Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Blondies. Are they nice?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Sophie Cook

Sophie Cook
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:01 AM

Hello,

I've just come across a recipe for blondies and I'm intrigued, never seen this before. Are they nice? Or too sickly?

I think I may make these this evening.

Thanks,

Sophie

email: sophie@cookscook.co.uk

twitter: cookscookuk instagram: cookscookuk

#2 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:14 AM

They are nice!

Here's my recipe - 

Butterscotch Squares
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • ½ cup pecans
Melt butter, add sugar and rest of ingredients. 8X8 inch pan. 325 (140 centigrade) for 15 minutes then leave in turned off oven for 20 minute

• demiglace likes this

#3 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:16 AM

Are you referring to the bar cookies that are like brownies in shape and texture, but not predominantly chocolate? (American and British terms sometimes differ.) If so, a lot of people over here think they're great. I've always preferred brownies.

Edit: Kerry's answer is much better than mine. :-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#4 Sophie Cook

Sophie Cook
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

YUM - thank you, this recipe sounds amazing. I love Pecans :D

Ok, definitely making this tonight. Going to see my Grandad tomorrow so wanted to take something nice along.

Cheers!

• patti_h likes this

#5 Sophie Cook

Sophie Cook
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:19 AM

Are you referring to the bar cookies that are like brownies in shape and texture, but not predominantly chocolate? (American and British terms sometimes differ.) If so, a lot of people over here think they're great. I've always preferred brownies.

Hi Smithy, Yes, that's what I was referring too. Are they made with White Chocolate usually? 

I've never heard of them over here in the UK before!

#6 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:22 AM

Not with white chocolate.

#7 Sophie Cook

Sophie Cook
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:24 AM

Not with white chocolate.

Yeah - that's why I originally thought they sounded sickly, as i've seen a few recipes with white chocolate in. Basically brownies with white choc instead of dark. 

Thanks,

#8 Smithy

Smithy
  • host
  • 3,719 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

Kerry, what about with chocolate chips instead of, or in addition to, the pecans? (Can you tell I'm a chocolate junkie? :-))

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

#9 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:25 AM

Sacrilege - IMHO.
  • Smithy and MelissaH like this

#10 LizD518

LizD518
  • participating member
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

I think of them as a chocolate chip cookie in bar form.  Yum.  Anything I would put in a chocolate chip cookie would work - walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, any type of chocolate, coconut, etc...  Maybe not all in the same bar...

#11 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

Very much yum.  My mom used to make them and Irish Soda bread for sale in the summer to augment her income.  I love them as is - since to me it seems more of a caramely thing and no nuts but I don't think I would mind some mini chocolate chips (ducks from Kerry's incoming).

The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)

#12 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

Very much yum.  My mom used to make them and Irish Soda bread for sale in the summer to augment her income.  I love them as is - since to me it seems more of a caramely thing and no nuts but I don't think I would mind some mini chocolate chips (ducks from Kerry's incoming).

No need to duck - only my opinion.  I'm sure they'd be very tasty - but just not what I think of as blondies.  

#13 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

when I was a freshman in college, a F across the hall got some 'Blondies' send from his Mon

never heard of these.  he offered me one.  that's a big deal.  freshman are Soooooo hungry !

it was a bar like a brownie, but had no choc, but a a great Brown sugar flavor.

he only gave me one !

:huh:

#14 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

I thought the whole idea of blondies is that they're a cake with a brownie-like texture but don't have any chocolate in them, so adding chocolate chips would sort of defeat the purpose. Then again, I'm not a big fan of chocolate chips in brownies, either. I think the cake should speak for itself. (So to speak.)

#15 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

I thought the whole idea of blondies is that they're a cake with a brownie-like texture but don't have any chocolate in them, so adding chocolate chips would sort of defeat the purpose. Then again, I'm not a big fan of chocolate chips in brownies, either. I think the cake should speak for itself. (So to speak.)

I've never had a blondie. How sad is that? But always assumed they were brownies made with white chocolate. Guess I will have to make some to see what all the fuss is about. Don't much like brownies mind you.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#16 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

think this way :

take he chocolate out of Brownies,

and ( add ) the flavor of brown sugar.

#17 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

I've never had a blondie. How sad is that? But always assumed they were brownies made with white chocolate. Guess I will have to make some to see what all the fuss is about. Don't much like brownies mind you.

You haven't?  I've made them every time we are up north - but never left one for you I guess!

• FauxPas likes this

#18 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

You haven't?  I've made them every time we are up north - but never left one for you I guess!

Or maybe I declined! Have no memory of blondies! But then my memory is abominable. Perhaps I will make a batch tomorrow.

