• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 3)

shain

Pork tenderloin. sautéed , with red onion confit (onions, red wine, vinegar and honey), cider sauce with apples and bourbon (made with apple juice because its the wrong time of year for good cider), black rice and sweet potatoes with ginger and scallions (this was wonderful) and a salad (not shown).

DSC00889.jpg

• Like 11

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I have jokingly come to refer to this as "firehouse", "VFW" or "benefit" chicken dinner, but joke as I might, it is one of Deb's favorite meals. We are frequent cruisers and when this meal shows up on the ship menu, she is all over it. We recently went on a cruise in the western Caribbean and this meal never showed up on the menu so I decided to replicate it last night. Roast chicken, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, glazed carrots and giblet gravy.

IMG_0025.JPG

I like to take the big piece of chicken fat usually found just inside the body cavity, pound it out flat and make a little pocket under the breast skin and shove the flattened fat up in there to baste the breast as it roasts. You can just make it out under the breast skin on the upper left of this pic. This particular bird had a nasty rip in the breast skin which I attempted to repair with a little impromptu "field dressing".
IMG_0019.JPG
 I make a simple mixture of mayo, smoked paprika, garlic powder, assorted spices and Cholula or similar hot sauce and paint it all over the outside of the bird with a pastry brush.
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG

HC

Edited by HungryChris
added roasted garlic to the mashed potatoes (log)
  • Like 16

IMG_8778.jpg

Tonight, seafood spaghetti. Clams, wild prawns in shallot and chilli infused wine and olive oil..Instead of adding salt, on a whim, I added a few salty black fermented soy beans. Finished off with Chinese chives. And spaghetti.

IMG_8781.jpg

• Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Clams, wild prawns in shallot and chilli infused wine and olive oil..Instead of adding salt, on a whim, I added a few salty black fermented soy beans. Finished off with Chinese chives. And spaghetti.

I love that idea!  The first Chinese dish I learned to cook was squid and green bell peppers with fermented black beans and garlic.  I never thought of tweaking it into a noodle or pasta dish but I bet it would be great.  Thanks!

Edited by blue_dolphin
delete extra word (log)
  • Like 1

Last night I smoked a couple fillets of stealhead trout.  Did a quick 1.5-2 hr brine in an 10% salt and 5% brown sugar solution.

We ate  part of one fillet last night with pan caramelized broccoli in a soy glaze.  The rest of the trout was was tossed in the fridge and I made a fish salad with it this morning which was even better.  Finely diced  celery and multicolored mini sweet peppers were used and a mayo, mustard based dressing was made to pull it together. I would have included diced raw onion, but my wife hates onions or so she thinks

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 7

Last night I made chicken stew that I topped with deliberately overcooked puff pastry rounds.  We broke up the pastry into the stew while eating for some crunch.  I should have saved this meal idea for dinner tonight: it is pouring rain!

chicken stew.jpg

• Like 16

I made garden stuffed peppers tonight for me and served with toasted bread for both of us and a hamburger steak for my husband.

I started making these peppers over 40 years ago from a recipe in Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, but adapted it somewhat. I cook up lima beans from frozen, and add frozen corn at the end of cooking just to thaw. Meanwhile, I've sauteed chopped white onion in butter and added a couple chopped Roma tomatoes and a partial leftover regular tomato at the end just to soften it a little. I mix all these veggies together along with some of the bean liquor and the tomato juice and some salt and oregano. Then I stuff raw green halved bell peppers with it and bake it for 25 minutes. I top with plenty of grated colby-jack and return to the oven to melt the cheese. I really love these peppers, and they make a meal for me. My husband likes them too, but he still wants his meat.

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

I'm still exploring Meera Sodha's Made in India. Last night was mixed vegetables - leeks, snap peas, green beans, asparagus and peas with turmeric, mustard seeds, coriander, garlic,chili powder and salt. Also "badsha kitchari" - basmati rice and moong dal cooked with lots of onions, green chili, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, turmeric and cumin seeds. Cooked in vegetable stock. Topped with chopped almonds and yogurt. Both very good. I wish I had made some bread to go with. I like Julie Sahni's recipe for poori -"deep fried puffy breads". 

The kitchari was very like a spiced up version of mejedrah ( or mujaddara or mujadarrah or any one of a dozen other spellings. )

DSC00891.jpg

• Like 8

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

image.jpeg

SV'd pork chop, steamed broccoli and sauteed cherry tomatoes. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, shain said:

@Nicolai looks tasty. What makes a shakshuka Egyptian? 

What makes a Pizza American?

What makes a Wiener Schnitzel and its Italian counterpart, Cotoletta Milanese Austrian or Italian?

What makes a Shakshuka Egyptian? 

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind........

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

What makes a Pizza American?

What makes a Wiener Schnitzel and its Italian counterpart, Cotoletta Milanese Austrian or Italian?

What makes a Shakshuka Egyptian? 

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind........

I see what you mean, and yet shakshuka has versions from many countries, I am most familiar with the Tunisian version, which has cumin, paprika and loads of garlic. Spiced up with some chili. The Turkish shakshuka is called menemen and the eggs are mixed into the sauce. 

• Like 4

~ Shai N.