• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

2 hours ago, HungryChris said:

.....OK, Just take a seat and relax on the sofa for a bit. Now let's start with your childhood....how would you say that went, on whole.....

I am guessing that you just are just not fond of tomato juice or that you are a tomato juice purist?

HC

As a beverage, tomato juice is definitely not one of my favorite things.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@ElsieD I liked them both.  It wasn't quite fair because one was a point cut and one a flat cut but they were both good.  The SV'd one was the point and it was SO tender.  But, the IP one (flat cut) was super tender, also.  We like corned beef a lot so I guess we just aren't too picky :) .

Sitting here laughing out loud about the Bloody Mary debate xD.  I like a good Mary...I like Caesars better.  But, I'd just as soon have a red beer (made with my garden 'mater juice of course).

I LOVE calamari.  I think I have some frozen ...Chris... maybe I'll just have you make it for me lol.

RRO-Great looking burger.  I've never had Shake Shack.  

I froze the muffaletta fixings that I had left over from Fat Tuesday.  Decided to make one for dinner last night.  I actually made two so my husband could take one along on a journey he's taking.

Needed some deviled eggs, too.  Fries were also made.

P3181202.JPG.56c6578a89e45d703300151e055

P3181206.JPG.57c4429d28388a3c9a8a4daf583

• Like 12

Tonight was meant to be last night. I had just popped the chicken breast into the brine for an hour or two when I got the call. Call me weak, but when your best friend, a beautiful woman, suggests abandoning your plan for a lonely dinner for one and joining her instead...

So. I stuck brining chicken in the fridge and went off for a lovely meal of sushi and sashimi. We like that!

So this evening I rescued chicken from the fridge after its 24 hour brine and cooked it by the 1-10-10 method, which I swear by. Boiled a large spud and made some mayonnaise for a potato salad with scallions. Made another salad with lettuce, carrot, mushroom, scallions and cherry tomatoes. Dressed the latter salad in an olive oil and Chinese rice vinegar vinaigrette. Served with some of the hard boiled pigeon eggs I was experimenting with earlier in the day.

The brine had left the chicken rather salty, so I cut back on the salt in the salads. It worked out OK.

Served with a bottle of 2010 Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico.

56ee8ac89a346_chickensalad.jpg.8dd9dc013

No complaints.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Simple salads and spaghetti with meat sauce last night. After weeks of nice weather, we had to climb back onto the firewood train the last few nights as temperatures dropped into the low twenties.

HC

IMG_0434.thumb.JPG.1513ff8550a78abfb99c9IMG_0432.thumb.JPG.3e110dc9c231da82aa56c

IMG_0212.thumb.JPG.6cbd454d662507b394434

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 10

I was feeling lazy last night and couldn't be bothered doing much, so I made a flammekuchen. There is a place we frequent that makes really good pita and I bought the dough from them.  Totally lazy,  totally good.

20160319_200144.jpg

• Like 14

Spring is getting in full gear.

Baked new potatoes in lemon peel, rosemary and garlic sauce, all ground together in a mortar and pestle with olive oil. Lemon juice, parsley, black pepper and capers added after baking.

20160318_143512.jpg.a65a82ac2efb4cfd940c 

Roasted romanesco with feta, peppers and lemon

20160311_141948.jpg.57e0e4613fd1d89d61b6

Also, not pictured are photogenic but tasty ground seitan balls in tomato sauce.

Salad with raw zucinni, bell pepper, arugala. Parsley and dill from the garden. Also picked some various edible (and tasty) flowers. Sauce made with yogurt, olive oil, a little honey, garlic, lemon juice.

20160318_143427.jpg.4fd1fe60ad313821521920160318_143435.jpg.3427872b1aa1ad4518a0

Parsley leaves get weirdly shaped (and seemingly more tender?) when flowering. Coriander has a similar thing happening, with the leaves turning dill-esque (not pictured).

20160318_141007.jpg.b5da4f49336a754aa4e3

• Like 11

~ Shai N.

Biggest chunk of monkfish I've ever had, 900g. I got the thickest part of the tail this time and not a whole one, that would be to much (both the fish and the cost).

Seared then roasted in the oven. First brushed with garlic-chilli oil. Plus lots of mushrooms (sauteed together with Speck).

iFMPkQ5.jpg

HQOh6Bf.jpg

• Like 13

@Paul Bacino  

Mr. Beef is Back!

wow.  some time ago when I used to visit my father, there was a Meat Shop in the local shopping center that aged its own sides.  from time to time

i was able to get some inside skits and pin-wheeled them and did them on a very hot grill each side then finished in a low oven.  they were from those aged sides.

these look even better.

congratulations !

many thanks for not showing me these Done to Perfection, and sliced on the plate.

I see these w baked idaho russets  ( not the biggest ones  -  2 - 3 smaller ones -- with ultra crispy skin    smaller potato's have a better skin / fluff ratio ) 

the usual trimmings, and some nice Fat Peeled Asparagus.

