• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

Tonight was green chile and country style pork rib stew.. also made a simple white rice I served over it.  A dab of sour cream.   Hatch New Mexico Chiles, cooked with garlic, cumin, kaffir lime leaves, lime juice.. thickened with masa at the end.  

Browned, cooked for about 2.5 hours.. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 5

image.jpg

Sous vide lamb chops with pea puree and a side of sweet potato "mac n cheese".

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Life has been very hectic. Holiday travels, parties, work ------------------.

I have been eating well, cooking a lot, and enjoying all the spectacular creations by everyone. Just couldn't find time to post.

So here we go!

dcarch

Turkey legs, taro

turkeywings_zps448952d9.jpg

turkeywings2_zpse2e95c47.jpg

Prime rib

christmasprimeribs_zps38d61f8f.jpg

christmasprimeribs3_zps5d119e51.jpg

Curry pork

currypork2_zps24b1bec9.jpg

currypork_zps848ba20a.jpg

Smoked ribs

Newyearribs2_zps1437f173.jpg

Newyearribs_zpsbc885e1d.jpg

SV chicken

sousvideorganicchicken_zpsbaaf515c.jpg

• Like 9

dcarch:  how did you do those turkey legs ?

Yum

I smoked those legs.

Dcarch...you deep fried the SV chicken to brown the skin?

First I had to make a bag big enough for this big chicken. After SV, it got a hot bath similar to the Chinese roast duck. Then it went into the dehydrator to completely dry up the skin. Finally 500F baked in the oven.

Sounds complicated, but actually pretty easy. Each step required seconds of work.

dcarch

• Like 2

The barbecued beef brisket from Modernist Cuisine: smoked then cooked sous vide at 63C for 72 hours before being brushed with the MC team's take on Kansas City-style barbecue sauce. I was inspired to cook it after picking up some grass-fed brisket and short ribs (currently in the water bath) from a stall at the local farmer's market. Neither my cold smoker nor hot smoker can hold the prescribed temperature, so I just gave the brisket a short stint (just over an hour) in my hot smoker. The end result was a very nice piece of meat. The Kansas City-style sauce wasn't great, though. Not bad but not something I'd repeat. I'll check out their other sauces--I'm making the East Texas one to serve with the ribs--but I reckon a slightly modified version of my go-to brisket sauce might be better. I reckon I could reduce/thicken it into something I could brush onto the meat.

DSC_0018_zps7df77649.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 5

My husband had  The Masochist  Vindaloo, he is no longer complaining that my curries are too mild , yes it was painfully hot but he said the spices where balanced with the heat.  Me and little  one  had butter chicken and  that was good enough for us.

• Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Looks good. If you want to try some real KC BBQ sauce, here is one from one of the oldest ones in town.  When someone says "KC style" I always cringe a little. It usually has a lot of molasses in it. 

GATES BARBECUE SAUCE

1 C. Sugar

2 Tbs Garlic powder

1/4 C. Salt

1 Tbs Chili powder

2 TBS Celery seed

2 qts. Ketchup

2 TBS ground Cumin

2 C. cider vinegar

2T. red pepper

1 1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke

1 tsp. lemon Juice

In a small bowl combine sugar and salt.  Mix well and add celery seed, cumin, red pepper, garlic powder and chili powder.  Set aside.

2.  Combine ketchup, vinegar, liquid smoke and lemon juice.  Add dry mixture and mix well.  Serve at room temperature or warm.  Store in refrigerator 2-3 weeks or up to 6 months frozen.

And one I made in an attempt to duplicate Arthur Bryant's. People who compared the original to this say it's close.

Norm’s version of the original Arthur Bryant style sauce (no tomatoes)

1 C. cider vinegar

5 T. paprika

1/2 tsp. cayenne

1/ tsp chili powder

4 T. water

3/4 tsp. salt

2 T. Gouldens spicy brwon mustard

1/4 tsp. dry mustard

Combine, put in glass jar, cover; refrigerate a few days before using. 

Your take on barbecue sauce seems more my style. I like vinegar-based sauces much more than the sweet ones. The majority of commercially available sauces in Australia are very sweet. An increasing number are imported from the States but they're still mostly the sweet kind: I think because that's Australians assume barbecue sauce is by default sweet, that there are no other options. The Modernist Cuisine East Texas sauce, which I served with some short ribs last night, was superior to their Kansas City one. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

image.jpg

Sous vide duck breast (moulard) over an assortment of salad ingredients some spiralized and some not. Dressing was spicy Thai- inspired peanut butter-based.

image.jpg

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My first stab at green rice.  Pretty good but next time it needs some hotter chiles.  Served with broiled prawns and a roasted poblano-caper vinaigrette-

IMG_0343.JPG

• Like 10

Another smoked pork tenderloin.  This one was just seasoned with salt and pepper.  (I cooked it at the same time as the one I posted a few days earlier, but that one had rub on it.)  Served this one with a cherry/port reduction.  Tart cherries, ruby port, a touch of balsamic vinegar, a little sugar, salt, pepper, almond extract and butter.  Side is cauliflower in ghee with crushed roasted/salted cashews.

pork-cherry.jpg

Dessert was "crust-less cherry pie" - tart cherries with a toasted coconut topping.

cherry-stuff.jpg

• Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Another smoked pork tenderloin.  This one was just seasoned with salt and pepper.  (I cooked it at the same time as the one I posted a few days earlier, but that one had rub on it.)  Served this one with a cherry/port reduction.  Tart cherries, ruby port, a touch of balsamic vinegar, a little sugar, salt, pepper, almond extract and butter.  Side is cauliflower in ghee with crushed roasted/salted cashews.

attachicon.gifpork-cherry.jpg

Dessert was "crust-less cherry pie" - tart cherries with a toasted coconut topping.

attachicon.gifcherry-stuff.jpg

Smoked tenderloin is such a useful thing to have in the freezer. Thaws fast for an unexpected guest meal that's a little nicer than burgers or pasta

David--beautiful shrimp and rice.  I love green rice.  I usually use poblano peppers when I make it, is that the kind you used?

Chris--I'm dragging that cookbook out as soon as I get my butt off this stool.  Your venison looks wonderful

Chicken noodle soup and a toasted cheese sandwich last night

photo.JPG

• Like 5

A simple dinner after an afternoon of shopping at Asia mart, Carniceria Morelos, Namaste Plaza, East Asia Market...and lounging around before getting into the mood to do the barest minimum of cooking.

Cantonese roast duck from Asia mart, w/ skinny wonton noodles tossed w/ the duck+bean sauce from the previous component, and with blanched kai-lan dressed w/ LKK oyster sauce + white pepper.

DSCN3665a_800.jpg

• Like 11

Looks good. If you want to try some real KC BBQ sauce, here is one from one of the oldest ones in town.  When someone says "KC style" I always cringe a little. It usually has a lot of molasses in it. 

GATES BARBECUE SAUCE

1 C. Sugar

2 Tbs Garlic powder

1/4 C. Salt

1 Tbs Chili powder

2 TBS Celery seed

2 qts. Ketchup

2 TBS ground Cumin

2 C. cider vinegar

2T. red pepper

1 1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke

1 tsp. lemon Juice

In a small bowl combine sugar and salt.  Mix well and add celery seed, cumin, red pepper, garlic powder and chili powder.  Set aside.

2.  Combine ketchup, vinegar, liquid smoke and lemon juice.  Add dry mixture and mix well.  Serve at room temperature or warm.  Store in refrigerator 2-3 weeks or up to 6 months frozen.

And one I made in an attempt to duplicate Arthur Bryant's. People who compared the original to this say it's close.

Norm’s version of the original Arthur Bryant style sauce (no tomatoes)

1 C. cider vinegar

5 T. paprika

1/2 tsp. cayenne

1/ tsp chili powder

4 T. water

3/4 tsp. salt

2 T. Gouldens spicy brwon mustard

1/4 tsp. dry mustard

Combine, put in glass jar, cover; refrigerate a few days before using.

Norm, your sauce looks good. I have questions: what kind of chili powder? And what kind of red pepper?

Thanks.