• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

David--beautiful shrimp and rice.  I love green rice.  I usually use poblano peppers when I make it, is that the kind you used?

Chris--I'm dragging that cookbook out as soon as I get my butt off this stool.  Your venison looks wonderful

Chicken noodle soup and a toasted cheese sandwich last night

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Thanks.  I always appreciate both kudos and questions about my dishes.  I did use roasted poblanos.  Also into the "green" element was zuchinni, cilantro, parsley and chives.  Then charred garlic and charred onion.  All that went into the food processor with water to make a paste.  The rice is first sautéed in oil, the green mixture added in and then more water.  I did the traditional cooking method of starting it at a boil on the stovetop, then covering the pot and simmering the rice for about 15 minutes.  Then covering the pot with a cloth towel, the lid back on, the heat off and finishing cooking for another 15 minutes.  I thought it was a bit soupy, but I've got it chilled in the fridge and will use it for fried rice tonight!

• Like 1

I'm addicted to these meaty, earthy, creamy Royal Corona beans. I slow-cooked them John Thorne style in clay for hours, with just enough soaking liquid to cover, plus a half-cup of olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, bay leaf, a bit of Mexican oregano and a couple mild dried red chiles.

beans.jpg

• Like 8

Hi everyone! It's been a while since my last posts. Well, glad to be back and get my inspiration here.

Now to what really matter, today's lunch was ramen noodles with pork belly. Pork was slow cooked in water for two hours, then quickly poached in its own broth, soy sauce, mirin and brown sugar and finished on the searzall. For the broth I used pork broth, soy sauce, mirin, sake and a little of chicken bouillon.

Photo Jan 18, 2 15 40 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 18, 2 15 40 PM.jpg

• Like 11

Okanagancook, The chili powder I use is actually a blend of dried chilis and other seasonings such as salt, cumin, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, garlic and oregano. 

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/glossary/g/Chili-Powder.htm

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

I was making this soup for dinner last night.. i have these two beautiful smoked ham hocks.. (now only one left)i added some carrots, onions, several whole cloves of garlic, some wine, a half a can of tomatoes, bay leaves, celery and potatoes with the beautiful ham hock.. diced in a couple of pieces of bacon.  people called and said, we are coming with steaks and potatoes.  i made a couple of pounds of spinach and a watercress salad.  

We were in business.  

it was smokey and rich and incredibly homey.  Using a ham hock, turned a soup that I cooked for maybe 1 hour to an hour 1/4 into something that tasted like it took all day.  the potatoes added a body. A handful of spinach at the end, brought a brightness. 

15696557083_28328cc045_z.jpg

it was raining last night.. steaks were from Cosco.  It's been awhile since I had steak from a place like Cosco.. We eat so little of it that, when we do eat meat, it's a dry aged fancy piece of meat.  I took a bone marrow out of the freezer and baked it for awhile.. i greased up my cast iron flat top and tried to create a controlled grease fire with the marrow oil.  it worked.  the marrow butter added some dry aged flavor and i salted and peppered the shit out of it.  

Served I would say around 120 as rare was requested.. i went a little over as, I don't know the meat all that well. it looked good enough.

16316432735_0027544a1f_z.jpg

Served mashed potatoes.  I hate mashed potatoes..  or dislike them. i like polenta over mashed potatoes. Or like a very small smear of them.  this idea of a bowl of mashed potatoes at the table is not something i like.. but, it was the fastest way to prepare them and the room was calling for them.  i added like a stick of butter and a half a cup of sour cream and some milk, salt, white pepper and a shot of lemon.  

Salad had a white balsamic dressing and just like a spoonful of sour cream as it was out at the last moment.  

15694022784_bbda281525_z.jpg

Dinner for 7 in just about an hour. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 19

OCelsius demands uncovering the Big Easy! Stuffed kaffir lime leaves under the skin, seasoned with salt, pepper, and the chicken was ready in 50 minutes! I used a store-bought "beer can chicken stand" and saved the drippings. Used that to sauteed steamed green beans. Added dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and a light squirt of Kraft Mango Chipotle dressing to brocoslaw, and made carrot fries.Satisfied!

Jan2015BigEasyChicken2027.jpg

Jan2015CutBigEasyChicken2030.jpg

• Like 15

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Delicious looking meals everyone.  Kaffir lime leaves and chicken!  Great combo.  

A quick dinner which was supposed to be lunch but lunch was already big enough.  Leftover 15 egg yolk pasta, duck confit and a bit of chicken breast, peas, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, Modernist Cuisine chicken stock and a couple of hunks of camembert to add body to the sauce.  

DSC00723.JPG

DSC00723.JPG

• Like 6

Short-cut pork spare ribs, sautéed with and braised with rice bran oil, ginger, garlic, salt, water; then spanking-fresh mushrooms (Chinese-type "heong koo", common oyster, enoki; added sequentially), trimmed scallions.  Seasoning adjusted to taste.  White rice.  Stir-fried baby Shanghai bok choy.

