• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

Korean sticky pork ribs (marinated in gochujang, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar and sugar) with stir fried water spinach and steamed rice.  Plus a side of kimchi  - my first attempt at making this - hailed a success by he who eats.

image.jpeg

The water spinach.

image.jpeg

The kimchi.

image.jpeg

The ribs.

• Like 13

@ricky ponting Looks delicious! This is a Chole bhature, right?

Being a vegetarian in Israel, the dish that I eat most often (well, other then chopped salad, but that is a side dish) is hummus. I have hummus every Sunday, and sometimes mid-week as well. Most Israelis, and I'm among them, go out to eat hummus, and don't make it themselves (this is because the cooking and preparation takes some time and knowledge, while buying it is quite cheap and often tastier). I usually make my own a few times a year.

This week the muse struck me and so I cooked some chickpeas to a paste in order to make hummus a couple of times in the upcoming days (once mixed with tahini and flavoring, hummus doesn't keep well at all).
This day was the first batch.
It was topped with whole chickpeas, tahini sauce with some garlic and lemon, parsley paste, cumin and very little olive oil (most people seems to like plenty of oil on their hummus, and while I do love the flavor of good EVOO, I find it to oily on my plate, so I usually skip it when ordering). The parsley paste is an idea of mine that I wanted to try, it helps release and spread the flavor better, without the annoying leaves that get stuck in your teeth :P  I think I'll keep using it.
On the side, intended to be put on top of the hummus to taste, I served `tatbila`, which is a sauce made of lemon, garlic, red chili, olive oil, cumin and parsley (this is my version, the common one is lemon, garlic and pickled chili), and red zhug (which I buy). 

20160401_113407.jpg20160401_113345.jpg20160401_113417.jpg20160401_115305.jpg

Also served cherry tomatoes, onion slices, olives and some very good pitas, bought straight from the factory's oven, which is near my hometown. Those are the best pita breads I know, they are made with some wholemeal wheat and rye, which gives them more taste and color, and yet they are fluffy, soft, and just slightly chewy. A mark of a good pita is being thick and fluffy, it should be like a good Neapolitan pizza crust, and almost melt in your mouth. Having a browned side (instead of charred in spots) is often a sign of a firm and over baked pita.

20160401_115339.jpg20160401_114638.jpg

I wrote quite more then I initially intended, so I'll stop here :)  If you have questions about "hummus culture" (a new term I just made up), please ask.

• Like 12

~ Shai N.

3 hours ago, sartoric said:

Korean sticky pork ribs (marinated in gochujang, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar and sugar) with stir fried water spinach and steamed rice.  Plus a side of kimchi  - my first attempt at making this - hailed a success by he who eats.

image.jpeg

The water spinach.

image.jpeg

The kimchi.

image.jpeg

The ribs.

If I may ask, what are the quantities of each ingredient you use for your ribs? 

• Like 3

@Anna N  Those portobellos look absolutely beautiful - and also delicious.

Last night was curried lentil soup, topped with yogurt (Fage whole milk Greek yogurt - my favorite), home made naan and salad.

DSC00867.jpg

DSC00868.jpg

Wednesday  was pasta with sausage, leeks and peas. And salad.

DSC00862.jpg

• Like 12

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

@liuzhou  Thank you. And they were perfect with the soup.This is just my second batch. The recipe is from Meera Sodhu's Made in India.

• Like 2

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Its between Lunch and Dinner so Im posting here.  no real reason.

I had a slight disappointment with the CSB for my last CSB Turkey Breast  ( skinless, tendon less ) w bacon on the top.   300 steam-bake for 30 min

ended up at 160 thermapen'd which is not the usual 140 Ive been accustomed to by this method.  If you follow SV  160 has expressed some Jus so it can be a bit dry.

this is of course my fault not the CSB';s   that's my story .

What to do with the 1 1/2 TB's I still have ?   there are standard here after all !

French Dip came up recently here, something I learned about over a summer I worked at a large cafeteria where I grew up

Lightning Flashed  ( some where  I think )  :  what about a Turkey  BLT  Dip ?

I sliced the Turkey thin, the bacon was not fresh and sizing and crispy, but from the top of the Turks.  sliced the tomato, some Window Green onion tops, and

some cucumbers said to be 1/2 sour from batempke.  they are cucumbers :

mise :

TBLT mise.jpg

toasted the sour dough bread.  mayo etc

made the Dip ( home assisted starting with Minors low salt turkey base, frozen ) plenty of Bell's etc to make it my own

TurkDip.jpg

I must say it worked out much better than I thought!  in spite of no 1/2 sours.   Cirispy bread   etc   turkey much better thin  nice dip

a winner for me !

Sadly, no ultra crispy Tot's were made as I didn't have any.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 8

The store had some nice meaty smoked ham hocks, so combined them with the leftover Easter ham bone,  navy beans and collards to have for dinner later today. Oh, also had corn bread, yeee haw.

{option}http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/DSCN3411_zpssuxoshhw.jpg[/IMG]

ps I see my pictures still aren't posting.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, ElsieD said:

If I may ask, what are the quantities of each ingredient you use for your ribs? 

@ElsieD roughly equal quantities (for this amount of ribs a tbs) of fish sauce, rice vinegar and brown sugar, a little more gochujang and a tsp of sesame oil. I added a half a cup of water to ensure they were submerged. 