Ill be right over.  Rare for me.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Pick up some nice. .aged rib cap filets

20160320_145718.jpg

When is dinner and how far are you from Rt. 30 ........ohhhhh that's right not for a few weeks

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

6 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

When is dinner and how far are you from Rt. 30 ........ohhhhh that's right not for a few weeks

I'm in ABQ..nm..today.  but I do live 20 mins from HYW 30..   :)

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

13 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

I'm in ABQ..nm..today.  but I do live 20 mins from HYW 30..   :)

see you in a few weeks.....:D

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Sundays are always family meal.  We usually alternate between my Mom's house and my house, but lately it has always been at my house since my brother in law is temporarily living with us and my Mom's house it smaller and does not have enough seats for the large group.  I missed getting photos of the side dishes (cauliflower gratin, asparagus).  Giant ham (the celebration ham from Wegman's I think meant for Easter). Ignore the horrible counter and dishwasher in the background.  I have two kitchens and this one really needs a makeover.  

56ef27ccb01b7_celebrationham.thumb.jpg.4

and some of it sliced

ham.thumb.jpg.e2056e91b6087b15f7292f8d08

roast chicken for the ones who don't eat ham (myself included)

56ef27f33a3f8_roastchicken.thumb.jpg.427

a random Greek salad (with bacon!!??) that my Dad asked me to make because he hates asparagus this week. He dictated all of the ingredients and the dressing recipe too.  He took all the leftovers home so I guess he liked it :-)

56ef27d1b8214_greeksalad.thumb.jpg.ba69f

"party potatoes" from some Best American Recipes book.  Very meh if you ask me

56ef27e1a4f03_partypotatoes.thumb.jpg.7a

All the ham and the bone went home with my parents and brother, and the chicken caracsses are simmering to make stock for the soup my husband and I will eat while snowbound tomorrow.  My sister is bringing me some eggs in exchange for some of the soup (and not having to cook anything or clean up either haha). I like family meal Sundays.

• Like 15

@Paul Bacino, that is some gorgeous meat you got there. Rib eye is my favorite meat, and those look truly exceptional!

@HungryChris, thanks for reminding me to get myself to the seafood shop for some more oysters while the getting is good. The last time, my husband went without me, and brought back fried oysters. I forgot how much I really don't like them fried. It totally changes the flavor to me. I haven't had any in at least the seventeen years my husband and I have been together. Why he thought I meant fried when all I ever get is live ones is a mystery?

I made sort of a fall/winter meal as it has turned pretty chilly here again for the first day of Spring. I cut celery, white onion, a Russet potato, butternut squash and a McIntosh apple into rustic chunks and placed in my 3 qt. French white Corning Ware casserole. Drizzled with a cup of chicken stock and sprinkled salt and pepper and tossed. Placed a halved Cornish hen seasoned with chicken salt and pepper on top and dotted with butter. Baked covered for a half hour, then uncovered and baked another half hour. This made a good and pretty healthy dinner. Served with some warmed ciabatta for sopping the juices.

• Like 7

> ^ . . ^ <

10 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

@HungryChris, thanks for reminding me to get myself to the seafood shop for some more oysters while the getting is good. 

Thanks for the Crepes,

First day of spring indeed, winter storm alerts and all. Most folks buy salt for the walkways and so on, here is how I decided to prep for the storm:

HC

IMG_0436.thumb.JPG.1964295b77a02a50fae27

Oh and I almost forgot. I took three empty growlers to the local craft brewery to be filled with one of my favorite APAs too, just to play it safe.

IMG_0456.thumb.JPG.7cfcb1ab16c72e673774f

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 8

Dinner tonight was a bit of a hotchpotch. I started off with some salmon and tuna sashimi which I was to greedy to photograph.. Then some baby cuttlefish in a sweetish chilli sauce and finally the simplest dish I know how to cook other than a boiled egg, but a favourite with my friends. I finely chopped a couple of shallots and a Thai bird's eye chilli. Fry that briefly in the wok (sometimes I add some ginger, too but not today.) Throw in the clams with a splash of wine or water and stir until they open. As they open I lift them out and set aside until all are done, then add some oyster sauce to the wok, throw back the clams and stir till they are coated and warmed through.

cuttlefish.jpg.93b0c42a30a36dd8053de5537

Baby Cuttlefish

56efeb178798c_whiteclams.jpg.c04a2d6cbef

White shell clams (before cooking)

clams.jpg.f045e2f6c1e3b8dca4710b638df2ab

Clams in Oyster Sauce

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

We decided last night to fire up the Kamado Joe Jr for the first time.

56efeec5ca4c6_IMG_6992small.jpg.51255fbf

Organic Hereford rump steak from a farm less than a mile away, and chips (cooked in lazy mode at 190 degrees for 8 minutes from frozen, but still very crispy). Served with a rocket side salad with ponzu dressing.

Would cook again :)

56efeec81bc4c_IMG_6993small.jpg.f24822c8

• Like 14