• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Anna N

image.jpg

A sandwich is a luxury for me. Homemade white bread with 24 hour/62°C boneless short rib.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

ninagluck

just what Ill need over the next few days w the 

blizzard coming.

I'll take it not so much re: bad weather , but as I bet its very very tasty

but can I forget the blizzard now before hand ?

this would be a prospective study.

a tasty one 

Edited by rotuts (log)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

A sandwich is a luxury for me. Homemade white bread with 24 hour/62°C boneless short rib.

Anna, you're killing me. I have *got* to learn to make bread with such a texture. I'm enrolled in an online course; I only need to (a) set aside time and bandwidth, (b) go through the lessons, © do the exercises and (d) assimilate them as thoroughly as you have.

That's all I have to do. Ha.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have no idea how I should translate the name of this dish. in german it is a "gröstl" , fried potatoes with onions, lots of marjoram and black pudding. fresh grated horseradish on top and the cold outside is forgotten

I remember eating something very similar in a restaurant on Prinz Eugen-Straße about twenty years ago. The restaurant was just down the hill from Schloss Belvedere.

I loved all the Austrian "nasty bits" as my then girlfriend called them, despite her being Viennese. The black pudding was awesome.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

so, we had a baby about two weeks ago and there still seems to be a wave of people coming to visit.. Last night, at 430, we get a heads up that there will be 12 people visiting around 630 or so. There are two types of people in this world.. (obviously a simplification) but, this is a food board.. So, there is this group of people that believe, "food is magic" my son is one of these people.. He just believes, anything and everything can be a boob to provide him with sustenance. I am pretty sure, the harsh reality has already begun to sink in.. i can tell it does, just by looking at his face when he tries to suck on my cheek.

But, I digress. Food is magic and it appears or is delivered by these magical elves.. And because it is magic, people can bring unannounced friends to dinner, people can cancel coming to a dinner, people can forget that they happen to be deathly allergic to certain foods that they never tell the host, among hundreds of other fun scenarios.

So, last night, after a full day of feedings gluten free vegetarians on the afternoon shift, we get notice that, there are literally 12 people arriving in 2 hours.

I had to clean up from lunch and put down a meal for the next way.

On top of the dinner part, there was bruschetta served with this edamame spread, carrots,

Pistachios, almonds, manchego, Brie, a blue, crackers, grapes, wine, cocktails and various beers.

I went to the store and purchased two 2.5 lb trays of ground beef.. Rolled them into 12 balls of meat per tray.

16185580349_9333cfa456_z.jpg

24 martins potato buns

16185927307_06b3f4474f_z.jpg

i happened to have 5 large baked potatoes in my fridge.. I cut them into cubes, tossed with olive oil, lemon, parsley and red onion.. a lot of salt and pepper... I made two heads of broccoli rabe.. steamed and added olive oil, garlic, anchovy and red pepper.

For the burgers, i made them White Maña Style.. I have a large cast iron flat top that covers two burners.. After frying up 10 pieces of bacon, i reserved the grease.. I added three sliced onions spread out over the flat top. added the bacon grease and cooked at a medium low temperature. say the grill was around 300 degrees.. I added the balls down on the grill and flattened with spatula and let them sort of steam in the bacon and onion. Was able to cook 12 at a time on the grill..

Toasted the buns in an oven. added a sliced tomato to the bottom, mayo and mustard to the top.

dinner for 12 in about 45 minutes.. ugly photo but, i must say they were fantastic.. the had that oniony flavor that the white mana burger has.. they were juicy and really good.. all the food was devoured.

16371808945_53495cb8b0_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 9

I have no idea how I should translate the name of this dish. in german it is a "gröstl" , fried potatoes with onions, lots of marjoram and black pudding. fresh grated horseradish on top and the cold outside is forgotten

It's Tirolese hash. A clever way to use up leftovers! In Germany they also have a similar version called 'farmer's breakfast', albeit without horseradish. Doubly yummy with smoked Speck.

@NinaGlück: Einfach lecker (auch mit Blutwurst mit Speck) und ganz schön clever. (translation: 'simply delicious and clever')

• Like 1

A weekend dinner:

tamales.jpg

Delta tamales are different from Mexican tamales (see link), and the traditional way to enjoy them is with chili, cheese and diced onion. I don't care for raw onion, so I leave that off. The tamales are from one of the iconic Arkansas Delta tamale joints; the chili is my own.

Edited to include: Served with arepas.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Salad and smooch(ground bison, tomatoes, onions, red peppers and elbow noodles). 

Pinto beans are soaking and hopefully we will have electric tomorrow to cook them.  Still haven't decided what to do with them tomorrow.  I'm craving cornbread and beans so I may do that with some coleslaw for lunch.

Between the smooch, bison burgers and sauerbraten I want something without meat.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Baron,  that dinner looks so good.   Great photos.

BonVivant,  Again great photos and the partridge look delicious. 

A few of our recent meals.

Carnitas%20Tacos%20January%2024th%2C%202

Tacos - Carnitas, homemade corn tortillas.

Grilled%20Dinner%20%20January%2021st%2C%

Porterhouse for two

Grilled%20Dinner%20%20January%2021st%2C%

Everything cooked on the grill.  I got the tenderloin.

