Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Philly Gayborhood Cheap Eats

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Daughter and three friends are headed to Philly this weekend and need some inexpensive B,L&D places. They are taking a bus, so they need to concentrate on the Gayborhood and places that they can get public transportation to and from. Thanks so much!

#2 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

Anything from South Street (and even a few blocks beyond) north to Race Street (Chinatown) and from the east (Old City, Front Street) west to Rittenhouse Square area) is walk able from the Gayborhood. Scores of cheap eats, maybe a hundred. Reading Terminal Market for breakfast and lunch, Chinatown, plenty of pizza joints, street vendors, sandwich shops. also lots a great choices for modest splurges including Jones, Caribou Cafe, Sampan, Tria Cafe...the list goes on.
Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

#3 rlibkind

rlibkind
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,966 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Plus, although good local public transit will enable them to reach just about anyplace, 3 or 4 sharing a cab would be almost as economical and more convenient when someplace is beyond walking distance. They're easily hailable anywhere in Center City.
Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

#4 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

AND...you can really walk anywhere in Philly. They're young, it's a great walkable town.

#5 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

You can walk anywhere in center city to South St ...to university city...and all the way south on Broad St. But I wouldn't walk very far north of about Callowhill St without some protection esp at night and esp if the kids don't have "city reflexes"

#6 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

Thanks so much for the help. It's 3 boys (young men) and my daughter. All almost 30 and they all are used to living in the city - Richmond, though - NOT a BIG city. I've passed it all on to Jessica and she echos my thanks!