Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Dessert

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5794 replies to this topic

#5791 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Egg Nog Ice Cream!I've been experimenting with anticrystallization additives in ice cream custards, and $1.50/quart holiday sale egg nog allows me to vary the recipe easily. I've also found flaming 1/3 cup of rum with 1T of corn syrup results in a classic holiday nog flavor, though it doesn't affect freezing much.I'm currently using 0.5g of guar gum per quart of liquid. In addition to reducing ice crystals, it also results in incorporating more air; as a result, failure to reduce the speed after it begins freezing will result in the stuff rising out the top of the ice cream machine.

Attached Images

• IMG_20121121_181606.jpg

Edited by jrshaul, 24 November 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#5792 christine007

christine007
  • participating member
  • 442 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

In a wierd way, this is using up Thanksgiving leftovers...

I had a lot of sour cream and whipped cream leftover, as well as some lovely canned organic apricots, so I made a Blancmage of sorts, using both cherry and strawberry Jell-0.
It had a lovely taste, very smooth and both tart and sweet..

Attached Images

• jello.jpg

---------------------------------------

#5793 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:31 AM

I'm cooking more blueberry jam today. The thumbprints below are topped with my homemade blueberry jam, and store-bought guava jelly. Of all the jam flavors I make, blueberry goes exceptionally well with these nutty cookies.

Posted Image

Edited by pquinene, 27 November 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#5794 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Just finished one of the plated desserts out of Eleven Madison Park: Roasted Banana Sorbet, Chocolate Custard, Sesame-aerated chocolate, black sesame paste, yuzu pate de fruit, yuzu-caramel fluid gel, chocolate tahini feuillutine, carmelized bananas, fried banana-tapioca tuile. Great, unique flavor combinations. As usual, my (lack of) quenelling skills is fairly evident.

Posted Image

Oh my, I'd love a plate!

#5795 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

After 7 years, this popular topic has so many posts our database server can no longer handle it! This discussion continues in Your Daily Sweets, Part 2!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dessert