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#19 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Or maybe I declined! Have no memory of blondies! But then my memory is abominable. Perhaps I will make a batch tomorrow.

Perhaps because I call them Butterscotch Squares.

• FauxPas likes this

#20 pastrygirl

pastrygirl
  • society donor
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

They can be quite sweet - too sweet for me.

• Franci likes this

#21 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Perhaps because I call them Butterscotch Squares.

Okay so now we are starting to make sense. Butterscotch squares ring many bells. Blondies do not! Let's get our terminology sorted out here! When I google Blondies I come up with an awful lot of recipes that include white chocolate in some form or another.
  • FauxPas likes this

My 2004 eG Blog

#22 Sophie Cook

Sophie Cook
  • participating member
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:40 AM

They are nice!

Here's my recipe - 

Butterscotch Squares
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • ½ cup pecans
Melt butter, add sugar and rest of ingredients. 8X8 inch pan. 325 (140 centigrade) for 15 minutes then leave in turned off oven for 20 minute

Kerry - I made your recipe last night. Delicious! Thanks for sharing.

The pecans work really well.

I had to cook them for a little longer - weren't quite ready at the time stated above.

Edited by Sophie Cook, 23 August 2014 - 12:41 AM.

#23 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,623 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:34 AM

Did you turn off the oven and leave them in for the 20 minutes?

They are meant to seem a little undercooked - kind of sticky and dense.

Edited by Kerry Beal, 23 August 2014 - 04:35 AM.

#24 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

Made some this morning

http://forums.egulle...014–/?p=1983087

They are very, very sweet.

My 2004 eG Blog

#25 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

I haven't made them in a long time, but they do tend to be sweet. Most blondie recipes have an equivalent amount of sugar as brownie recipes (albeit brown sugar for the flavor), but blondies don't have unsweetened chocolate in them, so the balance is very different. I might try to make some later if I have time. I don't make them often enough to have a "go to" recipe, but I will try either Kerry's or the one in Joy of Cooking, since I use their brownie recipe more often than not. (Maybe I'll make both.)

#26 patti_h

patti_h
  • participating member
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:22 AM

I popped Kerry's recipe in the oven last night while we were eating dinner, my first batch of blondies ever. My younger son is not a chocolate fan so I figured they would be up his alley- no nuts however as he doesn't like nuts. They loved them. Thanks for the recipe Kerry!

#27 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:59 AM

Yeah. Report from family is all good. Another to add to my growing collection of baking recipes. Thanks, Kerry.

My 2004 eG Blog

#28 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

Someone with more of a sweet tooth than Anna N: how sweet *is* Kerry's recipe? Oversweetness is my primary complaint about many baked goods, but I do enjoy sweets and always go for them over salty snacks.

MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#29 teagal

teagal
  • participating member
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

Martha Stewart's Brown Butter Toffee Blondies take it to another level. I've never added the toffee bits or nuts that it called for and its still wonderful.
Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

#30 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

Well, I ended up making two batches of blondies, one from Joy of Cooking and the other using Kerry Beal's recipe. So we've got Blonde on Blonde here (with all due apologies to B.D.) Briefly: I have the 1996 edition of Joy of Cooking. It happens to be the one that many people hate. They say it's pretentious and that it no longer reflects the basic "homespun" goodness that Joy of Cooking was all about. Apparently there was a lot of input from professional "name" chefs for this edition. I had never seen the previous editions of Joy, so I had nothing to compare this one to. I generally like it a lot, not just for its recipes, it's also a very good reference. 

Anyway, their blondies recipe seems to be a perfect example of what people were complaining about. They brown the butter. There's brown sugar, some white sugar, and some corn syrup. A bit of baking powder but also some baking soda, an extra egg yolk, etc. It's a somewhat fussy recipe for blondies. Not as sweet as I expected it to be, I did like the texture, the color was on the darkish side, but in truth nothing to write home about in terms of flavor. BTW, their recipe for brownies is totally the opposite, but it's the same recipe that has appeared in all editions of the book, and it's a great recipe (as long as you use good chocolate).

Kerry's recipe is basic and straightforward, a little on the sweet side but not too much, paler in color than the Joy recipe (blonde; they were blonde!) and much more flavorful than the Joy recipe. Next time I would bake it a bit more, the texture is a little "loose" for my taste, but I really liked these. The texture is just a matter of preference. Thank you Kerry Beal! And I'm sure my co-workers will thank you tomorrow. And P.S. -- I would never put chocolate chips in these.

One more thing: I didn't have pecans, just walnuts, so I used those. They were fine, but I think pecans would be much better.