Blanquette%20de%20Veau%20January%2020th%

Blanquette de Veau

Pizza%20and%20Bread%20January%2015th%2C%

Was baking around noon, so decided to make a mini pizza for lunch.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 13

Two-part meal.

Earlier – "patan".  This time I slurried the sesame oil w/ the garlic (~1½ heads worth) and zapped it for 1 min in the microwave before mixing w/ the yakisoba (3 packs).  Skipped the soy sauce, used 2 of the seasoning packs that came w/ the yakisoba.  Ate it all.

DSCN3747a_800.jpg

Later – Soup.  Chicken stock, garlic, oil, fish balls (2 types) & soft tofu (both commercial), trimmed rau húng quế  ("Thai basil").

DSCN3749a_800.jpg

• Like 4

When I was a kid, I loved liver and onions. My mother was no great shakes at cooking, but she managed this, although the liver was somewhat over-cooked to my current preference. She used lamb's liver.

I can't get lamb's liver here, nor can I get white onions. So, I sometimes cook chicken's liver with shallots instead. Cheapest and quickest meal I can put together, Served with mushrooms and spaghetti.

clp3.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpg

A warming, comforting noodle bowl for a snowy day.

image.jpg

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Shelby – hope whatever is causing the stress eases up on you, sweetie!  And breakfast for dinner is a sure cure for stress!

Thanks for the Crepes – I love pictures and hope you can post some soon, BUT I am very much enjoying your picture-less posts, too!  That pizza crust sounds fantastic.  It is my favorite part of the pizza.  I have a sorry history with pizza crust.  It always fights me, no matter how long I let it rest.  I will have to give that recipe a try.  Thanks for the link.

BKEats – your magic food theory describes the phenomenon very, very well.  I am stunned by people’s disregard of the effort and expense that it takes to put a company meal on the table and your story stuns me all over again.  The idea of dropping by with almost no notice at dinner time is enough, but to do that in a household with a new baby?  Jeez.  They should have arrived with a basketful of the best take out NYC has to offer :angry: !

Ann – everything looks delicious (that porterhouse :shock: ), but I keep coming back to look at your pizza crust – amazing.

Y’all are making me hungry.  Our house is a storm of boxes, packing paper and stacks of ornaments/decorations needing to be put away.  I haven’t cooked a real meal in forever.  Our still-packing-up-Christmas dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_144166.jpg

Chili-cheese dogs (canned chili), baked beans (canned) and fries (frozen).  On the right is my new fry dip of choice – half and half ketchup and vinegar. 

Tonight is Jessica’s 31st birthday, so (once again) no cooking as we are trying one of her favorite restaurants.  I swear if I don’t get all this stuff packed up soon, I’m going to forget HOW to cook!

• Like 9

I have been making various foods with smoked pork belly (about 2.5kg) brought back from Swabia where I recently holidayed. Since split pea soup has no looks I just photograph the rest. In Netherlands this soup is eaten with pumpernickel bread topped with a type of smoked pork belly (not like the chunk seen next to it in the photos). Btw, the German smoked pork belly and smoked sausage are enough for 3 substantial meals of split pea soup. They were cooked together in the soup, I removed and sliced them before eating.

(@Ann_T: thank you!)

ifYqfN7zOmR5h.JPG

iHUxPMIkIJ0Wr.JPG

• Like 10

Anna N (sandwiches with wonderfully fatty meat), BKEats (mini-burgers on Martins potato rolls): what could be better than that.

Tonight I had an extremely bloody rare crown mallard at a London restaurant, bit of grapeshot in, just lovely with some Côte de Nuits and then a 1998 Vega Sicilia - a really perfect winter meal. Started with langoustines with homemade mayo and some charcuterie lardo coppa etcetera. No photos I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Supper was kind of a take on Shepherds Pie based on underutilized ingredients.  I know it's supposed to be left overs but I had some ground mutton, bulgar and feta that  I combined with a take on Potatoes Anna. Topsy turvy and delicious.  Served with Domenica's goat\feta\cream cheese dip.

P1030353rs.jpg

P1030354rs.jpg

P1030353rs.jpg

P1030354rs.jpg

• Like 11

Ann_T - Your bread always gets me wishing I could make bread...BonVivant - smoked pork belly will be on the make-shift smoker next time s-i-l comes out!

Balti Chicken: I have not made this dish nor tasted it before, so I had nothing with which to compare. I found the recipe in a "Chicken" book, and I liked the ingredients list. It was fragrant, delicious, especially  with my addition of fresh curry leaves. Eaten with cauliflower rice and steamed green beans.

BaltiChicken2230.jpg

BaltiChicken2230.jpg

• Like 8

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Rice congee.

With short-cut pork spare ribs, oil, garlic, ginger, pickled mustard (harm/syun choy), Taiwanese-style preserved mustard (mui choy), fresh Chinese mushrooms (heong koo), deep-fried tofu puffs (tau pok), long-grain rice, sea salt.  Served w/ scallions & deep-fried shallots.

An earlier bowl of it.

DSCN3763a_800.jpg

A later bowl of it, with a raw egg added and mixed into the hot congee.

DSCN3768a_800.jpg

In process.

DSCN3754a_600.jpgDSCN3755a_600.jpgDSCN3760a_600.jpg

• Like 3

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog