Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dinner! 2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3000 replies to this topic

#2731 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Various kinds of lamb sausages and lentils: Baked in a clay pot

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2732 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

First night cooking probably since november, due to miserable schedule the last ten days. Here's my first ever attempt at kuku sabzi, a Persian herb frittata that's apparently what Persian moms make on a busy night. Came out pretty good, if a bit browned, and some delicious and very pretty purple new potatoes roasted with garlic and rosemary and olive oil

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Hassouni, 11 December 2012 - 02:57 PM.

#2733 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 769 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

It's good you're learning that early.

Indeed. And the act of sharing it with others makes the experience complete.

#2734 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

You sure as hell get the plating spot on. I wish I could taste some of those dishes they look ridiculous. Could you maybe use the reference if you follow a book? Some of these I'd like to mess around with myself.
Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#2735 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 769 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

You sure as hell get the plating spot on. I wish I could taste some of those dishes they look ridiculous. Could you maybe use the reference if you follow a book? Some of these I'd like to mess around with myself.

Yeah, I'm happy to share the recipes. If there is any one in particular, just let me know.

#2736 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

mm84321 is that bird a snipe? and are those truffle slices in the artichoke soup?
dcarch those little meatballs are to die for.
basquecook, i like the look of that chicken and turkey soup. was the steak a kansas city strip?
kim, thank you! the goat chops were cooked just like lamb chops - salted and about 8 minutes under the broiler. leg or other parts need long, slow cooking so I'm told.
Hassouni you made kuku sabzi! but the photo isn't showing up.

#2737 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 769 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

mm84321 is that bird a snipe? and are those truffle slices in the artichoke soup?

Scottish woodcock. And yes.

#2738 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

patrickamory, "--- dcarch those little meatballs are to die for.-----"

Thanks. I thought grilled meatballs might be great. They were.

dcarch

#2739 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

Hassouni you made kuku sabzi! but the photo isn't showing up.

Hmm, it shows up for me...can anyone else see it?

#2740 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

Hmm, it shows up for me...can anyone else see it?

Yes. I'm seeing it fine here in China, although I often have problems. Chinese censorship can be random.

#2741 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Been trying to remember to take pictures when I make test dishes.

A little love for Modernist Cuisine,

Seared short rib pastrami, brussel sprout sauerkraut, mustard, toasted rye

Posted Image

Langoustine, zatar spiced lentils, lobster and uni butter sauce

Posted Image
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#2742 Keith_W

Keith_W
  • participating member
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

Beautiful as always, scottyboy!

Basquecook if you are in Spain, I would love to see you do an eG food blog some time!
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

#2743 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

This is probably the least visually appealing dinner you will see for a while, but I got home very late after a deeply unpleasant journey and was exhausted, so I threw together a very quick pork, black bean, chilli, mushroom stir fry.

You know, it tasted better than anything I have eaten all week - even if I do say so myself.

Of course, extreme hunger is the finest garnish.

Posted Image

Edited by liuzhou, 12 December 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#2744 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

Bruce – I’ve gotta try that caramel sauce thing. I am a fool for sweet/savoury combinations and Mr. Kim adores ginger, so that is right up our alley!

Basquecook – gorgeous burgers! And that fried chicken! Makes me wish I’d used the chicken last night for frying rather than grilling! I love sweet tea brine!

Dinner last night:
Posted Image
Grilled chicken, green beans, soup beans and hushpuppies.

#2745 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:39 AM

Thanks all for your comments. The steak was a Ribeye, it looks like a Strip but, it was a ribeye. It looks like it rounded out a bite more with cooking. Thanks again. So many langoustines! Do you live in Scotland or something or are you cooking these 12 dollar a piece guys for dinner on a nightly basis.

#2746 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

I had one at Mugaritz and was interested in cooking them. I live it California so I got some from Denmark. Yeah pretty expensive but I got to mess around for a couple dishes. I'll enjoy them next time when I'm in their natural region.
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#2747 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Very cool.

#2748 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 769 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

I had one at Mugaritz and was interested in cooking them. I live it California so I got some from Denmark. Yeah pretty expensive but I got to mess around for a couple dishes. I'll enjoy them next time when I'm in their natural region.

You get them live?

#2749 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Naw my fish guy had a frozen box of 7 big ones he gave me for $25 so I could mess around. The outer skin of the tail wasn't very firm, a little mealy. Was just interested in ways I could cook um.

Shipped live would be the nail in the coffin for food cost in one of my dinners...I wish though
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#2750 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 769 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Naw my fish guy had a frozen box of 7 big ones he gave me for $25 so I could mess around. The outer skin of the tail wasn't very firm, a little mealy. Was just interested in ways I could cook um.

Shipped live would be the nail in the coffin for food cost in one of my dinners...I wish though

Frozen are still good. They just dip them in chemical to prevent them from going black, which can give an off taste. I had never cooked live ones until last week. Definitely sweeter, and a much firmer texture than frozen, I thought. But yes, expensive.

#2751 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hassouni - the pics show up now. That happens to me sometimes. Looks great. I love kuku!

#2752 basquecook

basquecook
  • participating member
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

I want to see I was getting them about 5 years ago, live from Scotland and they were like $12.50 a piece.

#2753 mm84321

mm84321
  • participating member
  • 769 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

I paid about half that for 35 extra large.

#2754 C. sapidus

C. sapidus
  • participating member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Kim – Caramel sauce is good stuff. You can control how sweet by how dark you make the caramel. Nice looking grilled chicken!

Liuzhou – Looks like many of our meals, and sounds quite satisfying.

Fettucine with pink shrimp sauce – Garlic, tomato paste, and white wine, reduced. Shrimp was cooked in the sauce, and then most of the shrimp were pureed in the blender and added back to thicken the sauce. Finished with cream, S&P, and parsley. Our usual camera-shy salad.

Posted Image

#2755 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Scotty, beautiful stuff! Tell me about the Brussels sprout sauerkraut! How'd you ferment it?

#2756 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

Well...I call it kraut but it wasn't fermented. I just sweated onions in butter/salt then added a little water and reduced a couple times until they were soft enough, blanched some brussel sprout leaves, added champagne vinegar to the onions, threw in the sprouts for the final boil down and called it sauerkraut.
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#2757 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

And that pastrami is insane! I had made it before just for sandwiches but you re-therm and hunk of it and sear the spice sides and holy mother! I should have taken a money shot of the fork melting through it. I've found my favorite cut is a bavette.
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#2758 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Thanks, Scotty!

There is confusion on google re bavette. Multiple cuts of beef and a pasta are listed. What is your bavette?

Is it a fibrous cut?

#2759 ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy
  • society donor
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Also called a sirloin cap or flap. You know those butchers and their wording :wacko:

It's not too tough so I only do a 24 hour bath for pastrami instead of the 72 in MC. When I'm cooking it normal I only go 12 hours. A delicious and affordable cut at $4.25/lb with minimal trimming from my meat guys.
Oakland, CA
My Place
My eGullet Foodblog
eG Ethics Signatory

#2760 Maria C. Ascarrunz

Maria C. Ascarrunz
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

i'm brand new here, transplant from CH. go easy on me! i am loving all the wonderful dinners.

last night, the BF took our leftover pork shoulder roast (which I'd cooked for 5 hours at 250 degrees the day before) and made a kind of Chinese BBQ sauce for it, glazed the pork, then broiled it for a bit to caramelize. Alongside he made pahjeong. We've been playing around with pancakes - i made an okonomiyaki a couple weeks ago.

Attached Images

• pork with hoisin.jpg
  • pajeon.jpg