Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

The Hot Sauce Topic

Condiments

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#31 Double 0

Double 0
  • participating member
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 01:09 PM

I just caught this thread, awbrig. You've hit on a subject that is near and dear to my heart. I have a wall in my pantry that I call the wall of flame. There's well over 100 bottles displayed there( sorry no picture I don't have digital camera). Right now I'm into el yucteco chipolte sauce, wonderful smokey flavor. As far as the tabasco chipolte, I bought it at Shoprite a few weeks ago. There's a good website www.peppers.com that probably has between 500 -1000 sauces. They also have store in Rehobooth beach De.
I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

#32 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 04:58 PM

Holy Man. My mouth and lips are on total fire right now. This is very very uncomfortable. I purchased a bottle of Dave's Insanity sauce this afternoon and put 4 drops total on 2 pieces of Connie's pizza. Holy Crap is this stuff hot...and causes pain like you can't believe...Im sweating...

What cools a mouth down?...I heard milk and that you shouldn't swish your mouth out w water...anyone have anymore tips... :shock:

PS...read this guys experience w this sauce...this stuff is dangerous!

http://www.epinions....ent_20390514308

#33 Saffy

Saffy
  • participating member
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 October 2002 - 06:40 PM

Yoghurt does the trick too there is an enzyme in milk that breaks down the capsacin ( sp? )
hence the presence of raitas with indian food to counter all that spicy stuff! Correct me if I am wrong suvir :)

#34 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 03:29 PM

So, anyone else try Dave's???

#35 =Mark

=Mark
  • participating member
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 04:00 PM

What cools a mouth down?...I heard milk and that you shouldn't swish your mouth out w water...anyone have anymore tips... :shock:

There's a contingent on the ChileHeads list that swear by bananas to knock down the heat... Posted Image
=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.
Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.
Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

#36 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 04:32 PM

never heard bananas...Ill try that out...

Mark what are your favorite hot sauces?

#37 col klink

col klink
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 04:33 PM

So, anyone else try Dave's???

Heh, heh. Oh yeah. My dad made a chicken burrito once after we went out on the town drinking and put just a shitload of Dave's on it, probably about 6 or 7 bottle shakes of the anal drano. Of course he took one bite and gave it directly to me. After a bite or two, I say embarassingly: "Dad, this is pretty hot, what did you put on this?" "Oh, just this one." "Dad! That's Dave's! Fuck!"

I finished it and was happy to do so. Though the next day wasn't too pretty.

Have you tried Dave's Insanity Salsa? or Dave's Hurtin' Habenero? Both are quite good and the salsa makes the best gaucamole.

#38 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 05:08 PM

im going to try the salsa...is it worth the 7$ for a small jar?

#39 col klink

col klink
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 05:13 PM

Unless you are a glutten for punishment, yes, it does last a long time. You don't need very much, it's just as hot as the hot sauce.

#40 Double 0

Double 0
  • participating member
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 10:41 AM

Why not make your own or buy the brand that you like and add the amount of Dave's that suits your taste?
I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

#41 col klink

col klink
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 11:24 AM

Why not make your own or buy the brand that you like and add the amount of Dave's that suits your taste?

Gee, that sounds like extra work. :wacko: :wacko:

However, when I do make my own salsa, or more to the point, pico de gallo, I try only to use fresh peppers but occasionally I'll throw in a commercial ass burner if I'm feeling lazy.

ediot: splelnig

#42 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,447 posts

Posted 16 October 2002 - 10:08 PM

What cools a mouth down?...

Sugar.

And, it's readily available. Remember that the next time you're sitting at a restaurant and your mouth is on fire.

In a small dish in the middle of the table is a little packet that holds the remedy.
"And you, you're just a stinker."

#43 stagis

stagis
  • legacy participant
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 05:34 AM

Dave's sauces/salsas are just about my upper limit on heat - after that, they're talking 'additives' versus sauce. Yeah, we've had some adventures with sauces - usually after drinking just enough to get stupid and daring.

Bananas? Huh....... might work.....

#44 sashae

sashae
  • legacy participant
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 02:55 PM

Ah yes, hot sauce, one of my faaaavorite subjects. My personal faves are...

Endorphin Rush (very tomatoey, VERY hot)

Posted Image

Scorned Woman (black pepper, vinegar)

Posted Image

Tennessee Sunshine (lots of vinegar, mild, good with eggs)

Lawyer's Breath (very garlicky, mild)

Posted Image

Pain is Good, Batch 137 (garlicky, carroty, very hot -- my favorite)

Posted Image

I fear Crazy Jerry's Mustard Gas -- I have a bottle, and it honestly feels like someone poured acid down your throat... the stuff BURNS. Different than normal pepper heat.

Posted Image

Big thumbs up for Sriracha, Tapatio, and Pickapeppa as well -- good flavoring agents for the wife, who doesn't like really hot sauces ;)

-s

#45 Shiva

Shiva
  • legacy participant
  • 247 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 05:45 PM

Habanero Piri-Piri anyone?

Posted Image

My buddy Joe showed up with a bagful of Habaneros the other day, so I slowly simmered them in oil until they completely wilted, then strained the peppers out.

Guess what Joe's getting for Christmas. :biggrin:

It's hot. 3 to 5 drops in a bowl of mild chili is plenty. Too much for Mrs. Shiva, really hot for me, and just right for my friend chile-head Steve. He was wiping his eyes a lot, so I asked him if he was crying. "No, but my eyelids are sweating." was his reply. :unsure:

#46 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 07:00 PM

Real men put Tabasco Sauce on everything. My brother, and some of my friends are Tabasco hating wimps (these are the same jerks that don't like onions with their food... I know, I'm not proud of it). Anyway, for those of you that don't know (because you're communists), Tabasco Sauce is a hot sauce made of red capsicum peppers, salt and vinegar.

