• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

Hey Franci,

Nice looking dinner!

Next time you all have the spiralized salads, I'd love to see a picture. I'm trying to imagine it.

I guess I'm still part kid at heart.

Thanks.  I will post some pictures next time. I am enjoying them myself to be honest. It's very nice to do fine angel hair salads with raw beets or celery roots.

I've also liked a lot broccoli stems spaghetti or sweet potato noodles. And I'd like to experiment with all the vegetables "rices".

Brrrrrrrrrrrr!  Baby it's cold outside.  High of 9 here tomorrow. 

Mr. Shelby got a deer for us yesterday morning --an older doe.  We like older does for a couple of reasons....they are more tender than bucks and  they have no little ones that they are taking care of.  She's hanging in the garage right now.  We will process the meat in a few days.  

After removing the innards we always take the tenderloins because they will dry out quickly.  So, last night we had venison tenderloin, baked taters and salad.

After removing from the deer 

photo 1.JPG

All cleaned up.  The smaller ones on the right are the tenderest strips that come apart from the main tenderloin.  I simply slice them a bit smaller and we gobble those up, too :)

photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

My plate.  I like my venison very very rare.

photo 2.JPG

• Like 16

Yesterday's meals.

"Stirfried Kimchi Noodles" [Paldo] augmented w/ more baechu kimchi & corned beef (both commercial) plus scallions.

DSCN3576a_800.jpg

Itek Tim.  (Nyonya-style pickled mustard & duck soup) Similar to what was posted here previously.  Note that tamarind (not lime or vinegar) and galangal (not ginger) are used.

Cincalok fried rice.  Duck fat (rendered from the excised duck fat pieces from the duck leg used for the Itek Tim), finely sliced negi, cincalok, 2-day-old rice (Basmati).

DSCN3582a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 6

On the way out of the house for a couple of days.. wanted to make a quick dinner with leftovers in the house..  Spaghetti with a triple cream sauce from the leftover cheese from New Years with the last of the arugula and bread crumbs from bread leftover from new years.. the bread was wrapped in tin foil and was chewy but, not moldy or hard. toasted in oil.  

Shaved some lemon over top.  

Never had a pasta sauce with a triple cream.  it was pretty damn good. 

16030859380_cebb9cf5b0_z.jpg

In the future, i think it's always good to over order the cheese by a quarter pound. 

16032387787_a7bc4b14eb_z.jpg

• Like 8

I recently made some tacos - decided to try and plate them all deconstructed-like to make for a fancy photo. The recipe was adapted from Starchefs, and for the beans I took the recipe straight out of Modernist Cuisine at Home.

-Sous vide blade steak (marinated overnight in a crapload of pepper, thyme, and olive oil, then sous vide in said mixture for 12 hours at 130 F.

-Harissa (I kind of spun my own by blending rehydrated Guajillo and New Mexico chilis with a roasted red pepper, lemon juice, coriander, cumin, salt, and olive oil.)

-Fennel pollen yogurt (Bison yogurt whisked with lemon juice, fennel pollen, cream, salt, olive oil)

-Bacon fat tortillas (the recipe above made good tortillas, but the bacon fat didn't really add anything. Lard would've been easier)

-Lemon-mint pickles

-Refried bean foam (delicious - pressure cooked pinto beans/lard, pureed, mixed with cream, and charged in a whipping siphon)

tumblr_nhsbpxGDi91rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 7

CP – your chicken and potato dinner looks delicious.  I’d love to hear more about soured mustard sauce – it sounds interesting.  I am so sorry about the hoax.  What a horrible thing to do to another person.  And so inexplicable. 

Shelby – we are still completely decorated, too.  I have put some of the gifts away from under the tree, but that’s all.  I’d like to hear about your oyster stew. It looks different and GOOD!

Ashen – I had to Google spezzatino.  That looks delicious!  Can I get some details on the polenta?  How thick was it?  And grilled how?  Pan grilled, oven, grill??  It just looks so toasty and wonderful!

Chris – cheated how?  It looks too good to be a big cheat!

Dinner tonight started with our usual salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_130133.jpg

A gorgeous rib eye:

med_gallery_3331_114_28758.jpg

Cooked perfectly:

med_gallery_3331_114_17573.jpg

Served with leftover collards, corn bread and some cavatappi Amatriciana from our dinner last night at Carrabba’s:

med_gallery_3331_114_189003.jpg

As a side note, we probably wouldn’t have ever eaten at Carrabba’s if we hadn’t gotten a gift card for Xmas.  We weren’t bowled over by the food, but were pleasantly surprised.  It was a very good meal and we agreed that while we probably wouldn’t bother going back by ourselves, if someone else wanted to go, we’d be happy to.

• Like 12

Nice job on the cauliflower friend rice, Franci! Need to get it back on my menu planning.

After seeing Ann's Arctic Char and Franci's mackerel, I am going to try these two new kinds of fish for me. Reading posts here always inspires me to try something new!

Super the last 2 nights:

Cheung Fun with yu choy and homemade char siu:

Cheung Fun1889.jpg

And steamed pork ribs with black bean garlic ginger. Love this with just rice...

BlkBeanGarlicRibs1892.jpg

Cheung Fun1889.jpg

BlkBeanGarlicRibs1892.jpg

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ashen – I had to Google spezzatino.  That looks delicious!  Can I get some details on the polenta?  How thick was it?  And grilled how?  Pan grilled, oven, grill??  It just looks so toasty and wonderful!

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

just realised I didn't give a temp for cooking the polenta in the pot,  starting from cold , turn it up to med high until it starts to bubble, then down to just below med  and  lots of stirring

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Chris – cheated how?  It looks too good to be a big cheat!

I weighed up two options:

• Making a full-sized batch of the Collards & Carbonara marinara. No more effort than a small batch. And, too, I could pack the rest in jars and store it.
  • Buying a good quality marinara from the supermarket.

Guess what I did.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Kim Shook: 

Soured mustard sauce,  the recipe I have is a guide more then a recipe.    Chicken stock is thicken with soured cream and seasoned with dijon mustard and coarse mustard.    I use creme fraiche  for this since the lactose free sour cream isn't cook-able. 

Odd thing with the hoax, he hasnt fled the country and  the police did get him and there is no gain in this at all for any one.

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Happy new year y'all! Been too busy cooking and eating to post but have been lurking with intent. Here's some fish sauce chicken wings which I did rather badly a couple of months ago but managed to nail it this time.

PC132395.jpg

I had a lot of crab roe and back fat leftover from a NYE meal I cooked. The white meat went to make croquettes so I was stuck with the rest. After some headscratching and several rounds of crab pate toast I decided to make dumplings out of them 蟹子餃子.

P1050009.jpgP1050022.jpg

Yesterday I bought a whole duck and felt inspired to invent a ducky dish so bought some duck eggs too. Made duck egg noodles, broke down the duck and pressure cooked a duck pho broth broth with the carcass to soak the noodles in. On top a tea-smoked duck breast and a soft boiled duck egg. I rendered the skin scraps down to make scratchings on the side. Shallots were browned in the rendered duck fat for extra flavouring! Shame there weren't any giblets with this duck.

Everything but the Quack:

P1060025.jpg

P1060032.jpg

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)
  • Like 18

Kim, it's good to know I'm not the only one still looking at Christmas lights and Santa Claus :)  Your ribeye looks perfectly cooked!

The oyster stew was a bit 'o this and a bit o' that.  In butter I sautéed onion, celery and carrot until very soft.  Then I added a cup of dry white wine, cooked that down a bit and then I added about 1/2 a quart of homemade shrimp stock.  I let that simmer for a while then I added some heavy cream, thyme, salt and pepper.  Just before eating I threw in some smoked mussels and fresh oysters.  

I hate to follow something as lovely looking as PrawnCrackers' meals!

Chili cheese dogs and curly fries last night.  

photo.JPG

• Like 8

Today we had  Finish carrot bake, ham steaks, broccoli and gravy.

It is nice to skip the standard starch dinners, I like carrots a lot and so do the rest of the family.

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Tonight we had a couple boneless short ribs plus some roasted kabocha squash and a parsnip cake made with one egg beaten with nagaimo, it was good eaten with guanciale (this one in particular has become our favourite). I should have grilled some endive or radicchio to incorporate some bitterness into the dinner.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 11