DSCN3678b_800.jpg

DSCN3678b_800.jpg

• Like 5

Sauteed up some yellow bell pepper, onion and celery....

DSCN0340_zpsd16a0419.JPG

...added a quart of home-canned tomatoes, a few seasonings, a little sugar, then poached some shrimp in it. Shrimp Creole!

shrimp creole.JPG

An earlier evening, my maiden attempt at making pho.

pho.JPG

Reasonably decent. Too much star anise. I'll correct that next time. Plus I didn't have bean sprouts on hand and it was too much trouble to go out and get some.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Grilled Japanese eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes.  Pasta (yes, it's still the 15 egg yolk stuff...all gone now) with sous vide baby octopus.  The eggplant was pre cooked in the microwave for 3 minutes then brushed with rosemary infused olive oil and the zucchini were brushed with a piquillo pepper butter.

DSC00724.JPGDSC00725.JPG

• Like 6

I was making this soup for dinner last night.. i have these two beautiful smoked ham hocks.. (now only one left)i added some carrots, onions, several whole cloves of garlic, some wine, a half a can of tomatoes, bay leaves, celery and potatoes with the beautiful ham hock.. diced in a couple of pieces of bacon.  people called and said, we are coming with steaks and potatoes.  i made a couple of pounds of spinach and a watercress salad.  

We were in business.  

it was smokey and rich and incredibly homey.  Using a ham hock, turned a soup that I cooked for maybe 1 hour to an hour 1/4 into something that tasted like it took all day.  the potatoes added a body. A handful of spinach at the end, brought a brightness. 

15696557083_28328cc045_z.jpg

it was raining last night.. steaks were from Cosco.  It's been awhile since I had steak from a place like Cosco.. We eat so little of it that, when we do eat meat, it's a dry aged fancy piece of meat.  I took a bone marrow out of the freezer and baked it for awhile.. i greased up my cast iron flat top and tried to create a controlled grease fire with the marrow oil.  it worked.  the marrow butter added some dry aged flavor and i salted and peppered the shit out of it.  

Served I would say around 120 as rare was requested.. i went a little over as, I don't know the meat all that well. it looked good enough.

16316432735_0027544a1f_z.jpg

Served mashed potatoes.  I hate mashed potatoes..  or dislike them. i like polenta over mashed potatoes. Or like a very small smear of them.  this idea of a bowl of mashed potatoes at the table is not something i like.. but, it was the fastest way to prepare them and the room was calling for them.  i added like a stick of butter and a half a cup of sour cream and some milk, salt, white pepper and a shot of lemon.  

Salad had a white balsamic dressing and just like a spoonful of sour cream as it was out at the last moment.  

15694022784_bbda281525_z.jpg

Dinner for 7 in just about an hour. 

Good idea with the bone marrow, BK.

I am not a fan of Costco's meat tenderizing process, so as you mentioned, on the rare occasions we do eat beef, I prefer to purchase unadulterated aged beef, preferably local - my go to spot is a place called Cumbrae's  - awesome product much of it produced by themselves.

Good idea with the bone marrow, BK, and the soup sounds like something I would conjure from fridge contents and the like as well.  I am a big fan of smoked meat as a flavour base in soups.

I am not a fan of Costco's meat tenderizing process, so as you mentioned, on the rare occasions we do eat beef, I prefer to purchase unadulterated aged beef, preferably local - my go to spot is a place called Cumbrae's  - awesome product much of it produced by themselves.

Short-cut pork spare ribs, sautéed with and braised with rice bran oil, ginger, garlic, salt, water; then spanking-fresh mushrooms (Chinese-type "heong koo", common oyster, enoki; added sequentially), trimmed scallions.  Seasoning adjusted to taste.  White rice.  Stir-fried baby Shanghai bok choy.

attachicon.gifDSCN3678b_800.jpg

That looks very good, huiray.

I love the look of baby bok choy in the presentation and also the texture, but I find that what's available to me can be sandy/gritty if I don't disassemble it leaf by leaf and wash it separately.

I've tried soaking in a sink full of water, turning the heads upside down in the basin and swishing them up and down, and then spreading the leaves still attached to the head under running water and rubbing them with my fingers as far down as possible without damaging their integrity, but nothing seems to work. I find the same with leeks. I'm never satisfied until I wash all the separated leaves.

Do you have a method you're willing to share with us to clean whole bok choy effectively? I would really appreciate your input.

> ^ . . ^ <

That looks very good, huiray.

I love the look of baby bok choy in the presentation and also the texture, but I find that what's available to me can be sandy/gritty if I don't disassemble it leaf by leaf and wash it separately.