41 minutes ago, sartoric said:

@ElsieD roughly equal quantities (for this amount of ribs a tbs) of fish sauce, rice vinegar and brown sugar, a little more gochujang and a tsp of sesame oil. I added a half a cup of water to ensure they were submerged. 

Thank you.   I'm going to try this next time I buy ribs.  I assume the tablespoon you are using is an Australian tablespoon which for us Canadians would equal 4 teaspoons? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you.   I'm going to try this next time I buy ribs.  I assume the tablespoon you are using is an Australian tablespoon which for us Canadians would equal 4 teaspoons? 

Yes, a tbs here is 20 ml. A tsp is 5 ml. It probably doesn't matter too much !

• Like 2

as a follow up to the Turkey Dip :   the dip tasted pretty much like turkey gravy.  it was not thickened

as i have two more of these sandwiches to make with the 160 turkey, I think the dip would work better if lighter, more like a turkey broth rather than a turkey

gravy.  I will add some freshly cooked bacon, sizzling and crispy at the last moment.

• Like 1

Some meals.

A nice salad.

DSCN8594bC_600.jpg

Spinach, curly-leaved broccolini, wong nga pak hearts, Persian cucumbers, parsley. Alziari ev olive oil, AgroDolce Bianco Delizia Estense, ground black pepper, Maldon sea salt.

Jamaican patties; from a bag of frozen uncooked ones [Patties of Jamaica]. With pickled cucumbers & scallions.

DSCN8590a_600.jpg

DSCN8588a_400.jpg

Pre-poached (水煮) bamboo shoots braised w/ pork ribs, garlic, awase miso, this-and-that. Eaten w/ min6 sin3 & blanched spinach.

DSCN8563a_600.jpg

On the way there:

DSCN8559a_600.jpg

Tôm sốt cà chua (shrimp in tomato sauce), with white rice.

DSCN8620a_600.jpg

On the way there:

DSCN8610aC-13a_600.jpg

Accompanied by cải làn xào tỏi (kai-lan stir-fried w/ garlic).

DSCN8606a_600.jpg

If details are desired email me.

• Like 7

Wednesday was sandwich night.  I made one with the remaining braised lamb from Easter, with cartelized onions, muenster cheese and sautéed greens

braised lamb.jpg

and for me, the same but with mushrooms instead of lamb

mushroom sandwich.jpg

and then Thursday I made lettuce cups

lettuce cups.jpg

• Like 12

22 hours ago, rotuts said:

Its between Lunch and Dinner so Im posting here.  no real reason.

I had a slight disappointment with the CSB for my last CSB Turkey Breast  ( skinless, tendon less ) w bacon on the top.   300 steam-bake for 30 min

ended up at 160 thermapen'd which is not the usual 140 Ive been accustomed to by this method.  If you follow SV  160 has expressed some Jus so it can be a bit dry.

this is of course my fault not the CSB';s   that's my story .

What to do with the 1 1/2 TB's I still have ?   there are standard here after all !

French Dip came up recently here, something I learned about over a summer I worked at a large cafeteria where I grew up

Lightning Flashed  ( some where  I think )  :  what about a Turkey  BLT  Dip ?

I sliced the Turkey thin, the bacon was not fresh and sizing and crispy, but from the top of the Turks.  sliced the tomato, some Window Green onion tops, and

some cucumbers said to be 1/2 sour from batempke.  they are cucumbers :

mise :

TBLT mise.jpg

toasted the sour dough bread.  mayo etc

made the Dip ( home assisted starting with Minors low salt turkey base, frozen ) plenty of Bell's etc to make it my own

TurkDip.jpg

I must say it worked out much better than I thought!  in spite of no 1/2 sours.   Cirispy bread   etc   turkey much better thin  nice dip

a winner for me !

Sadly, no ultra crispy Tot's were made as I didn't have any.

That looks zer gut rotus.

I marinated some chicken pieces in beer and garlic overnight, then fried in the cast iron pan and finished in the oven. A mushroom sauce was made with sweated spring onions and mushrooms in butter, flour, then the residual marinade. Served with creamy mashed potatoes and a radicchio salad.

The chicken.

image.jpeg

The salad.

image.jpeg

The meal.

image.jpeg

• Like 16

Tonight after finally finishing up leftovers from the delicious mesquite grilled chicken this week, we went to our seafood shop. The husband got his usual catfish fried at their store with tater tots, and I got a half peck of live oysters, 3/4 pound of wild caught large shrimp and a lovely slicer tomato. 

I've let the shop fry shrimp for me before, and it's good, but not my perfect fried shrimp, so I brought some better shrimp home in the shell to fry up here for myself. First I made a salad of about half the tomato and some spinach and ate that as a first course. Then I shelled and deveined the shrimp. I dusted it with flour seasoned with some salt and cayenne, and then fried it quickly in a couple batches in a 12" skillet, turning once. Now this is the way I love my fried shrimp! Just the merest bare dusting of seasoned flour, lightly fried and very well drained and blotted. Perfect with lemon wedges. It was worth the extra work and cleanup. I also ate some more of the flavorful tomato. I don't know where this shop gets its tomatoes, but they always have more flavor than the ones I can get at the grocery store. I was tempted to buy more, but I already have Roma and Scarlet Pearl grape tomatoes here to use up.

I couldn't finish all the shrimp, so I will get into the oysters tomorrow along with the leftover shrimp. I ate all of them except 5, and I have 4 left. I accidentally dropped one on the floor while tossing in paper towels, and so the coons got a special treat. I can see myself crying over it if I didn't know I had more than I was going to be able to eat anyway. :)

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <