at least once per 8-week cycle.  I am always trying to think of really flavorful things to do with it to get past its bland flavor and watery texture.  I went with a standby and made Thai style fish cakes.  This worked well with the fish. This is my plate, my husband and brother in law each ate five, and probably would have had more if I had cooked more.

56f1d3cee166b_thaifishcakes.thumb.jpg.e6

• Like 16

Dinner tonight was a go of rice and a bowl of kimchi, bottle of Stone Ruination #2.  Glass of Jade 1901 to refresh the palate.

Any excuse to lie with the green fairy.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.thumb.jpeg.405060a7a0f03434746f62a

sweet and Spicy Braised Cabbage (from The Kitchn) done in the Instant Pot. To ensure that this was a balanced meal I finished it up with the last of the Hagen Daz coffee ice cream straight from the carton. 9_9

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I promised @Rotuts a look at my finished meat ( s/p/garlic powder) .  Sorry no internal shot..

Just a nice hot Weber at first  @ 600 F and then  drop the temp to finish

25673021980_cfbafeb93f_k.thumb.jpg.bd5fd

Side salad beets/ balsamico/ goat cheese/Rocket.  White pepper/ Pink salt

Cucumbers in lime juice

25340902124_f02ee9034b_k.thumb.jpg.a71f6

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 18

Its good to have Morels

PB

you are just killing me here.

next time  a Cut Shot

I guess i should be pleased there are no seriously good butchers near me.

but from time to time, what's ive seen on your gill should be on mine.

• Like 1

A new adventure for me last night -- zucchini lasagna. Got out the mandoline and sliced two medium zucchini into about 1/4 inch slices, lengthways, and roasted those with a little olive oil, salt and pepper for 20 minutes at 400F. Drained water off the baking sheet. Used a pint of my tomato-garlic sauce plus a half-pint of plain tomato sauce to cut the garlic level (I went a bit overboard on the garlic when I canned that batch...). Layers of sauce, zucchini, grated mozzarella, grated parmigiano. Baked the whole works for another 30 minutes at 375F.

56f2acc0d264c_zucchinilasagna.JPG.418ebd

It was watery, but very good; it'll go in the regular rotation. Will have to see if I can figure a way to get more water out of the zucchini next time.

Served with oven sweet potato fries dusted with smoky paprika, and asparagus. Very healthy dinner.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Wow, monkfish has appeared in Spokane twice in recent months.  So, roasted monkfish with fingerling potatoes and "petit pois a'la Francsaise."-Peas braised with lettuce.  I've found a taste for cooked lettuce and in fact, I plan on pairing braised asparagus, peas and butter lettuce for the Easter dinner.

IMG_0115.JPG.9ce01e9820ef47b9185b8228839

• Like 14

I thawed the Atlantic croakers I bought at Today Asia Market the other day last night in the fridge. They still were slightly frozen when I got ready to cook tonight, but that is what I like to do with fish, and finish thawing while washing in water right before cooking. I roasted them whole in a hot oven with olive oil, thinly sliced onion, crushed garlic massaged in and then just salt, pepper and parsley. This was served with an antipasto salad with spring mix, tomatoes, onion, calamata olives, pepperoncini peppers, ham, salami, and hard boiled egg. I also heated some Turkish pide bread and served with butter.

I had not had ocean croakers before, and the fish monger assured me that they were bony but very tasty like the fresh water croaker I used to catch. I agree, but I think the fresh water ones, while even bonier (and this is quite a feat), are even tastier. If you have some patience, either variety of croaker is a delicious fish choice.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

I bought Meera Sodha's Made In India for my daughter for her birthday. So, of course, before I wrapped and mailed it I tried out a few recipes. I had already made the chicken curry and the naan since those recipes were included in the NYTimes article (that's where I first heard of the book). This time I made 3 from the "snacks" section - chicken tikka,spiced potatoes tikki and chaat salad. The sauce on the potatoes is yogurt, mint, lemon juice and a little sugar. The salad has cucumber, radish, scallions, chickpeas fried with mustard seed and chili powder, coconut,cilantro and chaat masala. It was supposed to have pomegranate seeds too but there were none available in local stores. I could have driven to Wegman's in Ithaca or Syracuse and found some but I took a nap instead and added some dried cranberries. 9_9 I missed the pomegranate but it was still good. I'm ordering a copy of the book for myself.

DSC00827.thumb.jpg.49bb211ed24141c481d3e

Tuesday night: Mahi-mahi roasted with citrus zest and juice, topped with mustard - lemon juice vinaigrette. With grilled asparagus and rice.

DSC00824.thumb.jpg.986c22110e5dc45497598

• Like 10

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Two crostini from Smitten Kitchen were supposed to be a starter....but ended up being dinner as both needed to be tested with and without the homemade ricotta....on toasted and untoasted bread.....with white wine or red?

IMG_2671.thumb.jpg.949c7ffe564eeb46e105d

Roasted grape and olive crostini (best on toasted bread WITH ricotta and the very inexpensive TJ's Hungarian Grüner Veltliner) and slow roasted tomatoes and garlic (best on untoasted bread, no ricotta, but drizzled with olive oil and the TJ's Reserve Syrah, Paso Robles, Lot #100, 2013)

• Like 17