I've tried soaking in a sink full of water, turning the heads upside down in the basin and swishing them up and down, and then spreading the leaves still attached to the head under running water and rubbing them with my fingers as far down as possible without damaging their integrity, but nothing seems to work. I find the same with leeks. I'm never satisfied until I wash all the separated leaves.

Do you have a method you're willing to share with us to clean whole bok choy effectively? I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks, Crepes.

Regarding the bok choy — I do basically what you described.  I usually trim off the ends (to expose fresh plant tissue) then soak the heads in a tub of cool water (on their sides w/ the cut stem ends at least partially submerged) for a while, swishing them from time to time.  The stuff I get in my parts (from several places, not just one place) have some grit, but not THAT much.  The soak-and-swishing  with, as you also describe, some parting of the lower leaves seem sufficient in my case.  If the batch is more gritty than usual I might repeat all this with a second tub of clean water.  If needed I'll just peel off the lowest/oldest leaves from those heads that have more grit, that's all.  If the heads are bigger ones I might slice them in half lengthwise and do the soaking/swishing routine.  (Perhaps the soaking and swishing for a while helps the grit/earth to soften and sink down substantially to the bottom of the tub...?) Sorry if the stuff you get is too gritty for this process. 

I basically do the same thing for leeks...  Perhaps I'll cut the leek lengthwise down to several inches from the very bottom (so it is still "one piece") then wash it under the tap in this case with spreading of the cut-but-still-attached leaves as needed.  Sometimes I'll cut around the upper parts of the outer leaves and remove the upper now-detached part of the leaves (and hence also the grit there) and process as before.

• Like 1

Ngap Tong Meen.  (Duck Soup Noodles)

The rest of the store-bought Cantonese roast duck (see here), bones, gnarly pieces, fat, necks, rest of the bean sauce, etc – were dumped into chicken stock and the mix simmered for a while...before adding in fresh Chinese mushrooms (heong koo type) and fresh oyster mushrooms and simmering for a bit more.  All solids were fished out and suitable pieces picked out into the serving bowl.  Fresh watercress was blanched in the soup/stock, fished out and added to the bowl.  Skinny wonton noodles were cooked separately, added to the bowl.  The soup/stock was finally added to the bowl.  Mangia.

DSCN3684a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 8

Thanks, Crepes.

Regarding the bok choy — I do basically what you described.  I usually trim off the ends (to expose fresh plant tissue) then soak the heads in a tub of cool water (on their sides w/ the cut stem ends at least partially submerged) for a while, swishing them from time to time.  The stuff I get in my parts (from several places, not just one place) have some grit, but not THAT much.  The soak-and-swishing  with, as you also describe, some parting of the lower leaves seem sufficient in my case.  If the batch is more gritty than usual I might repeat all this with a second tub of clean water.  If needed I'll just peel off the lowest/oldest leaves from those heads that have more grit, that's all.  If the heads are bigger ones I might slice them in half lengthwise and do the soaking/swishing routine.  (Perhaps the soaking and swishing for a while helps the grit/earth to soften and sink down substantially to the bottom of the tub...?) Sorry if the stuff you get is too gritty for this process. 

I basically do the same thing for leeks...  Perhaps I'll cut the leek lengthwise down to several inches from the very bottom (so it is still "one piece") then wash it under the tap in this case with spreading of the cut-but-still-attached leaves as needed.  Sometimes I'll cut around the upper parts of the outer leaves and remove the upper now-detached part of the leaves (and hence also the grit there) and process as before.

Give this technique a try. One I have been using to deal with difficult sandy veggies. Works very well:

Get a plastic container that is big enough, find a cover that will seal it well.

Fill the container with water and the sandy veggies to about 2/3 and seal with the cover.

Now over the sink, shake the container as hard as you can, let it rest for about 10 seconds for the sand to settle.

Repeat again until you don't get any more gains of sand settled on the bottom of the container.

I have found that two shakes are all you need, never more than three shakes to clean up the most sandy ones.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

ML Rules !

im sure those to Kitty Kats  had a sample

A few Q's :

are the eggs partially cooked ?  the albumin looks like it might be

what's that Green Stuff on the Right ?

do you partially cook the 'add-ins?'

I hope the green-ish add in's are Not:

celery, nor green bells.

Just Saying ...........

however, I do understand that Palates  Evolve   ....

so you are of the Ketchup school ?  fine

not the Bacon-on-the-top-school ?

ML Rules !

im sure those to Kitty Kats  had a sample

A few Q's :

are the eggs partially cooked ?  the albumin looks like it might be

what's that Green Stuff on the Right ?

do you partially cook the 'add-ins?'

I hope the green-ish add in's are Not:

celery, nor green bells.

Just Saying ...........

however, I do understand that Palates  Evolve   ....

so you are of the Ketchup school ?  fine

not the Bacon-on-the-top-school ?

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2