• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

Steamed roe and pork mince. All 3 have different seasoning and extra ingredients. The one with Sichuan fermented bean curd in chilli oil is most popular in my house. Not pictured is simple stir-fried mixed mushrooms with Sichuan chilli peppers in oil.

uK3aLUN.jpg

I ate an extra fermented bean curd just like this one on the side

n7y41wN.jpg

Another one of the three

YN2vTWY.jpg

• Like 4

@BonVivant

The food looks lovely but it is the enamelled baking dishes that are making my heart beat faster.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Cream of greens soup, apologies in advance to the person who can't abide celery.

Sweated onions, celery, broccoli and potatoes in chicken stock with a few crushed fennel seeds. Puréed with a stick blender and topped with natural yoghurt and a few snipped garlic chives.

Served with toasted sourdough spread with prawn and garlic butter.

image.thumb.jpeg.fd8d4a584e96dfea1323754image.thumb.jpeg.c728f53a9d2219227d39e36

• Like 14

Anna N, they are common in the UK (where I got them, in Bakewell to be precise). I'm a fan of enamel cookware, especially by Riess of Austria (classic design only). Riess made enamelware is beautiful and the quality is high.

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

What wood do you use for smoking pork what wood for chicken, if you smoke chicken? Hickory is the easiest to come by here and is fine for pork IMO, but a bit too harsh for chicken. I use hickory for salmon, but would like to try alder and a few others if I could find some.

I have a pellet smoker so I use a pellet made of a wood blend of Maple, Hickory and Cherry.  I used to use a blend of Apple, Maple, Cherry and Hickory but this new blend is from a different supplier.  Some of us who live near each other bought about a ton and half on group buy and it worked out a lot cheaper.  I can't say that I have noticed a difference in the taste.

I assume you are not using a pellet smoker, but using real wood or chips.  You can get yourself one of these: http://www.amazon.com/A-MAZE-N-Pellet-Tube-Smoker-6/dp/B00IXMPW5K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1458165431&sr=8-3&keywords=amazen+smoker and use pellets which are available in a wide variety of woods.  Just be sure the pellets you get are the real woods, not a base wood like oak or alder and then "flavored" with oil.  This company http://bbqrsdelight.com/ offers an amazing selection of pellets in large and small quantities.

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@liamsaunt   

Rats.  sooooooo delicious looking  [ed.: as always}

and Id bet more that that tasty-Wise.

im going to have to demand in the future not so much  the ' ignore user'  

which we seem to have

but   ""    Under No Circumstance's  what so ever   """

show me ""  This Person's Pics ""

you might get very high on the list !

smiley-smile.gif

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.1ead6a26e13b37c0710368aVery tasty but not very photogenic!  A simple egg curry made with a purchased (Patak's)  curry paste  and frozen spinach. Served it with a crusty baguette against all tradition.  

• Like 12

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Patak ?  I love Patak !

I won't telly you how many jars i have in the basement, so I won't

Simmer Sauce ?

decent as long as you don't simmer in it.   Nice if you like those flavors, and did your Meats and Veg  either SV  ( meats ) or steamed  ( veg )

just saying.

We had our annual March corned beef dinner tonight.  My corned beef takes two weeks to cure but I have done it in less time.  We had soda bread with whiskey butter, cabbage with a balsamic reduction, carrots, rutabagas and corned beef.  We also had smashed potatoes but they were still in the oven when I took these pictures.

DSCN3354_zpsz6a8bpmx.jpg

DSCN3353_zps1tcueqjk.jpg

DSCN3351_zpsi0tfnqov.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Patak ?  I love Patak !

I won't telly you how many jars i have in the basement, so I won't

Simmer Sauce ?

decent as long as you don't simmer in it.   Nice if you like those flavors, and did your Meats and Veg  either SV  ( meats ) or steamed  ( veg )

just saying.

Not a simmer sauce but a curry paste (korma).  I normally make my Indian dishes from scratch but today was grateful to have this on hand and found it to be quite decent.  

My 2004 eG Blog

Being healthy tonight, in preparation for overindulging tomorrow night on corned beef and trimmings.

cod.thumb.JPG.8fc10d02951af585b43d592750

Miso-glazed cod with scallions and sesame seeds; rice cooked with furikake; steamed buttered snow peas.

• Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

First time cooking in a few days. Chicken legs with shallots, olives, chilli pepper, thyme, coriander leaf/cilantro, fresh straw mushrooms and rice.

IMG_7867.jpg.86349013acd0493c55362098136

Apologies for the picture quality. I ate rather late and the light in my kitchen isn't great for photographs. Also, the dish was still steaming hot.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

My jerk chicken is not photogenic and lacked the oddly addictive heat of the real thing. The jalapeno peppers just didn't measure up, but the flavor was pretty good. Nothing close to Patricia's Beach Bar on Tortola or Cuzzin's in St. Thomas, but still not bad.

HC

IMG_0403.thumb.JPG.85c24562a71a7573820b1  

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 9

On 3/15/2016 at 6:22 PM, sartoric said:

Nonya chicken curry with potatoes and zucchini.

Served with rice, pickled cucumbers, roti bread and papaya chutney.

image.thumb.jpeg.e9586db9aaeeafbfd3af1c8

Which "nonya chicken curry" did you riff off of? Just curious. (There are more than one "nonya chicken curry"; and "nonya xxx" usually does not mean a single kind of whatever, in a broad sense.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, huiray said:

Which "nonya chicken curry" did you riff off of? Just curious. (There are more than one "nonya chicken curry"; and "nonya xxx" usually does not mean a single kind of whatever, in a broad sense.)

I guess you could call it my Nonya curry.

i have a book by Celia Tan called Penang, Nonya Cooking - Food of my childhood. That's where the ideas come from, aided largely by what's in the fridge and pantry.

This one had a paste of onion, ginger, garlic, tumeric and lemongrass fried off, Ayam brand Malaysian curry powder, dried shrimps, a stem of curry leaves, coconut milk, fish sauce and palm sugar. :)

• Like 2

@sartoric   

from your site :

""  Small potatoes were cooked a few days ago, and now get lightly crushed, sprinkled with oil, seasoned and baked in the hot oven in a separate small dish. After 20 minutes I throw in a few diced tomatoes and some fresh thyme. ""

wow.  Im adopting this one.  might be a nice way to use  'not-so-ripe' supermarket tomat's

smiley-money-mouth.gif.3aa8aaf56a6f21b61

• Like 4

For some reason which I haven't worked out, I was given a bunch of duck jaws the other day.

56ec0b4a39f9f_duckjaws.jpg.eaeb769d1eaa0

Not being of the duck jaw eating tendency, I used them along with some other duck bits in the freezer to make a duck stock. I had no particular plan for the stock other than not waste stuff.

Tonight I used the stock as the base of a noodle dish. 

Fresh ramen noodles in duck broth with shallots, pickled chilli, Shanghai bok choy, coriander/cilantro, scallions, duck breast and boiled egg (duck egg, of course).

56ec0ab69d034_duckramen1.jpg.c0b89dd501b

Happy mouth.

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto