Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Spring has arrived in the UK - what are we foraging?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 AnythingButPlainChocolate

AnythingButPlainChocolate
  • participating member
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:56 PM

It looks like it might be a bumper crop of Elder Flower this year, I've already filled up a freezer with it and it's only just started blooming!

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just Bristol and the surrounds?
Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

#32 offcentre

offcentre
  • participating member
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

Not many elderberries around these parts but we've had a bumper crop of ceps again this year.

Been gathering for a good couple of months now off and on - I am learning more year on year on the behaviour of mushrooms round here. Definitely more appear a couple of days after the full moon, and they seem to begin in the woods and move out onto the grassy borders as the year goes on.

With the leaves having fallen now they are getting more difficult to spot...
IMAG0267.jpg

but once you stumble across one there's sure to be more close by...

IMAG0265.jpg

This one a nice twin...
IMAG0266.jpg

There are a lot of people in my local area gathering from the same general location as me, but there's enough to go round. Here is the fruits of 2 hours of meandering this morning, just over a kilo of mostly ceps, with a few other boletus and some saffron milk caps...

IMAG0268.jpg

Some have been pickled, some dried, and a lot eaten fresh, such as this lovely cep and parmesan pizza with garlic butter for lunch...

IMAG0271.jpg

Lovely!