The peppers are crushed, put in jars with vinegar and salt for a month or so, and then stirred for about another month or so. The result? A kickass sauce to put on anything. Here is what I suggest putting Tabasco sauce on:

Everything
Tabasco sauce goes best with everything, and plenty of it. If you happen to be sharing a meal with a Tabasco hating pussy, be sure to load it up with Tabasco and onions (they hate that). You have to be real stern with these type of people. You have to act real tough and manly around them so they feel intimidated, and it helps you feel better about yourself. If they start to bitch and moan about you being "too mean", tell them you're insecure about yourself, and that making fun of others makes you feel better.

#47 =Mark

=Mark
  • participating member
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 08:58 AM

As far as the super hot sauces I prefer Mild to Wild's Backdraft Hotsauce.

Posted Image

Jim Campbell grows and processes his own chiles and is one of few growers licenced to grow Red Savina Habaneros, the hottest! This sauce really packs a wollop, but does not have the "singed cat hair" aftertaste that many of the extract based sauces have.

Posted Image
=Mark

#48 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 04:40 PM

Well I picked up Dave's Salsa today and had some with Blue Corn chips before our homemade tacos. This salsa is terribly hot, almost as hot as the sauce. You certainly can't put much on a chip unless you want to have major pain. I drank 2 full glasses of milk while sampling it... The taste is great though...

#49 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 06:44 PM

The peppers are crushed, put in jars with vinegar and salt for a month or so, and then stirred for about another month or so.

Actually, I beg to differ awbrig. According to their website and what I had heard years past

The pepper mash is allowed to ferment and age for up to three years in white oak barrels

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

#50 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 07:03 PM

ok, Im easy...

but I could be right since your quote says up to 3 years and I said a few months which is within that timeframe :laugh:

#51 col klink

col klink
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 10:53 AM

Real men put Tabasco Sauce on everything. My brother, and some of my friends are Tabasco hating wimps (these are the same jerks that don't like onions with their food...

Oh please, I can handle Tabasco sauce without a problem. It's not the heat that I don't like, it's the flavor. Crystal just tastes a helluva lot better. Get Crystal extra hot sauce if you can. Crystal and Siracha are my favorites, but the Jalepeno Tabaco isn't that bad. Regular Tabasco is for consumer whores, go buy a tie. :raz:

#52 awbrig

awbrig
  • legacy participant
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 08:31 AM

I agree that regular tabasco sauce is very mild however it beats nothing when you are out at a restaurant and don't have any other choices...

#53 col klink

col klink
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 12:26 PM

Well, sure. When you're in the desert, you'll drink anything.

#54 Stone

Stone
  • participating member
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 12:38 PM

I'm a big fan of Inner Beauty hot sauces, which surprises me because it has a bit of fruit juice for sweetness. But it's great on burgers and other sandwiches.

I find tobasco to be more salty than hot; Srichaya is a little sweet for me.

I tried Dave's Insanity once. It's insane. I put a dab on a chip, and then shook it off. When it got into my mouth, it was like an atomic exposion. A mushroom cloud of chilli heat immediately blanketed the inside of my mouth covering the gums, tongue and throat. Ouch.

#55 joler

joler
  • participating member
  • 211 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 12:54 PM

I am hooked on Texas Pete and I have been even before I knew it was manufactured right here in my home state of good ol' NC. It's not as hot as some of the hot sauces, but it has more body than Tabasco and there's a saltiness to it. I put it on just about anything - popcorn, grits, hard boiled eggs. mmmmm
"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

#56 Schielke

Schielke
  • participating member
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 02:24 PM

Has anybody ever tried any of these mega hot sauces? Aparently the Blair's 5 a.m. reserve was the hottest ever made at 6 million scoville units. I think somebody has beat that though but I am not sure.

Is there any redeeming quality to these sauces? I love spicy food, but this seems like hot for the sake of hot.

Blair's 5 a.m. Reserve

Ben
Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.
-Mario

#57 Schielke

Schielke
  • participating member
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 02:28 PM

I did a little more research and found that there are two more sauces hottter right now.

The Source @ 7,500,000 scoville

and

Caldera (from Blair) @ 10,000,000 scoville

Descriptions of many super hot sauces

For reference, Dave's Insanity Sauce is about 150,000 scoville

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario

#58 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 02:28 PM

Why?

There is a heat saturation level that adds diminishing marginal returns to the enjoyment of a dish. And that also goes for people who are very tolerant of chile heat.

500,000 scovilles is unimaginably hot. thats like super concentrated essence of Red Savina Habenero. 10 million scovilles is pure capsaicin.
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#59 =Mark

=Mark
  • participating member
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 02:32 PM

Most of the chilehead fanatic I know consider them to be pretty much just a diversion. Entertainment if you will. The main problem is that if one subtracts the not insubstantial heat, one is left with a flavor that has been likened to singed cat hair. About the only versions I've had that had decent flavor were made by Jim Campell at Mild to Wild chile pepper company. He grows his own chiles and mixes his own sauces. My favorite condiment of his is the powdered apple smoked red savina habanero.
=Mark

#60 Schielke

Schielke
  • participating member
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 02:39 PM

Another link to Caldera

This site sells it for 250 bucks. I saw a buy it now on ebay for $295

Ben

-Freakmaster

-Mario

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Condiments